My first media job!

DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited June 22, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Heeey, I hope this is the right forum for this?

I volunteer photography for a local LGBT nonprofit. When this year's PrideFest came up, a small paper asked me to document the event for them! It paid a decent amount and I got a media pass (which was awesome!) so I could get in free, avoid security, go backstage and talk with the performers, etc. All for work that I would have been doing for free anyways!

Well the paper finally came out, and they used my photos in a 4 page spread (out of about 28 pages of content). And my facebook just blew up when the photos came out! It's been so much fun! Here's the spread:

i-XSPCTMx-XL.jpg
i-brVCfSr-XL.jpg
i-hcMXnbS-XL.jpg
i-thQVBHd-XL.jpg

I also got to talk to all kinds of people and hear their stories. One couple had an autistic kid whom they hardly had any pictures of him smiling due to his condition. I was able to get a beautiful full-frame shot of the kid and a family portrait, with him smiling in both. I showed them and promised to send it, and it really seemed to make their day.

Sooo yeah, I just wanted to share my story of excitement! Also if you guys have any criticism on the photos I am open to that too. :D

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Demian, congratulations on the gig! They made a great decision in hiring you as your photos are really good! When shooting ppl, you got great isolation and angles and expressions and your action shots give all the perspective to speak for themselves. Very well done!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    Demian, congratulations on the gig! They made a great decision in hiring you as your photos are really good! When shooting ppl, you got great isolation and angles and expressions and your action shots give all the perspective to speak for themselves. Very well done!

15524779-Ti.gif Absolutely fantastic images Demian. clap.gif I would never have assumed anything but a Pro at work here!
    The publication layout looks great also!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Thanks guys! I had really forgiving conditions... it was overcast almost the whole weekend. I also had a lot of room to work with, so I was able to use my Canon 70-200 2.8 on almost all of these.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Looks like you captured some great images! Ones that could stand out well on their own. Do you have any favorites you can show us ?
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Oh yeah, I got a zillion of them.

1. Backstage at the dance pavilion
    i-C7TdZW5-L.jpg
    2. Hanging out at the Pride parade
    i-ts738pd-L.jpg
    3. A "drag king" show
    i-mKkRWwj-L.jpg
    4. The staff @ our nonprofit
    i-cpxGNwX-L.jpg
  • mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Many really great image in the newspaper. Of your favorites, I like them all, but for me #2 stands out.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Brilliant work Demian! Very lively images packed full of energy #3 is outstanding.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    clap.gifclapWell done!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited June 22, 2013
    I'm a little late to the party, but I think these are all very good. Nice work. thumb.gif