Options

Renewal looms...never got reply to power/watermarking issue

rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
edited June 21, 2013 in SmugMug Support
OK so my renewal date is fast approaching (June 23) and it's time to make the decision...

Drop to Power as I no longer shoot events as I used to. However, my already posted galleries (with my watermarks) are the issue...

When the whole price increase discussion (with plenty of advance notice) came about I wasn't very vocal (well a few posts - but thats not the issue).

The issue is I started a dialog with SmugMug support (thru help@smugmug.com) regarding the watermark scenario if I dropped down to power, and was told (see attached posts) that I would retain all existing watermarks however I wouldn't be able to watermark any newly uploaded images after the service change.

I was totally OK with that - and figured OK I'll just switch on my (now emminent renewal date) and all will be well. My sales thru the site have been zero for the last few years as I was self-fulfilling as all the customers were local and they saved the shipping charges.

What really took me by suprise (and was pretty infuriating) was that while the discussion with smug was ongoing they (without ANY notice) changed the policy regarding downgrading to Power accounts would automatically strip out ALL existing watremarks and still no new one s would be allowed.

Well thanks for that folks!!

I've also read a lot of support heros saying people wanted to remove watermarks when downgrading - I can't dispute that statement however it behooves me (and I would think) anyone who had a pro account would want to keep pics posted only purposely without watermarks(!!!) it goes agianst everything in my scenario. It's even more important to w/mark as they can't buy so they're more apt to steal the images now -and no there's no way I'd allow prints to sell at cost.

Please read the 2-3 attached posts here's the oriinal forum links

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=224703&page=9

(posts # 165 & 175)

I just didn't know how to link to an individual post.

Onethumb never responded as to his looking into adding w/marks to Power. Or anyone responding to my plea when the first post regarding then fast switch w/out notice took place. Or to my very logical idea of adding w/marks to power and bumping the price up $15 to $75 (yes a normally large increase of 25 % but I think most of us would agree that increase would be well worth it).

Regardledss of what happens I won't remove any photos but if you force me to lose existing w/marks I'll be forced to make all the motorcycle/event galleries private - and it may take a year or 2 with my current schedule but I'll go thru all the galleries and w/mark them and post again as insane as that sounds I'll do while my attitude towards smug goes completly south - well who am I ? I've been here since 2005 and been a huge fan - I even met Baldy at a smug in North Hollywood a couple years ago and was inspired and in awe of what a down to earth good guy he was!

Plaese respond and say theres a chance that for all the pro users downgrading from this point on (assuming damage is done on earlier accts) that you'll leave existing watermarks as originally promised and all in the universe will be right again!

Thanks from a loyal - but very disgruntled long-time customer.

In short you're charging me $90 to watermark my photos ...

Lastly is there a lower grandfathered renewal rate for portfolio (like you offer for business) ?

Here's the onethumb response to the watermarking issue - never followed up on to best of my knowledge... (post #110)

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=225917&page=6

Well it's down to the wire now, hey I've had numerous personal/medical issues to deal with - and to best of my knowledge this issue was still up in the air...any suggestions from smugstaff what to do??

Thanks

rich56k
http://HooliganUnderground.com
Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    Ask a Hero to manually downgrade you to Power from the back end and it should keep your watermarking. If you downgrade the account yourself through the account settings then the watermarks are automatically renewed thumb.gif

I'm sorry, the Portfolio account does not have a grandfathered price since it is a brand new account level.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Ask a Hero to manually downgrade you to Power from the back end and it should keep your watermarking. If you downgrade the account yourself through the account settings then the watermarks are automatically renewed thumb.gif

I'm sorry, the Portfolio account does not have a grandfathered price since it is a brand new account level.

Hi Zac,

The "should keep your watermarking" does sound kind of scary to be honest...

Can I ask you to do this now for me?

Should I do it tomorrow during the west coast a.m. hours so smug is fully staffed?

If it doesn't keep my watermarks - then what are my options?

Please advise - and thanks for (hopefully) 'saving the day' as it were!

If it works it sounds like a solution to me, then I'll manually watermark at my end anything else uploaded.

rich56k

Note: I've held off on updating my CC info just to make sure I get this dealt with...
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    Hey Rich,

Last I knew if we downgraded the account for you the watermarks would remain. I can double check for you though. Send me a PM with a link to your site and I can take care of the downgrade tonight.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Hey Rich,

Last I knew if we downgraded the account for you the watermarks would remain. I can double check for you though. Send me a PM with a link to your site and I can take care of the downgrade tonight.

Hey Zac,

PM sent ... and thanks again for your help with this matter!!

Any problems/Q's please PM back

Rich
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    Hi Rich,

I also sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Michael