Taiko Drumming

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 5, 2005 in People
My friend and colleague Chris recently joined a taiko drumming group. Tonight they had a little performance at a local Oxnard Buddhist Temple, where Chris was performing in public for the very first time. I took a few shots and I'd like to share some of them. Light was pretty mediocre, and they didn't like the idea of me setting up my two large lightstands, so I had to use ISO 1600 to get any action:dunno .

Chris:

46974249-L.jpg

Taiko drummer:

46974374-L.jpg

Taiko drumers:

46974631-L.jpg

Finale:

46974703-L.jpg

The rest of the "filmstrip" is here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/1014708

Canon 20D at ISO 1600, shutter priority at 1/125s.. 1/160s, "potato masher" Sunpack 555EX at 1/64 at 45 degrees as a fill flash. Shot RAW, minor touchup in ACR.

Enjoy!:1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    My friend and colleague Chris recently joined a taiko drumming group. Tonight they had a little performance at a local Oxnard Buddhist Temple, where Chris was performing in public for the very first time. I took a few shots and I'd like to share some of them. Light was pretty mediocre, and they didn't like the idea of me setting up my two large lightstands, so I had to use ISO 1600 to get any actionne_nau.gif .
    Chris:
    Taiko drummer:
    Taiko drumers:
    Finale:
    The rest of the "filmstrip" is here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/1014708
    Canon 20D at ISO 1600, shutter priority at 1/125s.. 1/160s, "potato masher" Sunpack 555EX at 1/64 at 45 degrees as a fill flash. Shot RAW, minor touchup in ACR.
    Enjoy!1drink.gif
    Wow.. that looks so interesting.. I bet that was pretty stirring!! Cool shots.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Lynn,
    lynnma wrote:
    Wow.. that looks so interesting.. I bet that was pretty stirring!! Cool shots.
    Thanks for watching!
    I was internally hoping for more scenic view (more like Rutt's "Nutcracker" shots if you will), with the drapes, color and key lights, bigger drums, etc. Unfortunately, bare walls, tiny naked stage and fluoresent tubes was all I got..ne_nau.gif
    But hey, maybe they become popular one day:-):D
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    nice captures Nik, I knew you'd get the hang of that 20D beastie-boy :D Now you're even utilizing the low light aspects!! Nice shots and eagerly awaiting costumed show shots mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Michiel,
    nice captures Nik, I knew you'd get the hang of that 20D beastie-boy :D Now you're even utilizing the low light aspects!! Nice shots and eagerly awaiting costumed show shots mwink.gif
    Hey, long time no hear!
    Thanks, bruder!
    Yeah, I'm getting my handses on it, slowly but surely.
    Better glass also helps a lot.
    I now blame a lot of my initial frustration on the kit lens..ne_nau.gif

PS
    Did you book your flight in? I'm kinda waiting on you...

Cheers!1drink.gif