Options

12" Laptop Screens

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 20, 2005 in Accessories
I am looking at a new laptop and have read most of the archived threads on the site about them. I am leaning towards a Dell 700M with a 12" truelife widescreen. It is supposed to have the best screen clarity around and is a compact size for travel and carrrying.

Couple questions: Can I use Photoshop reliably on such a small screen? I am not doing profressional editing, just my own work for 4X6 prints, no monster poster sizes, no weddings, just normal day to day Photoshop.

A lot of you guys like your 12" Powerbooks, so operating system discussion aside, the screen size must be ok for you. What resolution do you run and can you handle the small font size as a result? I notice that you can increase/decrease the resolution to get larger font sizes, but at some loss of clarity. I also note you can change the DPI to get larger fonts - what's the differance or trade offs?

I have read some of the notebook forums as well, and most really like this Dell 700m form factor, but they are mostly college students with 20 year old eyes!

Anyone here abe to comment on 12" screen size, resolution, and Photoshop? DoctorIT?

Thanks,
Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Paging DoctorIT
    Anyone here abe to comment on 12" screen size, resolution, and Photoshop? DoctorIT?

Paging DrIT! Help please!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    I've used a 14" iBook for photoshop, and its a bit tight. Nothing I cant used to, but just more hassle.
    TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 6, 2005
    Yes sorry ... here I am!

What's the question?

For the record, I have 27 year old eagle eyes. I tend to be a bit deaf, but my vision is my super power. Or at least has been, After my last eye doctor visit this past summer, I'm down to 20-15L and 20-20R. *sigh* I am getting old.

As for the 12" screen, the PB runs at 1024x768. Its been fine for me for over a year now. It would be nice to have more, but I make do. Then again, I don't exactly do tons of photoshop. I use the file browser and do lots of basic work, but for most of it, I just zoom to about 50% and just work on a portion of the image and hope it works out on the rest uniformly. Not ideal, but fine for the masses. The slickness and portability far outweighs the grandeur of post processing on a 23" cinema display.

As for font sizes, I can't say I've messed with that on MacOS. I've left it on default and been more than happy.
    ne_nau.gif

As for the 700M, I'll put in another good vote for it. Winger has one (I think) and the true-brite screen sure is nice, brighter in fact that the PB, I must say.

Hey, there's an idea... WINGER TO WHITE COURTESY PHONE!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    I just got a Dell X1 which is a "super portable" at 11" x 7" x 0.98", and 2.5 lbs. It has the wide-aspect 12.1-inch screen. I've only had it 2 days, but I am quite pleased so far. Having no problem running PS/CS.

The screen resolution is 1280 x 768, which is higher than I run on my 19-inch CRT (Optiquest Q95).

Color accuracy looks good, but I have not tried to calibrate it.
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, there's an idea... WINGER TO WHITE COURTESY PHONE!!!

You have to turn the ringer up louder, I couldnt hear it.

I have the dell 700m....I LOVE it.
    why, cause its easy to carry, it goes everywhere and the screen is really sweet.

I cant really comment on using photoshop since well I use it very little.......but the screen is really sweet.

I may have some calibration issues with it, but give me a day or two and i will get back you on that.

Sorry it took so long.