Options

Red Squirrel Shots

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 23, 2013 in Wildlife
My first red squirrel shots taken with my new lens 100-400L. C & C always appreciated.
Bob
18.061-X3.jpg
18.062-X3.jpg
18.063-X3.jpg
18.064-X3.jpg
18.065-X3.jpg
18.066-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GemmaGemma Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    Hi,

The first image seems as though it might be over sharpened, especially the end of its tail and around its cheek and arm.

Love the expression in picture four, although it's eating - to anthropomorphise, it looks like a cheeky smile.

Lovely set of images, but some still don't seem as sharp as they perhaps could be, to me, especially with that lens. High ISO?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Gemma wrote: »
    Hi,

The first image seems as though it might be over sharpened, especially the end of its tail and around its cheek and arm.

Love the expression in picture four, although it's eating - to anthropomorphise, it looks like a cheeky smile.

Lovely set of images, but some still don't seem as sharp as they perhaps could be, to me, especially with that lens. High ISO?

Thanks for looking and commenting Jemma. There has been no sharpening done on any of the photos. If you feel they are not as sharp as they should be I should have probably done a wee bit of sharpening. I would like to know what others feel about this.
    Bob
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    Hi Bob
    First, congrats on the new lens! I have one also and have always been impressed with the capabilities even though it's a (dreaded) zoom.
    I see a dramatic improvement in sharpness over the previous Red Squirrel series you posted - so right-away you've got to like that.
    I looked at the EXIF on several of these shots and noticed pretty high ISO settings, but some quite fast shutter speeds also.
    I mention this because I notice quite a bit of noise in these images and I think you can probably shoot at lower ISO (and so, slower SS's) to reduce noise.
    Also, do you include software noise-reduction in your PP workflow?
    Another thing I noticed is some "jaggies" on fine lines such as the whiskers in #6 - when a mate of mine pointed out jaggies in my JPEG exports from PS Elements 9,
    I was kind of amazed to see (multiple side-by-side comparisons), that the same flaw did not appear in exports from (then) LR3. I would not have expected a noticeable difference - but it was real.
    Jaggies can mimic over-sharpening and is probably what Gemma sees on the highlights in #1.
    Have fun with that big ol' lens Bob!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    I like them all!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks for looking and commenting Jemma. There has been no sharpening done on any of the photos. If you feel they are not as sharp as they should be I should have probably done a wee bit of sharpening. I would like to know what others feel about this.
    Bob

Hi Bob,

What I thought was over sharpening in your first picture is perhaps what Earache referred to as 'jaggies'.

The images are sharper than the first set of red squirrels you posted, but I find myself that if I take the shot at a high ISO it affects how sharp they are because the noise can mean there isn't as much detail which makes them appear less sharp. I know higher ISOs are necessary sometimes though and perhaps a touch of sharpening in PP?

I don't think it matters that some of their tails are a bit out of focus, but I think the head/eyes need to be sharp.

Of course this is just my opinion and they're still a lovely set of images.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Hi Bob
    First, congrats on the new lens! I have one also and have always been impressed with the capabilities even though it's a (dreaded) zoom.
    I see a dramatic improvement in sharpness over the previous Red Squirrel series you posted - so right-away you've got to like that.
    I looked at the EXIF on several of these shots and noticed pretty high ISO settings, but some quite fast shutter speeds also.
    I mention this because I notice quite a bit of noise in these images and I think you can probably shoot at lower ISO (and so, slower SS's) to reduce noise.
    Also, do you include software noise-reduction in your PP workflow?
    Another thing I noticed is some "jaggies" on fine lines such as the whiskers in #6 - when a mate of mine pointed out jaggies in my JPEG exports from PS Elements 9,
    I was kind of amazed to see (multiple side-by-side comparisons), that the same flaw did not appear in exports from (then) LR3. I would not have expected a noticeable difference - but it was real.
    Jaggies can mimic over-sharpening and is probably what Gemma sees on the highlights in #1.
    Have fun with that big ol' lens Bob!
    Thanks ever so much for replying Eric and explaining your findings. I am sure I will enjoy this lens having been used with the Sigma 50-500 which didn't have IS.
    In the past when shooting these type of shots I have always used the TV mode with a shutter speed around 800 - 1000. The light can change so much and if it is not bright I have to up the ISO and this is when the noise tends to creep in. Do you think I should change to AV mode?
    I do have Noise Professional on CS5 but very seldom use it because I find it gets rid of the noise but makes everything else soft of you know what I mean.
    This is the first time I have heard of 'Jaggies' but I definately see what you mean. I am sure you are right that is what Jemma has seen. Can you please tell me how to get rid of these using CS5 or how to avoid them in the first place. What causes them?
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon Eric.
    Many thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Hi Bob,

What I thought was over sharpening in your first picture is perhaps what Earache referred to as 'jaggies'.

