Options

Bad hair day and new toys...

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited June 17, 2013 in People
I picked up a pair of speed lights the other day. I have zero experience with them, but the guy I purchased them from gave me some pointers so I played around with them a little before bed this morning (I work nights). This is what I came up with, just using candid's of my girl friend getting ready in the morning:

No flash
i-3jFhCWq-L.jpg

On camera only
i-dVdGH74-L.jpg

On camera and second flash as a rim? light
i-JjVNNqK-L.jpg

My take on PP with the rim light
i-kdxFZLF-L.jpg

Other than the entertainment center making for a not so great background, any thoughts on the lighting? I have zero experience with artificial lighting, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013
    Using lights has quite a learning curve.
    Keep playing with them and experimenting. Research practice...repeat...
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2013
    Start out in a darker room. The ambient light is not going to let you see where you light is going. Start with one light and move it around you subject as the center and the light as the radius. Watch the shadows and where they fall. Keep the light at the same distance. After you complete the circle move the light back further or in closer and do it again. Note how the shadows might have changed. Even raise or lower the light.

Then set one light behind you aimed at the subject , this will be your fill light as it will fill in the shadow area. Move it in and out and notice how strong or weak the shadow area gets It would be helpful to take images and notes so you could duplicate what combinations you like

Good luck.