My baby steps in macro photography(reverse lens)

riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited June 20, 2013 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone!
I hope everyone is doing great! :D
Well I tried some macro photography using a reverse lens technique. I reverse-coupled an old Nikon 35mm 2.8 lens to the 55-200mm lens and took some photos. External flash unit was also used on the subject which in this case is mosquito,

DSC_0174a_72res_rs_zpsc756dc35.jpg

DSC_0168a_clored_cropped_72res_rs_zpsc5d6643a.jpg

C & C welcome :D

I have some questions here!
Like is there anyway I can achieve my subject in full focus? at least the head? with all these details?
I tried focus staking technique but I couldn't find it feasible as a minute camera shake changes the position of focus! so is there any other way?
or should I try 18-55mm instead of 55-200mm lens?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    Good start. Think I would first try shooting at a lower magnification eg using the reverse lens coupled to the 18-55 lens with it set at 35mm which should give you 1:1 magnification.
    Brian v.
  • riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    Thank you for the reply Brian :)
    Can you please tell me how do I know whether the magnification is 1:1? is there any criteria for it? it just confuses me!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    riz_sat wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply Brian :)
    Can you please tell me how do I know whether the magnification is 1:1? is there any criteria for it? it just confuses me!

1:1 just means 1cm of subject will give you 1cm of image on the sensor. You can test the magnification you are using by taking a photograph of the cm scale of a ruler.

then magnification = width of sensor (mm)/ mm shown across the photograph.
    Brian V.