Options

Post! Share! Comment!

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 17, 2013 in People
Just seems this place is dead at the moment. I know a lot of us are busy (me included), but this isn't the dgrin I know and love - there are only about 5 people posting consistently and it's sooo slloooowwwwww. Been getting more and more so in recent weeks - doesn't seem just like a "folks are on vacation" thing.

If you're a newbie, post a picture!! I swear we won't bite. I can honestly say that dgrin was the best "photoclass" I ever took, and I wouldn't be shooting professionally now if folks in here hadn't taken me under their wing, kicked my butt, and pushed me in the right directions. I know that's true for a few of us, so don't be shy - we've all been n00bs With A Camera and far from being judgmental would love to help!

So scroll down the index and find a post that interests you. Read. COMMENT!!! I'm on a personal quest to ensure that there are NO posts that have "0" in the right hand column for more than a day or so. Critique is not only welcome but encouraged in here, so have at it (in a kind and constructive way, of course) Gathering your thoughts in response to a photo is the best way to learn!

:lust

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    I agrees, this be depressing. I longs for the days of yore whit's the contentiousness or not types of posts and threads.

Ifing ya'll don't start a posting I might be forced to post some darn horrible people types of pictures and youse don't want to sees that!

Sam
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    I don't have anything to post, cause I was told to throw all mine away, and was never given any help on improving, so now I mostly lurk and occasionally post here and there.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    I don't have anything to post, cause I was told to throw all mine away, and was never given any help on improving, so now I mostly lurk and occasionally post here and there.

GaryB

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! It makes me so sad to hear you feel like that, and I can only attribute it to the general lack of involvement in the last few months. Post - you're great at chiming in on other people's work, and I'm sure people would love to reciprocate! It can help, too, if you indicate WHAT you want to improve when you post - I have never known dgrinners ignore specific queries when they are presented, and it also gives the commenter a better sense of the poster's level so they can measure their comments appropriately thumb.gif
    I agrees, this be depressing. I longs for the days of yore whit's the contentiousness or not types of posts and threads.

Ifing ya'll don't start a posting I might be forced to post some darn horrible people types of pictures and youse don't want to sees that!

Oh no.... we don't want THAT now do we?!?!?!?!? :giggle Even worse, it'll be Alex and Qarik having shirtless competitions. C'mon, lurkers, SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Just seems this place is dead at the moment. I know a lot of us are busy (me included), but this isn't the dgrin I know and love - there are only about 5 people posting consistently and it's sooo slloooowwwwww. Been getting more and more so in recent weeks - doesn't seem just like a "folks are on vacation" thing.

If you're a newbie, post a picture!! I swear we won't bite. I can honestly say that dgrin was the best "photoclass" I ever took, and I wouldn't be shooting professionally now if folks in here hadn't taken me under their wing, kicked my butt, and pushed me in the right directions. I know that's true for a few of us, so don't be shy - we've all been n00bs With A Camera and far from being judgmental would love to help!

So scroll down the index and find a post that interests you. Read. COMMENT!!! I'm on a personal quest to ensure that there are NO posts that have "0" in the right hand column for more than a day or so. Critique is not only welcome but encouraged in here, so have at it (in a kind and constructive way, of course) Gathering your thoughts in response to a photo is the best way to learn!

iloveyou.gif
    Diva,
    It's been dead for a while. This is nothing new. Think I waited several days before my FS thread was finally updated to Sold. That's just one category...
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    Is it just the People forum or the whole place? I've been away for a while (3 years?...) and I'm glad to see so many familiar names/faces but the whole place seems a lot quieter than I remember it.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    darkdragon wrote: »
    Is it just the People forum or the whole place? I've been away for a while (3 years?...) and I'm glad to see so many familiar names/faces but the whole place seems a lot quieter than I remember it.
    Yeah, been quiet for a while. All over the forum...
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    I think it is the whole place, but perhaps we can stimulate things in this little corner, if not elsewhere. It's sad that traffic has dropped off as much as it has, since this has always been (IMO) one of the nicest photographic corners of the internet. Fewer fanboi wars and genuinely helpful - but not cruel - commentary. And butt-kicking available as needed (I'm not all hearts and butterflies - without being pushed outside one's comfort zone, it's hard to grow..........)
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    Wish I could be more active.

I took on a HUGE commercial job. The past 30 days have been 12-14 hour days, seven days a week. I have about 60 more days to go.

