Options

Need Help and or advice

TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited June 23, 2013 in Cameras
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but hr goes. I took my Canon 40D to the soccer scrimage today to take some pictures and low a behold there was an error message about hte CF card. after making sure that I had the right card in the camera I noticed that I have 2 bent pins in the area that the CF cards goes in. I called the local camera shop about getting it fixed and they said they would have to send it to Canon but recommended a locat electronics shop that might be able to repair the camera. Both place quoted my about $250 for the repair. Camera shop said it would take 6-8 weeks to go through Canon and the local electronic shop said it would take about 10 days.

My questions are - is it worth fixing or am I looking at more problems than it is worth? Is this a common problem?

Unfortunately, I do not know how this happened as I used the camera a few days ago and it was fine.

Thanks in advance for all you help.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited June 22, 2013
    The cause is generally because the CF card was not allowed to "seat" against the pins before pushing it home. I try to always drop the card in vertically and then run my thumb gently across the back of the card to make sure that it's level in the slot, before pushing the card into place.

Yes, this is not terribly uncommon (bent pins) on cameras and other electronics which use CF cards for storage.

Since used Canon 40D bodies at KEH.com currently run from $364.00 for an EX+ condition to $286.00 for BGN condition, it's up to you whether you wish to repair the body or not.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2013
    Get in there with a flathead jeweler's screwdriver and straighten the pins yourself. I did this with a card reader, it was easy. You have nothing to lose at this point.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2013
    Get in there with a flathead jeweler's screwdriver and straighten the pins yourself. I did this with a card reader, it was easy. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Depends how bent the pins are ... in my case, there's no way a screwdriver would've worked ... I ended up modifying (re-grinding) a dental tool to lift a completely bent over pin, + drilling a hole the clearance diameter of a pin down the centre of a piece of wire (to slide over the pin(s) to de-kink them).

All related to practical skillset too.

Worth a go, tho.

pp