Haves & Have-nots

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited June 20, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Scene/background seemed too busy for B&W...

C%27mon%20Man-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Yeah, I think you're right about the B&W.

Great photo, and I love the title too. I clicked expecting one thing and had to smile when I saw this instead.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Great capture earache ! I dared to use another crop with some alternative processing.

i-n8mTgT7-L.jpg
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Demian wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you're right about the B&W.

Great photo, and I love the title too. I clicked expecting one thing and had to smile when I saw this instead.

Thanks much for the comments and feedback Demian - appreciated.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    I like the expressions you captured on the boys Earache, and really like the 3-D depth each of the subjects has.
    edited June 14, 2013
    lensmole wrote: »
    Great capture earache ! I dared to use another crop with some alternative processing.
    Interesting take lensmole - many of your treatments are edgy and creative and I am generally a big fan of such approaches. On this one, I think I still prefer color so that the subjects (skin-tones) separate from the background.
    Thanks so much for your comment, interest and efforts!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited June 15, 2013
    I had to play with this a bit too, Earache :p I think it makes a good B&W as well. If you heavily reduce the yellow and blue in the B&W conversion (I am using Photoshop CS6) the skin tones pop pretty well... in my opinion at least.

Either way, I really love this shot :X
    edited June 15, 2013
    mayfly wrote: »
    I like the expressions you captured on the boys Earache, and really like the 3-D depth each of the subjects has.
    Thanks mayfly - free Ben & Jerry's was the catalyst for these lads that day.
    3D-ish is often my goal in processing, so, good to hear.
    I had to play with this a bit too, Earache :p I think it makes a good B&W as well. If you heavily reduce the yellow and blue in the B&W conversion (I am using Photoshop CS6) the skin tones pop pretty well... in my opinion at least.

Either way, I really love this shot :X

Ha.. ha.. :giggle you guys are gonna wear me down, probably... rolleyes1.gif
    Please post your edit Demian, would love to see it!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited June 15, 2013
    This is what I was thinking

i-2PDgvw7-L.jpg

Not that I'd necessarily go B&W. There are some beautiful colors in there. Just saying I think B&W is viable too :)
    edited June 15, 2013
    I don't see how the parking meter adds anything to the story, if anything it distracts my eye.
    edited June 15, 2013
    Yeah, I see that. I was on the fence about cropping it too.
    edited June 18, 2013
    This is what I was thinking

Not that I'd necessarily go B&W. There are some beautiful colors in there. Just saying I think B&W is viable too :)

Looks great Demian - very nice tones - I think it works, especially in combination with lensmole's suggestion for a tighter crop.
    lensmole wrote: »
    I don't see how the parking meter adds anything to the story, if anything it distracts my eye.

I agree lenmole - it's a better composition (emphasizing the boys) without the meter. I left it in because I thought it was an interesting object...

Thanks, you guys, for the feedback and discussion!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    This is a wonderful shot telling a nice story! This works in color or B/W and is a preference of the photographer. The meter does not add, but it really does not distract and adds a slight setting cue, though again, photographer's choice. But if you were to crop it, you would have to change the aspect ratio or enlarge the entire photo, perhaps losing some balance in the process. I can see leaving it as in the original post.
    edited June 20, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    This is a wonderful shot telling a nice story! This works in color or B/W and is a preference of the photographer. The meter does not add, but it really does not distract and adds a slight setting cue, though again, photographer's choice. But if you were to crop it, you would have to change the aspect ratio or enlarge the entire photo, perhaps losing some balance in the process. I can see leaving it as in the original post.

Thank-you for your detailed, agreeable, comments rainbow - I think you've identified a very salient aspect to this process in that some factors are very subjective, and are - ultimately - a matter of photographer's choice.
    I find the process interesting, challenging, and often surprising at what appears at the convergence of the photographer's work, and the viewers experience.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited June 20, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Thank-you for your detailed, agreeable, comments rainbow - I think you've identified a very salient aspect to this process in that some factors are very subjective, and are - ultimately - a matter of photographer's choice.
    I find the process interesting, challenging, and often surprising at what appears at the convergence of the photographer's work, and the viewers experience.

The subject is the most important part of any image and is deserving of as much attention as the photographer can give it.