The images are sharper than the first set of red squirrels you posted, but I find myself that if I take the shot at a high ISO it affects how sharp they are because the noise can mean there isn't as much detail which makes them appear less sharp. I know higher ISOs are necessary sometimes though and perhaps a touch of sharpening in PP?

I don't think it matters that some of their tails are a bit out of focus, but I think the head/eyes need to be sharp.

Of course this is just my opinion and they're still a lovely set of images.

Yes Jemma, I am sure Eric is right in what he says about 'jaggies' I am hoping he will be able to tell me how to get rid of them or to avoid them. Maybe you can help in this direction. I take on board everything you say about using ISO. What mode do you shoot in when taking these or similar shots? As I explained to Eic I have always used TV mode with a shutter speed of 800 - 1000 and then bumping up the ISO if the light is not as good as it should be.
    I appreciate all your kind help and thanks for replying.
    Bob
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    ...What mode do you shoot in when taking these or similar shots? ...

Almost always Av or M in my case, with aperture rarely shut down more than a stop in either case and more often than not, wide open (f4). Then adjust iso as required for appropriate ss. As using older kit, don't really like to go above iso1600, so can easily end up with a lower ss than ideal ... I still have a go, and hope I get lucky :)

Results look sharper than before, btw.

pp
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Almost always Av or M in my case, with aperture rarely shut down more than a stop in either case and more often than not, wide open (f4). Then adjust iso as required for appropriate ss. As using older kit, don't really like to go above iso1600, so can easily end up with a lower ss than ideal ... I still have a go, and hope I get lucky :)

Results look sharper than before, btw.

pp
    Thanks ever so much for replying PP. I will have to try AV mode F/4.5 and bump up the ISO to get a fast shutter speed of around 800. I use this lens on a 7D rather than my 5D MK11 because the 7D has a must faster FPS.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Yes Jemma, I am sure Eric is right in what he says about 'jaggies' I am hoping he will be able to tell me how to get rid of them or to avoid them. Maybe you can help in this direction. I take on board everything you say about using ISO. What mode do you shoot in when taking these or similar shots? As I explained to Eic I have always used TV mode with a shutter speed of 800 - 1000 and then bumping up the ISO if the light is not as good as it should be.
    I appreciate all your kind help and thanks for replying.
    Bob

Like PP, I usually shoot in aperture priority at the widest aperture of my lens and use ISO to get my shutter speeds faster if necessary - I prefer to see what the shutter speeds are at the widest aperture with the available light so I can keep the ISO as low as possible depending on what I'm photographing.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Like PP, I usually shoot in aperture priority at the widest aperture of my lens and use ISO to get my shutter speeds faster if necessary - I prefer to see what the shutter speeds are at the widest aperture with the available light so I can keep the ISO as low as possible depending on what I'm photographing.

Thanks a lot Jemma. I am covering the Carlisle Stages Rally tomorrow and I will certainly change from TV to AV and do as you have suggested.
    I really appreciate this.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Thanks ever so much for replying PP. I will have to try AV mode F/4.5 and bump up the ISO to get a fast shutter speed of around 800. I use this lens on a 7D rather than my 5D MK11 because the 7D has a must faster FPS.
    Thanks
    Bob

This'll change as you zoom, of course since the lens isn't a constant aperture one ... the 'f4' I mentioned in a previous post relates to the main lens I use (500f4), although I also have a 100 -400 as you (now) have.

Whilst both have their pros / cons, on the few times I use the zoom, and light is disappearing (if there was any in the first place :)) ... I keep looking at the '5.6' in the vf and start muttering various oaths.

Am probably using M mode more these days for particular conditions, btw ... but obviously we all have preferred ways of working.

Best of luck, anyway.

