Options

Auto Focus issues with 1Dx Camera bodies

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited September 28, 2013 in Cameras
I just read about issues with certain 1Dx camera bodies here - http://www.canonrumors.com

Anyone else heard about this issue?

I do have a 1Dx with the 6 numeral in the serial number being a 1, and the battery compartment markings are absent, so my camera is potentially a candidate for service, although the AF on my camera has been superb, best I have ever had.

I did not find any notification of this issue on the Canon website.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    I suspect that if you contact Canon they will ask you to return the 1Dx body for free service (lubrication) as a preemptive measure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    I missed that product advisory page, Ziggy.

Interestingly, i had my 1Dx serviced by CPS after I got home from the Death Valley workshop, as I wanted it cleaned and examined after a week in the sand in the desert in Death Valley. They did not mention this issue then which was April 18, when they completed the service for my camera body.

I just spoke with Canon Customer Service and their recommendation was to ship the body back in for evaluation and remediation. Specifically, that I definitely SHOULD send it in for revaluation and service. Which I will do in the next few weeks. Arrgh!

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    Man, why am I not surprised?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Interestingly, i had my 1Dx serviced by CPS after I got home from the Death Valley workshop, as I wanted it cleaned and examined after a week in the sand in the desert in Death Valley. They did not mention this issue then which was April 18, when they completed the service for my camera body.
    Maybe it wasn't a known issue back then? I know that when I had my 5DMKIII's viewfinder fixed under warranty last month, they even upgraded my firmware to the latest rev.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Man, why am I not surprised?
    As a Canon user of nearly 50 years standing, I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the rising frequency of half-baked, under-whelming and/or defective products being released onto the market!

As if any more proof is required, it's becoming more and more apparent that Canon takes its user base for granted and has completely lost its way. Very sad to see the former market leader going down the gurgler.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Maybe it wasn't a known issue back then? I know that when I had my 5DMKIII's viewfinder fixed under warranty last month, they even upgraded my firmware to the latest rev.

I think they routinely upgrade firmware to the latest revision, when ever a camera body is submitted for other service. At least that has been my experience., Joel.

It is annoying, but complex, electro-optical devices may need service from time to time, and that is why I pay for Canon Professional Service; so I can have my investment in Canon tools maintained, and serviced. It will probably take less than 5 business days round trip, if it was like it was in April.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    I just received an email from Canon describing the information discussed previously, so apparently registered 1Dx owners are being notified directly via email as well

• Options
    edited June 26, 2013
    I shipped my camera to Camera Factory Service Friday morning, June 21, via UPS, and it was returned today at noon, June 26 - four business days for round trip service.

Will see if I can detect any difference in AF. I rather doubt it.

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2013
    I received the advisory as well, but have not shipped my 1Dx bodies back for service because I have not noticed this problem on either of them.

That said, there are definitely some AF peculiarities with the X AF system. I just figured this was just something I needed to dial into; and overall the AF system is the single biggest improvement over the Mark IV. Yes, the improved ISO is nice, and the overall IQ is better as well (= less work in post). But the AF system has some wonderful ways to preset so that the focus is spot on in many situations where my Mark IV would struggle.

Another shooter complained of some firmware glitches in file naming, but I haven't noticed this. I think anything as complex as an X will probably have a few bugs to work out. So long as it's nothing like what happened with the Mark III AF issues, I'll live with them.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2013
    Mine has been to CFS service twice this year - once in April for cleaning and checking due to a week spent in Death Valley, and then for the service issue from Canon related to focusing issues. When it returned, the little silver spot in the battery housing is no longer silver, but has been painted black.

I have had no issues with AF before or since the AF service. When I called Canon if I needed to send my camera in, since I had no issues, they said the service was to prevent issues from developing later, so I complied.

This is the first camera I have ever had that will tracks birds in flight behind trees, and not loose the birds, but remain nailed on them when the re-appear from behind the tree. Truly remarkable.

It is a big, heavy camera, but does offer some outstanding capabilities. I agree, its AF is significantly better than anything previously offered by Canon, and its high ISO files are pretty nice as well.

• Options
    tvstafftvstaff Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2013
    Defective Canon 1DX - No Focus and Oil Splash
    Hi All,

Today is 08-30-2013 and I bought a 1DX from B&H Camera. The 6th number of the S/N of the Canon 1DX I bought is the number 8. Canon sent out a service recall on all Canon EOS 1DX with the S/N 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 in the 6th position. I call CPS prior to buying the 1DX and they said only 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 7's were affected.

So I bought an 8. Open the box shoot off a few shots and BOOM, oil specs in my view finder. The 1DX will NOT focus. I own other Canon DSLR's and I thought for $7,000 the camera would work and NOT be defective as Canon should take ALL these 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and 8 Canon EOS 1DX out of the sale chain.

How does Canon sell a defective $7,000 camera to consumers knowing full well it WILL fail as some point. With me it's after a few shots with others who knows.

But some of us travel with our gear to OTHER countries to one time sports and news events. HOW DARE Canon knowing these cameras are defective sell them!!!