None of the product I'm taking or directing can be posted. I don't even have the time to comment on the things I would like to comment on, much less take images I'm allowed to post.

Hopefully, in a couple of months, I'll be back to normal.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    Dude, even in your slow(er) periods you're one of the people I consider to be ACTIVE around here these days thumb.gif Sounds like a very huge job - good luck with the long hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Peter JPeter J Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2013
    Well, I am a new user ... and yes, it's a bit slow here. I'll try to write someting now and then!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 10, 2013
    darkdragon wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems to be the whole site, has been like this for a while. I don't post here in People because I don't take people pics - I'm more of a landscape and flowers gal - but I still lurk here, help in the customization forums. It's very quiet there as well, very disconcerting.

--- Denise
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    Yes it is slow. I for one have been struggling to maintain an interest in my photography due to life changing family issues. I planned to use my camera to add to our income a little, but the thought of clients makes me feel too pressured. I had soo many shoots last Christmas, made great money but I can't bring myself to finish off a few lagging edits for 3 families. UGH!! I have done zero since 2012 and it is not bothering me at all. someone kick me or something
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! It makes me so sad to hear you feel like that, and I can only attribute it to the general lack of involvement in the last few months. Post - you're great at chiming in on other people's work, and I'm sure people would love to reciprocate! It can help, too, if you indicate WHAT you want to improve when you post - I have never known dgrinners ignore specific queries when they are presented, and it also gives the commenter a better sense of the poster's level so they can measure their comments appropriately thumb.gif

Oh no.... we don't want THAT now do we?!?!?!?!? :giggle Even worse, it'll be Alex and Qarik having shirtless competitions. C'mon, lurkers, SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Oh it's ON! I have been dieting and working out..I will have shirtless photos in about a month!!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    canamcanam Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    You know it's slow and people are busy when anonymouscuban hasn't posted on his 356 day project for weeks. right.wings.gif
    :photo
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013

iloveyou.gif

I'm thinking that's because any negative feedback is taken as an offense on this board nowadays..
    you are 100% correct, this is the best (and only) way to truly learn, but when people have no thick skin and mods who are "just tired" of negative feedbacks..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Oh it's ON! I have been dieting and working out..I will have shirtless photos in about a month!!
    clap.gif
    is everyone on the health kick of late?

I know Alex got my ass in gear a while back, and i've been working in that direction, too. thumb.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    You will get more responses if your post a photo of yourself. People respond more to faces than the other avatars that pop up here.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    canam wrote: »
    You know it's slow and people are busy when anonymouscuban hasn't posted on his 356 day project for weeks. right.wings.gif

what a slacker right? I mean 9 more days and t would have been a year...ne_nau.gifrofl
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Post! Share! Comment!
    Perhaps Andy moved on at the right time...
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Inactivity feeds on itself.
    It takes longer to do the work to post a few pictures than it does to read the few responses.

I imagine Facebook could be cutting into the activity as well.

Speaking for myself.
    Photos that I post on my Facebook, Fred Miranda and my 500px page get so much more response than I get here.

I check in here a couple times a week to see what is going on, usually not much.

Yeah anonymous...what is up with your project :), everytime I check in I look to see if you have posted any new shots.
  • Options
    canamcanam Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    what a slacker right? I mean 9 more days and t would have been a year...ne_nau.gifrofl
    was it that close......time flys. oops
    :photo
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Ive been working on a film project lately and wont have digital scans of the negatives till tomorrow. Once scanned, Ill post.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You will get more responses if your post a photo of yourself. People respond more to faces than the other avatars that pop up here.

What does an avatar have to do with replying to a message? I see a lot of people using photos of their children for their avatar and they get replies. It seems to me the only ones that get replies are those who use flash/strobes. Those who shoot natural light, their posts go unanswered, or if they do get a reply, they are told to start over. This is why I quit posting here until I get my flashes and remote triggers. Then we will see if I'm offered tips on improving, or just told the same old thing. If it ends up being the same old thing, then I'll just move on to another message board that I just found.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2013
    My images are commented on, most of them are shot in natural light..

If you want to have people ooh and ahh about a subpar images instead of learning how to better yourself, you are correct, this board may not be the best match for you.

That said, however, this specific forum has been a grand help for me.. yes, my images were ripped apart, yes, i was told "same old thing" over and over again. But I listened, and tried to adjust for it. and grew a thick skin.

