You want to join an Art Gallery?!?

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited June 19, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
So said my wife 8 months ago when I told her my goal for 2013. She did not understand why I can't be happy with the occasional people photo shoot and selling my landscapes at Saturday market. Oh the joy of breaking even financially after spending soooo much time working to do so. :huh

So, late September I set a goal of joining an Art gallery. Because I didn't want to completely dismantle and change my existing SM site, I chose to create my own site (with the help of a paid internet site guru). I have opended up my own Wordpress site at www.prismaticimagery.com.

Before I did that though, I completely re-thought my fine art post processing and chose a certain style to fit most of my images. I researched print companies and of course chose Bay Photo to print my work in Metal Prints and framed in the float mount style in classy black wedge wood frames, it's a bit pricey for larger prints, but looks oh so nice. :thumb

After the site and imagery was complete I created a cover letter, completed a gallery application complete with an artists statement and resume (little as it is) and submitted my interest to the gallery with 4 physical sample pieces. Total in - about $2,000 and countless hours of time and research.

I just got the news today that I have been accepted as a gallery member and will debut on July 2nd.

The even better news is that this is primarily a painter/sculptor gallery that typically frowns on photographic art of any kind. The outside jury they used was wowed by my work and all the other gallery members seem genuinely excited to include me as a member. :clap

Just had to share what phhotography is doing for me after 7 years of constant trying to get any kind of traction. I am excited even if the wife is not :rolleyes
Lee Wiren

Comments

• AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Wiren wrote: »
    So said my wife 8 months ago when I told her my goal for 2013. She did not understand why I can't be happy with the occasional people photo shoot and selling my landscapes at Saturday market. Oh the joy of breaking even financially after spending soooo much time working to do so. eek7.gif

So, late September I set a goal of joining an Art gallery. Because I didn't want to completely dismantle and change my existing SM site, I chose to create my own site (with the help of a paid internet site guru). I have opended up my own Wordpress site at www.prismaticimagery.com.

Before I did that though, I completely re-thought my fine art post processing and chose a certain style to fit most of my images. I researched print companies and of course chose Bay Photo to print my work in Metal Prints and framed in the float mount style in classy black wedge wood frames, it's a bit pricey for larger prints, but looks oh so nice. thumb.gif

After the site and imagery was complete I created a cover letter, completed a gallery application complete with an artists statement and resume (little as it is) and submitted my interest to the gallery with 4 physical sample pieces. Total in - about $2,000 and countless hours of time and research.

I just got the news today that I have been accepted as a gallery member and will debut on July 2nd.

The even better news is that this is primarily a painter/sculptor gallery that typically frowns on photographic art of any kind. The outside jury they used was wowed by my work and all the other gallery members seem genuinely excited to include me as a member. clap.gif

Just had to share what phhotography is doing for me after 7 years of constant trying to get any kind of traction. I am excited even if the wife is not rolleyes1.gif

Congratulations on a job well done!thumb.gif
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Lovely site. Congratulations :D
  • mtoddmtodd Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    Congratulations on your gallery acceptance! Judging from the quality of your work, you will have great success! I simply love your web site! Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Michael's Outdoor Photography

Canon 7D|Canon 350D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8 Macro|17-55mm f2.8|24-105 mm f4.0 L|70-200mm f2.8 L|200mm f2.8 L|400mm f5.6 L
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    mtodd wrote: »
    Congratulations on your gallery acceptance! Judging from the quality of your work, you will have great success! I simply love your web site! Please keep us posted on your progress.

15524779-Ti.gif