Thanksgiving in blk and white: mostly

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited December 9, 2005 in People
My purpose was to show the relationships between people. Color was not working for me in that way last night, switched to blk and white, I felt comfortable again. A few shots are still in color, I don't know that I will get them up here tonight.

46992778-L.jpg

above, my daughter, her husband and her son, my grandson. a little soft, maybe, natural window light, but I like the relationship.

My son with my youngest grandchild, his son.......
Computer geeks both, they work together.

46909869-L.jpg

the end of a wonderful day it is the kitchen gathering:

46903461-L.jpg

I think this is called "shut eye"

46903467-L.jpg

Ian joins his father

46903476-L.jpg

Austin, oldest son of Jon, he joins in......

Ian and Austin in a portrait of brothers

46903536-L.jpg

We all went to our beds and slept then. I am going to try it now.

ginger (Oh, I have more already worked up and a few to go, will finish another day.) Many people have been totally left out this time. I seem to have concentrated on the youngest grandchild. But I have plenty of the other children...........and their children for another look/see.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    VERY NICE Ginger...........I think you captured the love and the bond of family VERY well in those photos......

Here is one that I REALLY liked, but would have liked to have seen it cropped to give more attention to the little boy.....I hope ya dont mind, I cropped it myself and would like to post it to show you what I mean -
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Thank you, Baby Blue! I do like your crop! Thanks for the tip. I never mind when people play with my photos. I like it, actually.

Thanks for stopping, commenting and helping,

ginger (I have to set those prices at cost. The parents want photos.)
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thank you, Baby Blue! I do like your crop! Thanks for the tip. I never mind when people play with my photos. I like it, actually.

Thanks for stopping, commenting and helping,

ginger (I have to set those prices at cost. The parents want photos.)
    Very nice, Ginger.
    I like how you were able to get rid of distracting backgrounds in the kitchen (by B&W treatment and blur). The kitchen can be a very busy place. A tough place for shooting pics. Great job.clap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Lovely family Ginger and a nice series.
    edited December 8, 2005
    Thank you, Thusie.

Snappy, that is just shallow DOF, why I don't know with the flash on. I am no flash expert, but I so rarely use blur, I use other things, like darkening the part I don't want dominant. I only have one photo that I went to all that work with.

I think what happened in the kitchen was that Jon was sitting on the floor, that put the cupboards behind him. The towel adds, does not detract in the one photo, other than that the cupboards were a "plain background" particularly in black and white. Black and white worked best in lots of the photos there.

The one where I separated the background is not in here. And a couple in color with busier backgrounds that I really like are not in here either.

Mostly I shoot and figure it out later. Jon has a fairly new house, they are a young, very neat family, so there was not a lot of clutter.

I may catch up to you and show you the one where I took "care" of the background to my satisfaction w/o blur. It is not a show stopper, but it is the only one with the grandfather so I tried to make it look nice. I do have a couple more in the same place, but I am not going to all that work often, especially since I have so many I don't have to do that with.

Thanks for stopping and looking Snappy. (I will move around a bit to try to change the background sometimes. Sometimes that helps and sometimes nothing helps.)

ginger
    edited December 8, 2005
    Also, look how tight I am, I would guess that is the 70-200 lens. It isolates, forces me to go tight which often eliminates the background right there.

Those are not cropped, they are full frame. I am sitting at the kitchen table. Not really working it, just tired like everyone else, but watching my son and his son. etc.

The first shot is about the last I shot in natural light. And a lot of the shot is OOF a bit, but the moment was too good not to use.

ginger
  • jmallenjmallen Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    What program do you use to frame and title your pictures? They all look great!
    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid..." -Epictetus :thumb