Sad, though, I thought your images were improving...
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    "What does an avatar have to do with replying to a message? I see a lot of people using photos of their children for their avatar and they get replies".................................

I belong to a number of forums and having your image as the avatar puts a person to the post and makes it seem more human. Might be old fashion but I've seen it happen often that when the photo goes up so do the responses.

" It seems to me the only ones that get replies are those who use flash/strobes. Those who shoot natural light, their posts go unanswered, or if they do get a reply, they are told to start over. This is why I quit posting here until I get my flashes and remote triggers. Then we will see if I'm offered tips on improving, or just told the same old thing. If it ends up being the same old thing, then I'll just move on to another message board that I just found".......................................

Posting ones photos is equal to bearing your soul to the world. At times I'd be more comfortable running thru the church naked than to post and ask for cc (insert hardy laugh here). I see many sub par, read that as not professional, portraits here and hopefully comments made are to help not tear down. It is hard I admit to have one critique a photo that the maker thought was his/her best, but at best it was simply a cute capture. Many points have to be made to consider making the top print and we need to learn the rules before we break them.

I still have my feelings hurt for a split second when I enter my prints into competition and hear the judges comments.....you know what.....they're always correct.

Lastly, photographers don't paint with oils, they paint with light. Doesn't matter if electrical on sunshine the rules still apply. If one has poor lighting with natural light they probably will have the same with strobes.

I've been doing this for 30 years and I'm still learning. I can name your at least 20 photographers who have helped me grow and will still blow me away. As you climb the ladder it gets tougher so prepare for that.

Anytime you have a question PM me and I will be happy to help.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    What does an avatar have to do with replying to a message? I see a lot of people using photos of their children for their avatar and they get replies. It seems to me the only ones that get replies are those who use flash/strobes. Those who shoot natural light, their posts go unanswered, or if they do get a reply, they are told to start over. This is why I quit posting here until I get my flashes and remote triggers. Then we will see if I'm offered tips on improving, or just told the same old thing. If it ends up being the same old thing, then I'll just move on to another message board that I just found.

GaryB

First and foremost, let me say this: All of the growth I have made as a photographer in the last three years is directly related to this forum. The feedback that I have received from all of you has helped me immensely, and I expect / hope to keep getting it.

As I can not speak for anyone else, I will simply say that I comment on the photos that move me one way or the other or where I think that I can be helpful. When I don't know how to help, I mostly leave it to the ones who have more experience than I do, as I'd rather "...remain silent than remove all doubt" as the saying goes.

Now, specific to you Gary, - all I can say is thanks! You specifically pointed out some things on one of the photos I was working on recently that needed fixing. I had not seen it prior to your comments, specifically the shadow on a soccer goal keeper I had done in a composite was all wrong. Your comment led to others and eventually I was able to see what you were all talking about and fixed it, or at least it seemed better to me after I reworked it. Here is the specific thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=234435

So again, I say to you thanks! thumb.gif

Now let me address your comments here:

In the 93 threads that you have started here at Dgrin only 11 have gone without comment, and of those 11, only 5 were posted here in the People forum. So, that is a pretty low strikeout percentage, 5.3% to be exact (I'm sure that there are a lot of MLB players that would gladly trade). Out of those only once have I see you told to start over http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1832351&postcount=27 and that in a thread that had 35 replies. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=228552&page=2

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being told to "start over" and being told to "go away" are totally different things. Just cause Sam is a bit direct is no reason to leave, quite the opposite. You have to love him for it. He gets right to the point and doesn't waste your time. Anyway, if you can take a few deep ones, I think you will find that this is a great place to be because we are all here, including you. :D
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2013
    I am not a frequent poster but I have learned a lot from this forum...actually I was just looking back at all of the threads that I have started and it was nice reminiscing. I check the site several times a week to see what is happening.

There are a couple of reasons that I can think of for me not posting more often. 1) I don't post just to post. I try to have something to say or if a photo moves me. 2) There are some people that tend to be jerks when they post. If they are active in a thread then I just move on because I don't want to deal with them.

There may be a couple more reasons...ah...screw it, maybe I just need to post more! ;)
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2013
    Love all these responses.... and the new posts that have been appearing! iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

What I would say is... a community is only as active as its participants. If everybody waits until somebody else posts, nobody ever will :D