Options

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited August 16, 2013 in Cameras
Morning Folks,
I see that B & H Photo is now accepting preorders for the latest Sigma creation. Any one interested in such a lens ? I've only seen one preview of it, and apparently the images were sharp at the wide and long end. Unfortunately, they didn't say whether or not any of them were taken wide open. [url]Http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html[/url]
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    This is an interesting focal range for me. I shoot quite wide most of the time and primarily of the landscape variety. I do however shoot a some photobooths and portrait stuff. I think this would be great length for a photobooth, but I currently have the range covered with my 17-50. I also shoot with an 11-16 2.8 for my super wide stuff. I think the 1.8 will be quite helpful for my night shooting which I am going more and more of, and of course it will be great for the right kind of portraiture. I do really want the lens, but since I have a 2.8 with more focal range, it is making me consider it a bit more closely.

But it's still a 1.8 zoom, and that's cool!
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2013
    This one is on my short list if I stick with APS-C cameras for a bit longer. Considering going full frame shortly, but not sure on my timeline for the move. I've been shooting mostly landscape & travel shots lately and this would be pretty darn perfect I think.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2013
    ZBlack wrote: »
    This is an interesting focal range for me. I shoot quite wide most of the time and primarily of the landscape variety. I do however shoot a some photobooths and portrait stuff. I think this would be great length for a photobooth, but I currently have the range covered with my 17-50. I also shoot with an 11-16 2.8 for my super wide stuff. I think the 1.8 will be quite helpful for my night shooting which I am going more and more of, and of course it will be great for the right kind of portraiture. I do really want the lens, but since I have a 2.8 with more focal range, it is making me consider it a bit more closely.

But it's still a 1.8 zoom, and that's cool!
    Good Afternoon Zach,
    I have the 17-50 2.8 (Tamron) as well, but I believe 1.8 opens up more night opportunities, not to mention the extremely thin dof.
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2013
    bike21 wrote: »
    This one is on my short list if I stick with APS-C cameras for a bit longer. Considering going full frame shortly, but not sure on my timeline for the move. I've been shooting mostly landscape & travel shots lately and this would be pretty darn perfect I think.
    Good Afternoon,
    You can probably use it on ff, but it would vignette like crazy. Might create some interesting, artistic wise, images. Here's a shot I took about 9 yrs ago using a Sony F717 and a tc.
    Jim...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 15, 2013
    The Digital Picture has a full review of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Digital Picture has a full review of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx

looks good, just some slight vignetting on full frame
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 16, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    looks good, just some slight vignetting on full frame

You have to go to this page in order to see the FF performance at different focal lengths:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx#FULLFRAME

With the hood on and at the wide setting, vignetting is pretty strong. Take the hood off and it's not the worst I've seen, but still obvious.

FF vignetting is least at the 28mm through 35mm settings and without the lens hood.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I currently have one in my posession right now, a final production version, and I just shot the Perseid Meteor Shower with it, as well as a 3-day Hindu wedding. THIS LENS IS INSANE!!!!!

You simply shouldn't think of it as competition to a 17-50 2.8 range lens. That's just not what it does. It is a prime lens that can zoom. And as such, it is the best thing since sliced bread. Actually forget that, sliced bread has got NOTHING on this puppy...

The focal range is perfect for general photography in low light, candids, the "hey can you take our picture?" type stuff. Before, I always hated the "hey can you take our picture?" times of a wedding day, but now with this lens I feel liberated to shoot both creative artistic shots, and the obligatory stuff all with the same lens. I know that f/1.8 on crop is probably still roughly equal to f/2.something on full-frame, as far as DOF is concerned, but either way it is just a gorgeous and fun lens to shoot with.

The focal range is almost perfect for landscape photography; I would have *killed* for it to be a 16-24mm or 15-24mm APS-C lens. But honestly this is mostly just because of my hobby in star trails and night timelapse filming; really as a general nature / landscape lens it fits beautifully in among other lenses such as the 10-20 or 11-16 range, and maybe with the likes of the gorgeous Sigma 50-150 2.8 on the long end I would have a totally complete crop-sensor outdoor photography kit!

2013%20perseid%20meteor%20shower%20joshua%20tree%20ca-XL.jpg

The bottom line is that I would buy this lens in a heartbeat if I weren't currently so tied down to a full-frame system for wedding photography. On a Nikon D7100 or a Canon 70D, this lens will truly sing...

The OTHER bottom line is that I absolutely cannot wait to see what they do for the full-frame range, and what the "Art" series brings in the near future in general. Sigma is IMO currently the most innovative lens designer in the industry, surpassing both Canon and Nikon's stale old concepts of aperture and zoom range...

A full field review and test will be coming in the next few days to SLR Lounge, as usual... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I'll be upgrading to a D7100 in the next couple months, and I'll very likely pick this lens up at the same time if it's available.

Great to hear some more love for this lens!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4