pp
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2013
    Bob, "jaggies" is kind of an old-school term from the bad old days of 1-2-3 megapixel sensors - maybe only used over here - to describe the pixelation that occurred when you tried to enlarge
    those low-res images beyond a practical limit. Nowadays, it may not be the exact technical reason for what we see in your JPEGS, and I'm sorry to say I don't know the cause other than how the software
    functions to create the image. As I mentioned, I was quite surprised to see - using the same export parameters - different results from two programs, both Adobe. headscratch.gif
    Perhaps you can post an example and question over on Finishing School and one of the experts there may have the answer.
    Good tips from Gemma and Paul and I would echo the advice to use AV mode - in decent light, f5.6 is not that much of a handicap - and keep the ISO as low as possible.
    For example, EXIF on #6 shows 1/1600 @ ISO 4000 w/+2 EC - for a relatively still subject (I know, wishful thinking), I think you have a bit of wiggle-room to lower the ISO.
    The IS function of the 100-400 will give you 2-3-4 (4 would be lucky) stops and allow slower SS. You're the Photographer, tell those squirrels to sit-still and pose pretty. rolleyes1.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2013
    Re the shots themselves (esp 1 > 4) - I'd echo / repeat what I've suggested before ... try to get down to the subject's eye level, if practicalities allow ... you'll invariably have opportunities to rest the cam on something 'found' (via a beanbag or even a rucksack) for additional support (as iirc, you were asking about elsewhere).

pp

(Judging by the comments I've received from the subject's owner, this 'eye level' approach was appreciated in a rather different scenario too :) )
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=235568
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2013
    There has been no sharpening done on any of the photos. If you feel they are not as sharp as they should be I should have probably done a wee bit of sharpening. I would like to know what others feel about this.
    Bob
    you said it yourself ; they are not as sharp as they should be I should have probably done a wee bit of sharpening

remember that processing your photo's in computer is a very important part of photography !!!!
    you can blame technique , lens , camera , light , but ,.............
    most of your photo's i have seen can look much better if you spent some time editing them , not in the least sharpening
    post-processing is just as important as the photography bit

hope it helps you
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    you said it yourself ; they are not as sharp as they should be I should have probably done a wee bit of sharpening

remember that processing your photo's in computer is a very important part of photography !!!!
    you can blame technique , lens , camera , light , but ,.............
    most of your photo's i have seen can look much better if you spent some time editing them , not in the least sharpening
    post-processing is just as important as the photography bit

hope it helps you
    Thanks Basfit I kave done as you have suggested. I have given them all a wee sharpen and I can definately see an improvement.
    However, is there anyway in CS5 I can get rid of the 'Jaggies' in images 1 and 6?
    Thanks a lot
    Bob
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    then you must first explain what you mean with jaggies

1 for images like this i prefer smart sharpen above other methods
    smart sharpen is not called smart sharpen for nothing
    it kind of knows what to sharpen and what not

2 you could try to work with layer-masks
    with layer masks you can blur the background while sharpen your subject
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    then you must first explain what you mean with jaggies

1 for images like this i prefer smart sharpen above other methods
    smart sharpen is not called smart sharpen for nothing
    it kind of knows what to sharpen and what not

2 you could try to work with layer-masks
    with layer masks you can blur the background while sharpen your subject
    Hi Bas,
    In actual fact I had never heard of jaggies. Apparently jaggies have appeared on the 1st and 6th image. They can be seen on the whiskerin the 6th image. On the 1st image they can be seen on the tail and shoulder.
    Also if you scroll up to Earache's post in this thread you will see what he is on about 'jaggies'
    I have looked on CS5 Smart Sharpen. I have never used this and I was wondering if you had any guidelines on how to use it?
    Thanks again I really appreciate all your kind help you are giving me.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    it are reflections of sunlight
    when you sharpen they become more visible
    sometime you can blur them a bit

as for sharpening ;
    after you done with the image , but before saving / uploading use smart sharpening

1 drag amount all the way right

2 adjust radius
    you will see halo's appear around the edges
    adjust so that the halo's are just a bit visible at 100% view ( which is default )
    too less= not sharp , too much=ugly

3 adjust amount for the desired amount :D

4 repeat / fine-tune as you please , toggle the preview mark regurly so you see what you do on your image
    clicking inside the square preview shows the "before" in preview
    remember there is always "undo" and "step back" in the menu

tip
    dont forget to reduce noise first
    noise and sharpening are opposites
    when you try sharpening a noisy image , you will make the noise stronger
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2013
    it are reflections of sunlight
    when you sharpen they become more visible
    sometime you can blur them a bit

as for sharpening ;
    after you done with the image , but before saving / uploading use smart sharpening

1 drag amount all the way right

2 adjust radius
    you will see halo's appear around the edges
    adjust so that the halo's are just a bit visible at 100% view ( which is default )
    too less= not sharp , too much=ugly

3 adjust amount for the desired amount :D

4 repeat / fine-tune as you please , toggle the preview mark regurly so you see what you do on your image
    clicking inside the square preview shows the "before" in preview
    remember there is always "undo" and "step back" in the menu

tip
    dont forget to reduce noise first
    noise and sharpening are opposites
    when you try sharpening a noisy image , you will make the noise stronger

That is brilliant Bas, Thanks a lot I really appreciate that.
    Cheers
    Bob