Options

Attemt #2 - Outside this time

bipockbipock Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited June 18, 2013 in People
Moved this shoot outside despite the chance for rain. Used on camera flash for lighting this time.

I think the WB is better, seems the overcast skies helped me on this one.

Let me hear the C&C.

untitled-0405-L.jpg

untitled-0409-L.jpg

untitled-0417-L.jpg

untitled-0426-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2013
    Color looks fine thumb.gif

This maybe a matter of taste, but they could be a little brighter on her face for me, though - doesn't look like you've blown out the whites except for a little on his white shirt so I'd push exposure/whites a little more; you can dial the contrast back a little bit to recover those few blown highlights.

When I have to use on-camera flash outdoors, I usually clone out the pinhead catchlights; again, personal taste, but I just don't like the way the the small catchlights look (especially when centered in a pupil) so I remove them.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2013
    Thank you kindly divamum. I tried to make sure I didn't blow in anything in camera, so I paid extra attention to the histogram in camera and in LR5. There is actually a very, very slight gap on all the pictures on the right side, so I could push it but decided to leave well enough alone. Nothing showed as blown out and I thought it best to stop while I was ahead, especially with all the whites in some of the images.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    I think the pose where she sits on the tracks is a bit awkward...looks like she's trying to avoid something sharp. I like the rest; and LOVE the closeup--nice work!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    I think your color and exposures are very nice, however I would never generally recommend white clothing for portraits unless going for something special. Bright colors put weight on and come forward out of the photograph first so your looking at her legs first then her face. On the second one my eye seems to be going to his mid section as it stands out against her blouse which is darker.

On the first one there is an old Texas rule than if it will bend, bend it, if not break it. (gets rid of stagnant straight lines)

I like the second one but the bright spot behind her head is a tad distracting. But the stance is good and the arms out accent a womans curves. Watch out for splayed fingers.

Try cloning in the bright spots above their heads and see if you like it better.

Keep posting.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2013
    Thanks Charles. I didn't pick her outfit, so I had to work with what she wore. Quite honestly, I never thought it would be white. Great point on the lines - something I noticed as I edited them last night. I'll try cloning out the bright spots and see how it goes.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    You need to recommend what to wear (especially guys) but I understand you've got to go with what they bring.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You need to recommend what to wear (especially guys) but I understand you've got to go with what they bring.

I normally do. This time I forgot, which is funny because the one color I never want then to wear is the color of her shirt. Those "pinks" give me fits in PP.