Options

Photographing larger couples?

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited July 17, 2013 in Weddings
Hey folks,

i have a wedding coming up. Both - bride and groom are on a heavier side; I love them both to death, but am not sure if there are any tricks to shooting that body type as I usually deal with fit folk. :dunno

any posing/lighting etc advice is more than welcome.

the wedding itself is going to be held at a church; portraits are going to be done not even 10 minutes from there; there is a run down farm with barns and silos..

i'm all ears.
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    try to avoid full on front shots, more angles. Shoot slightly from above when you can. Use longest focal length you can get away with (for example if you are using 24-70mm and you have space..shoot at 70mm) More head and shoulder shots when possible. But honestly..outside of controlled studio environment where you have complete control of the light, not a heck of a lot you can do. Just roll with it..assumably your customers don't have unreasonable expectations.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Shoot slightly from above when you can.

nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    I photograph a lot of larger couples, I have 3 basic rules.

1. If the bride is wearing a dress that makes her look like a tent, don't be afraid to shoot her full length and use the large dress to make her look smaller.

2. Don't photograph from below nose level, down if possible, all tight shots down.

3. Don't get to posey with the hands and arms, make sure the flowers are low to get good extension, and if they are both big, nix the real closeup cuddly stuff, don't be afraid to give them their own space.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2013
    thank you so much guys!
    Blur, could you elaborate a bit more on the #1, please? How would I use her dress to make her look smaller?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    Foques wrote: »
    thank you so much guys!
    Blur, could you elaborate a bit more on the #1, please? How would I use her dress to make her look smaller?

Nothing wrong with large well lit compositions and less emphasis on tight full lengths. Especially if you have a beautiful setting. Spread the dress out, use it.

Maria%26Michael-86-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2013
    fantastic! thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2013
    Don't totally avoid close-ups, though. If you do nothing but full-length portraits, the delivered product will be noticeably incomplete.

Backlighting and blowing things out, when done VERY carefully, can be a nice little slimming trick too.

776545720_rZGEB-M.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2013
    thank you!
    Keep 'em coming!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2013
    What if you have one large and one small in the couple I have one were the groom is large and bride is small and one that the guy is small and bride is large. How do I do this?
    Liza
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    3smiles wrote: »
    What if you have one large and one small in the couple I have one were the groom is large and bride is small and one that the guy is small and bride is large. How do I do this?

Have them trade spouses? :-P
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    LinusMLinusM Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2013
    Nice answer Matthew - Probably the only one you can give in this situation ;-)