Options

Photoshop This!

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited June 17, 2013 in People
I heard you needed more posts. So I thought it might be fun to offer up one of my images to anyone to retouch, post, and share. The first image is my take, a minimal monochrome conversion. Under that is the link to the full rez DNG, straight out of the camera. I'd love it if you would download the image, whip up your take, and then post the results. Feel free to do whatever you like. This photo released to you under a creative commons license (CC BY, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). The model has a release, so you are free to go to it. Enjoy.

IMG_9670-L.jpg

http://blog.ryansimpkins.com/IMG_9670.dng (Note the file is about 18MB in size). I would encourage you to do the same with one of your images.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Great idea!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Nice image Ryan.

Thanks for posting this! It's been so long since I did something with an image just for fun, I forgot how much I enjoyed it. This was just the medicine I needed. (Along with a nice Sambucca).

Hope you enjoy my "take" on your excellent image!

9020303841_5b9679879b_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2013
    Nice image Ryan.

Thanks for posting this! It's been so long since I did something with an image just for fun, I forgot how much I enjoyed it. This was just the medicine I needed. (Along with a nice Sambucca).

Hope you enjoy my "take" on your excellent image!

Oh man, that's great. And you did it so fast!
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    i-v6cXZnn-X2.jpg

Or perhaps I misinterpreted your intent...? ne_nau.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Or perhaps I misinterpreted your intent...? ne_nau.gif

Not at all! That is great! Good job, very interesting concept.
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    Really cool thread you started! Here's my version. Tried to give it that classic film look.

9025639240_d277aa8ba7_c.jpg
    Little lady by Michael_Glenn, on Flickr
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    And me on travel :-( I like very this idea though. I will give it a shot when I get home this weekend. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2013
    Three different versions. This shot is so sharp and nicely lit that in some ways it's a shame to do more than process it very "straight"; my first version was quite similar to Bryce's. However, decided to play a little more - I didn't like how close the rh side was, so opened that out and then did three different processing styles.

Most of the editing done in LR; slight skin softening and canvas extension done in PS; B&W conversion done in Nik Silver (I might have been able to do reach something similar in LR, but I'm still learning my way around Nik and using it whenever possible for practice)

Natural
    i-htZ8BTS-L.jpg

A little bit "edgy" (only a little, mainly to bring out those EYES!!!!)
    i-3n8X7vK-L.jpg

B&W
    i-rRKnfF2-L.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    DIVA wins!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Really cool thread you started! Here's my version. Tried to give it that classic film look.

Very interesting take. There is a kind of texture to it that seems to come across. I almost want to use the word "grit," but it isn't really gritty. A better word might be "presence." It has a rather dimensional feel to it. It seems slightly on the red side to me on my screen, but I'm wondering if that is because it is uncalibrated.
    divamum wrote: »
    Three different versions. This shot is so sharp and nicely lit that in some ways it's a shame to do more than process it very "straight"; my first version was quite similar to Bryce's. However, decided to play a little more - I didn't like how close the rh side was, so opened that out and then did three different processing styles.

Most of the editing done in LR; slight skin softening and canvas extension done in PS; B&W conversion done in Nik Silver (I might have been able to do reach something similar in LR, but I'm still learning my way around Nik and using it whenever possible for practice)

Natural

A little bit "edgy" (only a little, mainly to bring out those EYES!!!!)

B&W

I really like these. I especially like the reinterpretation of the framing. This kind of visual communication and reinterpretation is really powerful. What I find interesting is comparing these with Michael's take. Notice under and around her chin? Each take has a different effect with how the chin and face "pop," which seems to have a big impact on how they feel. I especially like the "edgy" one and the effect on her eyes.

Each one so different. I'm impressed. thumb.gif I'd love to see more new folks jump in too. Many times a fresh set of eyes can unlock new ways of thinking.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Good essay Ryan! Bryce did okay and Divamum did good with the B/W version . I am not a color guy and don't pretend to know much about photoshop but I have never liked how lightroom processes raw files for color. Nik silver efex is okay but if you have the time Lightroom can do a bang up job for a B/W conversion. I know what I like and the edit michelglenn did stands out the most to me.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    I ilke my crop, but I think I like MG's and Bryce's processing better than mine (those are probably closer to what I'd have done if we weren't expressly looking for "unique" alternatives). I went too light and bright for the setup - it works (kind of) although is perhaps a tad unnatural. A texture over the background could be fun; didn't have time to add one, but could be another fun look for it.

