Making of Chimichurri

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited June 18, 2013 in Street and Documentary
So I started this little series because I think food photography is kinda fun...but then it occurred to me that it would be the perfect opportunity to play and learn with different apertures (the iris, not the program). I was using a tripod so shutter was a moot point. Light for the herbs is one of those sun tunnel skylights and I was shooting with a 100 2.8L. It was also an experiment in cooking as I'v never made Chimichurri before, but it's super easy and tastes AMAZING. :ivar

These first two are f2.8, which clearly provides way too shallow DOF. I wish I had caught this on the first go around, but it took my non photographer girlfriend looking at them on the camera to notice that it was way too extreme (way to pay attention me!). :huh
i-VXH5cHt-L.jpg

i-bcZLG92-L.jpg

These next two are at f7.1. DOF is more fitting to the subject I think. But maybe I should have gone even higher? I was thinking blur the background to draw the eye to the herbs, but now I'm thinking maybe it would have looked better if everything were in focus?
i-9kFH4wz-L.jpg

i-85DNLJw-L.jpg

Ahhhhh! A gremlin is trying to steal my shallot! I used some fill flash on this one, but think I should have held the flash at a higher angle.
i-DRRdM3L-L.jpg

Taken courtesy of my girlfriend, my hands were too covered in meat juice and carbon from the grill to handle my camera...
i-Lb6Z4CR-L.jpg

The final product! The sun had set, so I used flash for this. I should have focused on the front of the meat, and much more DOF. Maybe more of a straight down shot? But I kind of like the lower angle too...:dunno
i-C3vSpTh-L.jpg

I'm not entirely pleased with my setup for the shots. Different angle, different props positioned around the herbs, something. I'm not entirely sure what that something is though...thoughts?

Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    that looks effing delicious
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    Yeah, shallow DOF is not cutting it... Not experienced here, but I would look in food magazines to see what angles they shoot at and if there is any bokeh/shallow DOF. Looks like the dish was delish, though!