Paris and London

MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited December 4, 2005 in Finishing School
Here is the original photo that I manipulated to create the image discussed in this thread.
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23388

47009317-L.jpg

and here is the photo that was submitted for critique

46610842-L.jpg

Any help with the blown highlights and the psed background would be appreciated.

I currently use PS Elements2 for PP but hope to have CS2 soon

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Was it shot raw? Do you use PS/CS2? If so try using a linear curve in ACR (curves tab) and move the exposure slider so there is no clipping (check the preview and highlights boxes.) Then the highlights part of shadow/highlights might recover some detail in these areas. Also try making the curve very steep in the highlights.
    If not now, when?
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    No it wasn't shot raw and no cs2:(
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Does Elements have Layers? A pretty easy fix if it does.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 4, 2005
    I did a lot without either cs2 or raw. But you will need cs for this. You can do without even cs, but it's much harder.

Shadow/highlight in RGB mode can recover a lot of the highlight detail. In fact, this is about 90% of what I accomplished.

47023308-M.jpg

47023296-L.jpg

Impossible retouch in LAB This gets a little color as well as texture the texture we just recovered into thos blown areas. See: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21648 The effect is subtle, but look carefully.

47023139-L.jpg

Steepen L curve though the highlights and blend A little of this goes a long way. Make a Curves adjustment layer and make the L curve very steep in the highlights and then change the blending options so it only affects the lightest parts of the image and use a very low opacity.

47023149-S.jpg

47023227-M.jpg

47023218-L.jpg

Once you get thsi far, you can lighten, change the background, blend back into the original at 50% opacity to recover a bit more of the original look, whatever.
    If not now, when?
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Thanks Rutt!

I'll give it a go in pse2 unless my cs gets here soon. I think levels is similar to curves.
    edited December 4, 2005
    This is going to be tons easier in cs than in elements. Don't hit your head against the wall unless there is a very good reason. For this kind of thing, levels is a very poor substitute for curves, and without highlight/shadows or curves, well I would consider it a challenge.

I worked on your full sized originals and saved at quality level 12. Pick up the original of one of my versions and go from there if you are in a rush. Just substitute an O for the L in the URLs.
    If not now, when?