Canon and it's Defective Canon EOS 1DX line is in the hall of shame for selling a $7,000 body knowing FULL WELL it's defective.

52081212?image=1
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    As a Canon user of nearly 50 years standing, I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the rising frequency of half-baked, under-whelming and/or defective products being released onto the market!

As if any more proof is required, it's becoming more and more apparent that Canon takes its user base for granted and has completely lost its way. Very sad to see the former market leader going down the gurgler.
    I agree with you 100%. My 1DX, 7D, 17-55 USM IS f/2.8 and even my 70-200 USM IS II f/2.8 ALL have issues. Canon has really shoved quality right out the window.

I'm Smok'n mad! ok-it-s-mehttp://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7456096105/photos/2527459/ok-it-s-me
  • Options
    RustyJBRustyJB Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    canon 1 D X
    just received my new 1D X form B&H Photo a couple weeks ago.
    i have been shooting on tripod (heavy duty carbon with ball head rated up to 35 lbs), remote switch,
    using my canon 100mm f2.8 macro, 24-70mm f2.8 is usm, and my 70-200mm f2.8 is usm, and i am just not happy with the images. When i blow them up the focus is just not what i expected from a camera at this price. My 5D II takes images with better detail when i blow them up. The sixth digit in my serial # is a 5, the mark inside the battery compartment is not silver, but painted white with a small white dot next to the larger mark. It has the newest firmware, installed when i received it. I wonder if i got one that someone else was unhappy with and sent back, that is defective still.
    This is my 4th canon camera, up till now i've been pretty happy with the equipment, not so sure now.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    RustyJB wrote: »
    just received my new 1D X form B&H Photo a couple weeks ago.
    i have been shooting on tripod (heavy duty carbon with ball head rated up to 35 lbs), remote switch,
    using my canon 100mm f2.8 macro, 24-70mm f2.8 is usm, and my 70-200mm f2.8 is usm, and i am just not happy with the images. When i blow them up the focus is just not what i expected from a camera at this price. My 5D II takes images with better detail when i blow them up. The sixth digit in my serial # is a 5, the mark inside the battery compartment is not silver, but painted white with a small white dot next to the larger mark. It has the newest firmware, installed when i received it. I wonder if i got one that someone else was unhappy with and sent back, that is defective still.
    This is my 4th canon camera, up till now i've been pretty happy with the equipment, not so sure now.

Your best bet is to send all of your bodies and lenses in to a Canon repair facility to have all of the lenses and bodies calibrated to each other. As you might expect, this can get costly, but it should identify the possible issues.

You may wish to rent another 1D X body, just to test your hypothesis of a possible bad body.

Have you tried to do any Micro-Focus adjustments with your lenses on the 1D X body in question?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RustyJBRustyJB Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to send all of your bodies and lenses in to a Canon repair facility to have all of the lenses and bodies calibrated to each other. As you might expect, this can get costly, but it should identify the possible issues.

You may wish to rent another 1D X body, just to test your hypothesis of a possible bad body.

Have you tried to do any Micro-Focus adjustments with your lenses on the 1D X body in question?

just laid down the satchel to purchase the 1DX, and also just purchased the new tripod & ballhead,
    will be a good while before i can lay out any additional cash.
    i am going to try again with the macro lens and a couple 580exII flash units on the tripod with the wireless remote and use mirror lockup on several different subjects (see flowers mentioned below), then as time permits do the Micro-Focus adjustments on each lens.

i have only shot for charity events, friends weddings, mug shots for work (employee photo wall), and for my own enjoyment, up till now.
    i have a furniture company that knows my wife , has seen some of my images and wants me to capture some close ups of flowers, with some of them as abstracts to print as 30 x 40 or larger canvas prints, they have a good turnover of canvas wall art. i am not sure these images will be as sharp as needed, i have not printed larger than the 13 x 19 " that my canon pixma pro9500 will do, never printed any canvas, or had any print lab do any prints for me yet. i keep searching here and on the web , but can't seem to find any in depth information on preparing my Digital RAW camera images for canvas printing, if you know of any, i would appreciate the links. i use PSCS6, LR4, and a few other editing programs. i would love to at least make enough to pay off some of my equipment.
    I hope this camera turns out to be a smart purchase.
    Again , Thank You for your time and the advice, will definitely try the Micro-Focus adjustments.

RustyJB
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2013
    3rd 1DX failure - What is Canon Doing?
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I'm on my 3rd Canon IDX failure. I really think the platform is defective. At one point in Canon's manufacturing process they put out defective 1DX's. The first two 1DX's I had were not able to focus and Canon stated the mirror boxes were defective and replaced them. I'm now on my second repair of the 2nd 1DX repaired by Canon CPS and it's not focusing again after one week.

I have never in 35 years of experience in the industry had so many problems with a Pro Camera.

This product is DEFECTIVE. To have us spend $7,000 on a product that Canon knows is defective is a crime. Canon should recall every 1DX on the market and replace them with 1DX Cameras that were manufactured right in the first place.