Options

Teaser from Today's Session - Inspired by Michael Glenn and Qarik

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 11, 2013 in People
Had my second session with this gal. If you recall, I shot photos of her a couple weeks back in her prom dress. Mom & Dad hired me for a second session, this time cap and gown and some portraits in something a little less formal.

I've really been digging the stuff MichaelGlenn has been posting, AND Daniel (Qarik) asked... Well, he bitched at me to find a new location to shoot so I tried to incorporate a little of Michael's style and some different backdrops for Daniel.

Here is the first shot that really jumped out at me:

8992064361_350fa63133_b.jpg

BTW, I'm pretty damn happy with how my skills have progressed. I've really found a groove where I'm shooting a heck of a lot less frames and just nailing shots with little effort. I really owe a lot to this community for that. I've learned so much from you guys and I really appreciate it.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    Gorgeous light, and the long grass looks great (although must have been miserable to sit in - be careful of foxtails, especially with dogs!! Loads of problems with them this year in CA, I gather)

Will she be ok with the nose in this one? Since you've mentioned it, it's now what I look at first - I never would have noticed it otherwise (note to all women: stop hammering on about your flaws since they're not what most people see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Gorgeous light, and the long grass looks great (although must have been miserable to sit in - be careful of foxtails, especially with dogs!! Loads of problems with them this year in CA, I gather)

Will she be ok with the nose in this one? Since you've mentioned it, it's now what I look at first - I never would have noticed it otherwise (note to all women: stop hammering on about your flaws since they're not what most people see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yeah ladies! I tell my wife life is to short to worry about such things and I always promise her that I will never by a lens that makes her look fat.
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    Looks amazing dude! Love the light, and the fields surrounding her truly bring out an angelic/heavenly quality to her. I'm glad my recent posts have inspired you to take your work a little out of your comfort zone and create more awesome work. Keep us posted on the rest of the set, I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Like I've said before, you've improved a ton. Hard work pays off. thumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    divamum wrote: »

I think she'll be fine. Both her and her mother shared how absolutely ecstatic they were with the last set. I posted some of them on my FB page, which she shared and made a couple her profile and cover page. She told me she has a couple friends that told her they keep going to her page to look at them. I'm quoting her... "I'm being FB stalked because you made me look so pretty." Laughing.gif
    lensmole wrote: »
    Yeah ladies! I tell my wife life is to short to worry about such things and I always promise her that I will never by a lens that makes her look fat.

I agree so much with this.
    Looks amazing dude! Love the light, and the fields surrounding her truly bring out an angelic/heavenly quality to her. I'm glad my recent posts have inspired you to take your work a little out of your comfort zone and create more awesome work. Keep us posted on the rest of the set, I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Like I've said before, you've improved a ton. Hard work pays off. thumb.gif

Thanks Michael. I will post some more from the set as I work through them.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    Natural light & reflector?
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    I am impressed... then again I usually are with your work. I hope over the years here I will look back and see my own work progressing as well. I need to spend more time with the camera though. For you though, love this shot!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    The highlights on her hair take this shot from good to wonderful.

Would have liked to see her shoulders less square to the camera.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    Great lighting and color. Ditto on the shoulders.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    Natural light & reflector?

Nope. Natural light and Alien Bee AB800 in 4' Octobox. I'll take the fact you thought I used a reflector as a compliment!
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    I am impressed... then again I usually are with your work. I hope over the years here I will look back and see my own work progressing as well. I need to spend more time with the camera though. For you though, love this shot!

Thanks Phil. You've progressed quite nicely but yeah, it takes practice.
    The highlights on her hair take this shot from good to wonderful.

Would have liked to see her shoulders less square to the camera.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Great lighting and color. Ditto on the shoulders.

Thanks guys. I do agree on the shoulders but luckily she's a tiny girl so I don't think it ruins the image.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    oh thank the lord no more bridge! =) You nailed it. Love the sun as the rim light but if you wanna go all Micheal Glen then you need to add some flare! Get the sun in the frame through some tree branches!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    Nope. Natural light and Alien Bee AB800 in 4' Octobox. I'll take the fact you thought I used a reflector as a compliment!

Nice. You mind sharing the set up? Im assuming AB camera left @ about ___ ft away @ F___ ?.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    Nice. You mind sharing the set up? Im assuming AB camera left @ about ___ ft away @ F___ ?.

Sure... AB800 on camera left about 5 feet from her. Metered at f/2.8.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    I like the setting and mix of colors and light.... she looks like she just wants to be done, not sure about the tilt.