Great idea to post this Ryan. I have an image I might share for editing - I think it's a neat idea for a thread! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Cool.. might have to take a crack @ this tonight after work!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Also wanted to say I LOVE the Alice composite! Adorable!
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Generally speaking I don't know anything about posing or proper camera angles when making such

images. However I did read somewhere that a persons eyes should not look in the opposite direction of

their nose, although that is not the case in this image. I do see her eyes looking in the same direction as

her nose but to the extreme showing the white part of the eye and when a person looks to the extreme

right or left it also causes the eye to bulge and I see this as a distraction.Can anyone

elaborate on this subject and provide a rule of thumb or some type of guideline on what is acceptable

and what isn't ?
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Love the idea! Love the original! And I am fascinated by the submissions so far.

I needed a break at work, so I decided to try a natural and a black and white take. I also wanted to use a square crop because to my eye, for some odd reason, it plays up that quirky little lift in her bangs. Anyway...here goes...

1. Natural

i-zH7Qsz9-M.jpg

2. Black and White

i-TsX9fjJ-M.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    OK... here is my go at it:

i-vnn65BR-XL.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    You guys are totally inspiring. More ideas...

Sunflower
    i-tsC7ssZ-XL.jpg

Infrared
    i-7GGPt9J-XL.jpg

Old Chems
    i-QGztLsm-XL.jpg
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Here's my interpretation. Thanks for posting the original!

i-H8RqNjC-X2.jpg
    John
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2013
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Here's my interpretation. Thanks for posting the original!

Great job. Was the border something you got some place, or did you actually build it?
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    RyanS wrote: »
    Great job. Was the border something you got some place, or did you actually build it?

Thanks, Ryan. I used Florabella actions to do that.
    John
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Thanks for the great thread Ryan!
    Fun to see all the interpretations, and to do one too...

I was captivated by this young lady's azure gaze, so, I went antique with extra blue.
    i-cbw2h6D-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Here's my edits ...

9051444065_accf2a1948_b.jpg

For the color version I wanted to give her a slight vintage look. Something about her kept me thinking this was taking many years ago fore some reason. I didn't want to lose the amazing eyes along w/ the edit so I knew I had to somehow keep that a nice focal point. W/ the B&W I just went w/ the flow and wanted to keep some of the minimal freckles I smoothed out in color. I feel B&W gives you the obligations to show more details since its a monotone image so I like to leave a little more texture then I would if it where color. This was a good workout to utilize some presets I have made in LR4. Some awesome ones in here, hope to see more.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2013
    Hummmm... for whatever reason my version of Adobe Aftershot Pro won't import this file. Just curious, did you convert it to a DNG from a different RAW file type? Google tells me that ASP doesn't work with converted files for some reason. Oh well, if I ever get it to work I will give it a go.

Gaby617 - I am really liking your color rendition above. Very nice!!
    -~= Philip =~-
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2013
    I think Corel makes AfterShot Pro, not Adobe (it looks like a Lightroom knock-off). I exported this image as a DNG from Lr 3. It was originally a Canon RAW file. Is there an update to ASP or something that fixes DNG import? I would contact Corel and ask. Not supporting converted DNGs seems really... odd. I'm sure there is a good reason and I'd love to hear what it is. Converting to DNG is the recommended procedure by Adobe as it eliminates potential issues with proprietary camera support in the future. DNG is an open standard, making it more likely it will be supported long-term. That openness should mean it is possible for Corel to easily implement it in to their products. I wonder if Corel makes a similar recommendation about RAW conversion.
  • Options
    CowgirlMamaCowgirlMama Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2013
    Hi. I'm new, but couldn't find an intro section, so I guess I'm just jumping in. :P Here's my edit.

wqU9OhD.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2013
    Hi. I'm new, but couldn't find an intro section, so I guess I'm just jumping in. :P Here's my edit.

Wow, that is really splendid. I love the look. I wondered when someone was going to post a low-contrasty version. I'm kind of a sucker for the look. You did a great job. Welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2013
    RyanS wrote: »
    I think Corel makes AfterShot Pro, not Adobe (it looks like a Lightroom knock-off). I exported this image as a DNG from Lr 3. It was originally a Canon RAW file. Is there an update to ASP or something that fixes DNG import? I would contact Corel and ask. Not supporting converted DNGs seems really... odd. I'm sure there is a good reason and I'd love to hear what it is. Converting to DNG is the recommended procedure by Adobe as it eliminates potential issues with proprietary camera support in the future. DNG is an open standard, making it more likely it will be supported long-term. That openness should mean it is possible for Corel to easily implement it in to their products. I wonder if Corel makes a similar recommendation about RAW conversion.

Yeah, it is Corel, sorry I was typing in an airport and not thinking completely. I thought it odd that it wasn't supported as well. Not sure I would call ASP a knock-off as Bibble had been around for quite a while. It is nice to have something that works in Linux even if it is only about 90% of LR. I am pretty sure it is suppose to support it, but there is a bug that does not allow it. I have tried on my Linux machine at home and Win7 box at work. Hopefully they fix it soon. (I won't hold my breath though).
    -~= Philip =~-