Options

Alligator Farm

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 10, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

A few captures from the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. I used the Nikon D800E and the 70-200 VR I 2.8 lens with the 2.0 TC to get these captures.

A newly hatched egret takes a gander at its world
800_2469-XL.jpg

Roseate Spoonbill
800_2675-XL.jpg

Great Egret
800_2185-XL.jpg

tri-color heron
800_2616-XL.jpg

snowy egret
800_2658-XL.jpg

A rather cool job - measuring the growth of one of the residents
800_2538-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Nice shooting. I like the spoonbill best. Harry, have you tried the new 80-400mm on the D800e yet? It looks fantastic and likely outperforms the 70-200mm with the teleconvertor.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Nice shooting. I like the spoonbill best. Harry, have you tried the new 80-400mm on the D800e yet? It looks fantastic and likely outperforms the 70-200mm with the teleconvertor.

Thanks Mitchell. I haven't tried the new 80-400 yet. It looks to be an excellent lens but I'm not about to pay $2700 for it when I have the 70-200 2.8, the 300 f/4 and the 200-400 f/4. Its probably better than the 70-200 with the 2.0 TC but not $2700 better.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Nice shots Harry. I have more or less the same setup D800+70-200VRII+2X TC and I am having a hard time getting sharp pictures. Any tips? Thanks!
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice shots Harry. I have more or less the same setup D800+70-200VRII+2X TC and I am having a hard time getting sharp pictures. Any tips? Thanks!

I'd be interested in your response to this as well. All the images shot with my 2.0 TC seem soft.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitchell viewpost.png

Thanks Mitchell. I haven't tried the new 80-400 yet. It looks to be an excellent lens but I'm not about to pay $2700 for it when I have the 70-200 2.8, the 300 f/4 and the 200-400 f/4. Its probably better than the 70-200 with the 2.0 TC but not $2700 better.

Not bad Harry ,very nice shots- D800 :D but tha 80/400 on a 8 mile hike is worth the 2700 over that 200/400 rolleyes1.gifNow if you are shooting from the car mwink.gif

Harry it would be nice to give us a -this is how I get a sharp shot with a tc2-- I only know 2 folks that do it you and a guy out here . I have a hard time with a 1.7 getting a keeper .So do you shoot with a pod all the time or handheld ? give us a TC2 how 2 deal.gif please
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    I'd be interested in your response to this as well. All the images shot with my 2.0 TC seem soft.
    jwear wrote: »
    Quote:

Not bad Harry ,very nice shots- D800 :D but tha 80/400 on a 8 mile hike is worth the 2700 over that 200/400 rolleyes1.gifNow if you are shooting from the car mwink.gif

Harry it would be nice to give us a -this is how I get a sharp shot with a tc2-- I only know 2 folks that do it you and a guy out here . I have a hard time with a 1.7 getting a keeper .So do you shoot with a pod all the time or handheld ? give us a TC2 how 2 deal.gif please

I have shot with the 70-200 2.8 and the 2.0 TC frequently. It was one of my main shooting combos on my recent safari in Kenya. I like the results I get with it on the 70-200. I wasn't that happy when I tried it with my f/4 lenses (300mm and 500mm f/4).

I have always used it handheld. There's no special trick or magic involved in getting a good capture with the set-up. I usually have the VR off (slows down the AF for the first couple of shots) and I take care to use good hand holding technique http://blog.muddyboots.org/2009/04/avoiding-blur-due-to-camera-shake.html

I usually try to use very fast shutter speeds, all of the bird captures in this post were at 1/2000 sec or faster. The light at the rookery was very harsh, if you look at the exif data I was using ev adjustments of up to a stop and a half which also helped with the shutter speed.
    Harry
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I will try the EV adjustment to increase speed.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2013
    That was a very good lick thumb.gif the burst is really a good thing and something I should do more but do not. The big reason after reading this is that I used the tc years ago but more on f4 so that does make sences and I think the other guy shot his 70/200 most of the timerolleyes1.gif you left only one thing out you use to help with the VR headscratch.gifscratch a corona rolleyes1.gif
    Good one Harry just like a blast from the past
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I will try the EV adjustment to increase speed.

The EV adjustment was done to get the exposure right. In this case making a negative adjustment of a stop or more had the result of a faster shutter speed. When I adjust the ev my only concern is to nail the exposure. Shutter speed is never a consideration. If I need a faster shutter speed I will open up the aperture if a shallow DOF works or just up the ISO setting.
    Harry
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2013
    Great educational series, Harry! Thank you. Love the egret chick. Don't want the alligator mouth-measuring job! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Great educational series, Harry! Thank you. Love the egret chick. Don't want the alligator mouth-measuring job! Best, Pam

Great hearing from you Pam
    Harry
  • Options
    camillercamiller Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Awesome shots! That is one big gator.
    Cindy