Some Family Portraits

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited January 4, 2006 in People
SO - you have the extended family over to your house for Thanksgiving dinner......

Then, what do you do for entertainment after the turkey and pumpkin pie have disappeared? Heee heee heee

I dragooned them into my inner sanctum in my garage, where I had esconced two umbrella reflectors at a roughly 3:1 ratio, and a 25 year old manual Vivitar 283 with a Fong Lightsphere shoved roughly onto it, to seperate the subject from the background, which was a grey studio paper backdrop. Now you gottem where you want them!! And bang away at your unsuspecting victims. The banging was done with an 85mm f1.8 on a 1Dmkll.

Many of you know that I shoot macros and landscapes usually - not people. This was my first ever attempt at this type of shooting so go easy on me when I post a few frames.

I did learn a few things from this exercise!!

1) Not all your guests will be thrilled.... surprise, surprise

2) Some could have used some costuming suggestions - "We're all gonna wear white shirts!" fer instance. Rather than plaids and stripes simultaneously.

3) Maybe a litte more wine with dinner would have helped some. Or a lot more, perhaps.

4) Shoot with an aperature smaller than f5 when shooting a group, or someone will always be just slightly out of focus. F8 or smaller I suspect is good advise for groups of people.

5) Move the lights around more, and use higher ratios for more dramatic lighting effects. But this is easier to do with models that you have hired than it is with family members who want to return to the game on TV.

6) Dim down the backround light - it is too bright here frequently.

7) Hire a make up consultant and give everyone ( guys and gals) a chance to powder their nose first.

This is a shot of my sister and her daughter

46184750-L.jpg

A nephew and his girl friend
46170002-L.jpg

Two nieces
46168147-L.jpg

Plaids and Stripes
46166747-L.jpg

There are more here - If you look at these in my gallery, please leave comments and/or suggestions

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/998459/1/46166747
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    All are very well done and some great expressions caught.My only nit pic is personal and I like background. Even with the worlds most beautiful supermodel I like background otherwise it feels to... sterile. That is just my opinion and personal taste.:):
    But even with that, I think these are fantastic photosclap.gif and I would have been proud to say I took any one of them.
    Looks like you have a cool and fun family.
    Cheers
    Tim
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Lovely shots path.. I'd be very happy with these if I'd taken them..clap.gif
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Very beautiful and natural looking portraits! I'd say you can be proud of these.
    I like the plain background. Gives a nice crisp look.

I appreciate the pointers you give here since I know nothing about taking indoor portraits. The lighting is very tricky so I usually opt for natural light by a window or outdoors.

One pointer I found useful is in Scott Kelby's book. He suggests using the clone tool at about 20% strength to clone some flesh color over the shine spots on noses and foreheads. Works like a charm and doesn't affect other parts of the photo.

Nice work here.clap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 3, 2005
    Thanks, Snappy, Lynn and Shakey, for your comments.

I wanted to shoot with a plain background for several reasons, not the least of which, was the spare tires, screen doors and weight machines that would have been seen without the background screen.icon10.gif

I have seen the vari-colored screens, but thought plain grey could be altered to look lighter or darker by lighting it differently. I didn't really attempt that with these images, but it is a plan in development. A black background might be nice also.

Grey makes color balance easy too, since you can just click with the grey brush in ARC and bingo!!

I do have some shiny spots I could retouch better - I know.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Hi pathfinder
    Great Photos!clap.gif
    I usually do the same thing with family get togethers.
    I have a hard time finding new models.
    I have had a broke arm the past few weeks so, no photos
    from me this Christmas or thanks giving. I was looking back threw
    photos I took last year and found one of a family member that pasted away.
    I am going to print a 8X10 to give to each of his kids.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com