My Tokina 12-24mm f/4 test photo's!

MidnightHourMidnightHour Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited December 5, 2005 in Cameras
I received my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 in the mail today from B&H and I've got to say, I think I'm going to have some fun with this lens. Out of all the lenses listed in my signature, this one is THE most solid by far. Very sturdy and well built. I took some test images and put them on my photo album. All images are straight out the camera except for a level adjustment in PS.

http://MidnightHour.smugmug.com/gallery/1011283

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    How much did it cost you ?
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • MidnightHourMidnightHour Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    How much did it cost you ?

B&H for $499 + shipping. thumb.gif Great price for something so competitive for the $900 Nikkor!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    B&H for $499 + shipping. thumb.gif Great price for something so competitive for the $900 Nikkor!
    The lowest they go is $475 on ebay, I wouldn't pay any less just to protect myself against scammers. But yes, $500 is a great bargain considering the price of the Nikon lens.

I'll own one soon, for sure.
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    I own this lens as well and love it. I think it's sharper than my 50 mm prime. My entry for the dgrin photo challenge that actually won was taken with this lens at 12 mm.

By accounts, the Nikon equivalent is a slightly better lens, though subject to sample variation (a lot of them are said to be soft) and it's not twice as good at twice the cost. The Tokina is a winner, and built like a tank. I dropped mine from waist high onto concrete and the repair bill was $0 (nothing broke except a scratch on the casing). If I were buying a superwide again, though, I'd take a close look at the Sigma 10-20, by all accounts a really nice sharp lens.