A Whale of a Time

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 29, 2013 in Journeys
Went out on the ocean with some friends last Sunday. Had a great time and saw some cool stuff. We left out of Santa Barbara and went all the way out to Santa Cruz island. Saw sea lions, dolphins, humpback whales and some other cool stuff. Chilly day but we had a great time.

This is my friend Steve. Everyone calls him Whale because he's a big guy and he loves the animals. He goes out on this boat often and knows the entire crew. Nicest guy you'll ever meet.
DSC_3325-Edit-XL.jpg

Apparently, this bird is able to read:
DSC_3328-Edit-XL.jpg

Leaving the port. It was early but already a ton of activity on the water. This guy was going out on a kayak:
DSC_3333-Edit-XL.jpg

Sea Lions on a buoy as we headed out to sea:
DSC_3337-Edit-X2.jpg

Everyone on the boat insisted these were dolphins but I wasn't fooled. I know sharks when I sea them:
DSC_3348-Edit-XL.jpg

More sharks following the boat:
DSC_3371-Edit-XL.jpg

My wife catching a shark breaching on her camera. I wonder if she got the shot:
DSC_3417-Edit-XL.jpg

This guy was checking me out. I think he wanted to have me for breakfast:
DSC_3427-Edit-XL.jpg

We saw around 15 different humpbacks. Unfortunately, I packed light and didn't bring a longer lens. This is the best shot I got of the whales:
DSC_3503-Edit-XL.jpg

Our friend Whale and little Panini:
DSC_3508-Edit-XL.jpg

More of my friends enjoying the day:
DSC_3544-Edit-XL.jpg

Whale teasing me that this is the only chance I got to get a good photo of a whale:
DSC_3545-Edit-XL.jpg

Santa Cruz Island:
DSC_3571-Edit-XL.jpg

Tons of birds perched along the cliffs. Hope you can see them amongst the poop:
DSC_3578-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_3583-Edit-X2.jpg

Some pelicans roosting on the edge:
DSC_3590-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_3596-Edit-X2.jpg

More friends... Jess and Amanda. Normally, I guess the boat goes inside that cave but the water was too rough:
DSC_3601-Edit-X2.jpg

My wife was very happy:
DSC_3612-Edit-X2.jpg

The coast of Santa Cruz island as we headed back to Santa Barbara:
DSC_3614-Edit-X2.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the photos. Wish I had some more exciting shots but I just wasn't prepared for shooting long distance. Next time, I promise.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2013
    Looks like a great time. I love going out to the Channel Islands.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    gee, I wonder where steve is from? if only there were some clues to help us figure that out? hehe

cool shots!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    Thanks guys. Laughing.gif @ Daniel.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    I'm staying out of that water for sure. Look at how deformed those sharks are.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    Steve has the proper attire on!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    Fabulous shots! I remember heading out to Catalina years ago on a friend's boat (well, her family's) and the dolphins caught a ride in the wake - soooo cool seeing them right alongside!

Funny story about your "sharks": on the same trip, I had the chance to water-ski for the first time. I LOVE the water and am a good swimmer, but I had told everybody before we got there that if I saw so much as ambiguous seaweed I'd be out of that water before you could say a word. In any case, apparently while I was enjoying my turn (read: making a complete fool of myself), a sea lion was bobbing right next to me! I was so distracted by the impossibility of getting up on skis that I didn't even notice him lol
  • daniel212daniel212 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2013
    Your photo is very cool and clear. Look so great photos and you caught very nice photos. I really enjoying all photos.
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2013
    great pics- if you get a chance I recomend kayaking santa cruz island, going through the sea caves is a blast!