Options

Another guy from last week

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 3, 2013 in People
Headshots for music theater and general use. Nice young performer.

i-vhZcFxq-L.jpg

2. i-fmBP5kM-L.jpg

3. i-WwgzW2c-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    valdanovaldano Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Very nice set. Really like the intensity in the eyes in the first. Well done!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Love #3, on 1 & 2 the lack of the focus field bothers me eye but that is just personal preference.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Nice set Diva. Love the logo too! That's new.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Lighting in #3 is great. I agree about the focus in #1. Straight-on shot needs both eyes in focus, IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2013
    Thanks!

Eric's a cool kid - he's been at Peabody as an operatic baritone, but wants to go on in Music Theater or stage management (hence the more casual "fun guy" look as well as the "intense performer". Really fun shoot. Also, I finally got to try out a location I've wanted to use for AGES - there's an empty building just up the street from my house that has a metal fire escape. You can't go on the steps - the actual staircase is decrepit, clearly unsafe and, appropriately, fenced off - but you can shoot under and around it, and from the right angles it makes a perfect "faux urban" location in the middle of my very green and suburban neighbourhood. Super useful for my short session when I don't really want to go on location lol

Yup, Alex - with as many shoots as are coming in this summer, I really felt like I needed to up the professional ante a little, if only to keep things consistent. After months trying to design a logo myself, I realised they were all incredibly amateur, and decided to use the talented and delightful Zack Baldwin to design one for me (one of my better decisions - he's AWESOME). Still tinkering with how to use it (I now find myself wanting to redesign the blog to showcase the logo lol), but very pleased, particularly with this watermark version of it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2013
    JPC and Hack - are you guys not seeing the eyes equally sharp in #1? DoF is shallow and focus fades fractionally quicker on the camera left side, but the eyes are both sharp. He wears contacts and I noticed in several shots as I edited that they sit differently on each eye - I wonder if that's what makes it look different at this size and rez? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    His eyes seem sharp and everything on that vertical plane seems sharp but in front of and behind seem out to my monitor. I tried to download the image to look at it closer but it won't open and now I can't delete it.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2013
    no that's about right. I shot it shallow on purpose, so as long as both eyes are good, it was stylistically as intended (although possibly another half stop down or step back might have been warranted). Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Hmmm...

His right eye (screen left) does look softer than the other one in number one to me too.

Really like the expression in number two.

Lighting is fantastic in three. Wish his finger tips weren't cut off though.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    One thing I noticed is his right eye is slightly smaller than the left, so I would have turned his head slightly to the left, so the right eye was a bit larger, or look equal to the left. This was one of the things that Doug Gordon brought up in his recent workshop on Creative Live, and it has me looking closer at the eyes now. He stated that everyone has one eye larger than the other.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams