Why black and white?

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited July 16, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Some of you may be interested in this piece I wrote for the on-line photo magazine Theme.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2013
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    Well-stated article, B. D. Good to see you around, too! I am very slowly visiting the site and reengaging.

(And Lensmole, not sure why your pic is posted here without relating it to the article. Generally not considered good form as it may hijack the thread from the OP.)
    edited July 8, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    Well-stated article, B. D. Good to see you around, too! I am very slowly visiting the site and reengaging.

(And Lensmole, not sure why your pic is posted here without relating it to the article. Generally not considered good form as it may hijack the thread from the OP.)

It is my way of responding to the question without having to use any words and not meant to hijack anyone's thread. I must have made a mistake thinking that the article was about B/W photography when it is really about his own personal creative choices.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    lensmole wrote: »
    It is my way of responding to the question without having to use any words and not meant to hijack anyone's thread. I must have made a mistake thinking that the article was about B/W photography when it is really about his own personal creative choices.

B.D. will agree that ambiguity is good, but responding with a photo to his article leaves me wondering what you are trying to say. And I suspect that no two people viewing it would have the same interpretation, which means the communication has failed.
    edited July 8, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    B.D. will agree that ambiguity is good, but responding with a photo to his article leaves me wondering what you are trying to say. And I suspect that no two people viewing it would have the same interpretation, which means the communication has failed.

Noted.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    What empirical studies have been done that compare the "readability" of color photos to black and white photos? In other words, is it just a personal opinion that color causes distraction? Has this concept been proven in some fashion? Are some people better or worse than others when interpreting black and white versus color photographs? Do color or b+w photographs change the "believability" or trust in a photograph or photographer? I am sure a genius at a fancy University some place has probably figured this out. I would love to read that paper.

Google didn't help me, but I'm wondering if you experts know of something. There doesn't seem to be much work done on the subject. Possible links:
    * http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-5884.00033/abstract "
    * http://carlsonschool.umn.edu/Assets/71678.pdf
    * http://www.acrwebsite.org/search/view-conference-proceedings.aspx?Id=6071
    * http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=color-images-more-memorab

Most of these studies seem to suggest that color photographs are more memorable. That doesn't speak to their perceived credibility, however. These studies also seem to focus on photographs of objects or landscapes. I am wondering if photographs of people change the results. Age would be another interesting factor to look at. Do viewers over 50 have a different experience than a 18 year old?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    A few responses:
    Rainbow, thank you.:-)

Lensmole, you we expecting formulae? At discussion about black and white and color is about personal creative choices. You don't like mine? Good for you.

Ryan, studies? Really? You want "studies" of color v black and white? Will those studies then govern your art? If so, it ceases to art, or very creative. Is there a difference between how over-50s and kids think about the question? Of course. Read, or re-read what I wrote; the only kids today who have even heard of, much less are familiar with the work of, the photographers I say influenced me are art students, or have taken a history of photography course. The vast majority of kids today don't even know what photography is - they think it's snapping their burrito with their iPhone, and posting it on Twitter with a "retro look" filter.

Finally, anyone who actually read the piece knows that I specifically said there is a place for color photography.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    I read your link BD and found it a great read, well worth my time, made me really think. Oh, and it, in my opinion, definitely was about "why black and white".
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    RyanS wrote: »
    What empirical studies have been done that compare the "readability" of color photos to black and white photos? In other words, is it just a personal opinion that color causes distraction? Has this concept been proven in some fashion? Are some people better or worse than others when interpreting black and white versus color photographs? Do color or b+w photographs change the "believability" or trust in a photograph or photographer? I am sure a genius at a fancy University some place has probably figured this out. I would love to read that paper.

Google didn't help me, but I'm wondering if you experts know of something. There doesn't seem to be much work done on the subject. Possible links:
    * http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-5884.00033/abstract "
    * http://carlsonschool.umn.edu/Assets/71678.pdf
    * http://www.acrwebsite.org/search/view-conference-proceedings.aspx?Id=6071
    * http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=color-images-more-memorab

Most of these studies seem to suggest that color photographs are more memorable. That doesn't speak to their perceived credibility, however. These studies also seem to focus on photographs of objects or landscapes. I am wondering if photographs of people change the results. Age would be another interesting factor to look at. Do viewers over 50 have a different experience than a 18 year old?

Ryan,
    I am always impressed with your thoughtful and learning-forward contributions and responses in the Dgin forums. Thank-you for that.

OTOH - Mr. Colen's sneering response to your inquires reveal the thinly-veiled condescension expressed in his article when he referred to one of his students as a "bold fool" for asking a question.
    Maybe this is an uber-academic "term-of-endearment" not known to us plebeian enthusiasts - so, it could be just me.
    Mr. Colen's credentials and experience (apparently longevity confers Mastery) are acknowledged,
    however, it is my perception that some of his on-line exchanges - as a designated AIR - are a symptom of the malady of apathy that has infected the Documentary forum.

These are, of course, just my opinions - but, I am prepared (again) to take my 10'er in the Forum Gulag for daring to Question Authority and not worship at the Altar of Orthodoxy - I guess I just don't fit into a world where all "wedding dresses are white"
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    In another thread I brought up last night's "Street Photography" mandate in
    my camera club's Competition Night. In that competition, there are three
    catagories: A color, B color, and black and white. A member who is a
    professional photographer or has won three monthly competitions in the
    last 12 months must submit in the A color category. B Color and Black
    and White are open to all the rest.

Overall, it was quite obvious that the majority of people who submitted
    image has no concept of what "Street Photography" in the sense that it
    is used in this group. Nor did the three judges.

In fact, the shot that beat out my color photo for first place was a
    30 second exposure taken at night from a bridge showing light lines of
    vehicle headlights! It was a great photograph, but about as much
    "Street" as an osprey in flight over a street.

One of the judges was unavoidablely detained, and a photo-journalist sat in
    for him to make comments on the images. The photo-journalist
    was not part of the judging trio, though. (He snorted a lot when the
    scores were announced)

There were more color shots including the A and B groups than there
    were black and white shots by more than two to one. Many of the color
    shots would have been better rendered in black and white in my opinion.

All this to say that what is approved of here, in this group, is not what
    the general photographic community thinks of as "Street".

BD, incidently, would have had a mild fit had he been there that night.
    Bums and the homeless were frequent subjects both in color and in b&w.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 9, 2013
    :duel Ah, how nice to see some fighting in here again. It's been ages. mwink.gif

Well, we've had the B&W v color argument over and over. I think the best observation came from seastack, who succinctly said, color is harder. The great photographers of the first half of the 20th century didn't have much choice--color sucked and was a huge hassle. Technology has made us luckier, so it becomes an aesthetic decision.

I agree with most of what BD had to say in his article, but the old saw “When you shoot a person in color, you see their clothes; when you shoot them in black and white, you see their souls" is catchy but utter nonsense, IMO. It makes me crazy whenever I read it. Ever see Annie Leibovitz's portrait of the Bush inner circle in Vanity Fair?

6a00d8341cc90353ef011570462c8b970b-pi.jpg

Would it have worked better in B&W? Why? It ain't broke.

OK, so that's just one example, but I'll repeat a point I have made before. Consider the history of art. The greatest portrait painters--Rafael, Rembrandt, Leonardo, Van Dyck, Velázquez, etc.--all could have painted in B&W but chose color. There was a reason for that, I suspect. Of course, as painters and not photographers, they had complete control of the palette, so color didn't have to be unruly, as it often is outside the studio. But don't give me any bullshit that soul was lacking in their work, or that somehow it would have been better in B&W.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    The color v. B/W will never be resolved. Which works better depends on the subject and the eye of the photographer. When I shot in NYC I shot mainly in B&W. When I started concentrating on wildlife I shot mostly in color. Bird captures just look better in color. However when I shot in Africa I found myself liking my B/W capture better than my color captures. When I shot people (the Masaai) I went about 90% because it was more effective. Here's a B/W capture that I recently posted

800_1491bw-XL.jpg

and the color version

800_1491-XL.jpg

In the color version my eye takes in the color of the robes, the blue sky, etc which is exactly what I wasn't trying to capture. The B/W version draws my eye more to the runners faces and emotions. I hate to say it Richard but IMHO the B/W version gives you a glimpse into their souls.

When I shoot birds I'm going to go with color (birds ain't got no soul) but when I shoot people I'm going with B&W.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited July 9, 2013
    First, to respond to Harry - I like both versions. The black and white is definitely more striking to me, however, the colors tell me something about a people who are new to me. So the question then is whether you are photographing in this case to inform, to document, or to produce "art?" If the answer's "art," I'd say the black and white wins out here. As for birds, I'd definitely go with color; they are colorful.

Richard - howdy! Yes, the Leibovitz would be better in black and white. First off, this really is a 'black and white' image, with som splotches of color, and what color there is is quite distracting. That damn red tie on Bush? It's what immediately grabs the eye. But the I am no fan of Leibovitz's commercial/editorial work. In fact, it took seeing that gigantic black and white book of her personal work to convince me that she really is quite special.

Hi, Tony - it sounds like the contest drew urban landscape photography, rather than "street photography," and it doesn't surprise me that there were a lot of "violations" of the "no bums rule," because most people seem to think that street photography men's photos of "bums." Also, given that shooting "bum" is like shooting he proverbial barreled fish, that's what I'd expect to see.;-)

And Eric, yes, your comments are quite daring and insightful, and quite clearly mark you as a trend-setting rebel. l:bigbs
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Ryan, studies? Really? You want "studies" of color v black and white? Will those studies then govern your art? If so, it ceases to art, or very creative. Is there a difference between how over-50s and kids think about the question? Of course. Read, or re-read what I wrote; the only kids today who have even heard of, much less are familiar with the work of, the photographers I say influenced me are art students, or have taken a history of photography course. The vast majority of kids today don't even know what photography is - they think it's snapping their burrito with their iPhone, and posting it on Twitter with a "retro look" filter.

Yes. I would like to see some studies about the perceived effectiveness of black and white versus color photographs in various populations given various intentions. Let me try to explain why. Unlocking how our brains process and recall images is perhaps not interesting to everyone. I gathered it would be interesting to psychologists at least. Such information could give photographers additional insight in to how their work is actually processed by the viewer. This could then inform their future creative decisions. Not everything can be "studied" yet. We still lack a great deal of understanding about how our world works. It is in the trying that we improve. There is much room for improvement.

Calculating the qualities of general populations are often effective at removing preconceived notions. On occasion our self-measurements tell us something we weren't capable of perceiving before hand. This leads to an important question: Is our reaction to art a physical, measurable reaction? If so, why would our ability to create it also not be measurable? Given a sufficiently advanced ability to understand and recreate the physical processes involved, would it be possible for a machine to replace the photographer?

Imagine what Apple will be turning out in 500 years. Hold your iPhone 3000s randomly out in front of you as you walk down the street. Its on-board neocortex computer created by Intel waits until its AI "feels" it has found the decisive moment. Snap. Automatic upload to Instagram, including retro 2013 filter. Your friends' phones review the image automatically using their on-board processors. The phones decide for themselves if it is worthy of a "like." The owner no longer need even click on it. Is it still art if machines are creating art to be perceived by other machines? I realize this is perhaps a bit silly, I'm just having some fun with the idea. If creativity is a physical process then some day its mechanical properties might be understood, then duplicated. Those future iPhone owners might look back at this conversation and think: "How quaint. They were still shooting with non-holographic sensors then!"

Would reading such studies govern the decisions I make when engaging in some future creative venture? Without a doubt. Everything I read or experience affects my perception of the world in one way or another. It is the internalization, conceptualization, and reflection of that perception I call art. I'm no philosopher, however, so I'm not sure what "school" I am a part of. I seem to recall this is the fourth time this conversation has popped up on this forum. I usually offer a similar self-effacing statement each time: "Maybe I am just a bad artist." :D
    Earache wrote: »
    Ryan,
    I am always impressed with your thoughtful and learning-forward contributions and responses in the Dgin forums. Thank-you for that.

OTOH - Mr. Colen's sneering response to your inquires reveal the thinly-veiled condescension expressed in his article when he referred to one of his students as a "bold fool" for asking a question.
    Maybe this is an uber-academic "term-of-endearment" not known to us plebeian enthusiasts - so, it could be just me.

Thank you Earache. Perhaps it is best that I am not BD's student. I perceive that I would absolutely fail his course. That wouldn't stop me from taking it, however. I'm entitled to my opinion as BD is entitled to his. I hope that we can rationally discuss ideas without resorting to name calling at all. The world would be a dull and dreary place if we always agreed. Quite frankly, I very much enjoy a contrary point of view. By hearing an alternate viewpoint I am able to re-examine my position and ask myself "Wait, do I _really_ think that?" I have found these types of conversations to be some of the most meaningful ones to engage in. I *like* being challenged.

I would hope I'm mature enough to admit that I may be the fool. And if I am, then I accept that it is okay to be one. Only by accepting such a position could I hope to change my point of view. If I wasn't willing to change, then I wouldn't have so much as clicked on this forum post to begin with.
    First, to respond to Harry - I like both versions. The black and white is definitely more striking to me, however, the colors tell me something about a people who are new to me. So the question then is whether you are photographing in this case to inform, to document, or to produce "art?" If the answer's "art," I'd say the black and white wins out here. As for birds, I'd definitely go with color; they are colorful.
    .snip.

I enjoy both versions as well. Great stuff Harry. It is a great photograph, color or b+w.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited July 10, 2013
    Yes, the Leibovitz would be better in black and white. First off, this really is a 'black and white' image, with som splotches of color, and what color there is is quite distracting. That damn red tie on Bush? It's what immediately grabs the eye.

Well, different strokes I guess. For me, the red power tie is part of the story here, one that would be lost in B&W. The only other red tie is worn by Andrew Card, W's Chief of Staff, and it's noticeably (significantly?) more subdued. I chose this example not because I think it's a great color shot as such, but because when I saw an original print of it at a Leibovitz show, I was struck by how much arrogance and power the people projected. Color did not diminish that impression at all.

Nevertheless, I agree that color can be a distraction and, in fact, usually is on the street, where it's often jarring. But it's image specific; rules about clothes and souls are far too simplistic to be taken seriously.
    edited July 10, 2013
    I don't disagree, Richard, and as I said in the piece, talk of souls makes my skin crawl. But I stand by my main point, which is that color is for images in which color is a, or the major subject, otherwise is is a distraction. I wrote the piece in response to the editor's request that I write a piece about why Ifavor black and white, not why anyone else should or shouldn't produce black and white images. But I know that youknew that.

Oh, finally, in belated response to the comments about my reference in the piece to a student as a fool. Of course I never would call a student in a class a fool, or anything of the sort. And given than my MIT course - filled with students all of whom, even the most foolish, are brighter than I - most recently had a student rating of 6.5 out of 7, and I had a rating as an instructor of 6.7 out of 7, my guess is that I'm doing something right. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    I understand BD's reluctance to try to study the topic, Ryan. Photography and art is very subjective, and it would seem therefore hard to study and certainly hard to quantify. But what I think you are wanting, Ryan, is not a study of whether people LIKE black and white better, but whether the lack of color helps people to focus on different aspects of an image. And that probably can be studied.

JPEG compression came about after studying how the visual system interprets visual data and what data can be thrown away and still not fool the eye. (To me, JPG mostly succeeds at that goal.) MP3 compression came about after studying the auditory system and knowing what parts of a complex audio system can be thrown away and not affect the sound quality. (To me, it fails at what it tries to do. Sure it saves file space, but it drastically impacts the sound). And MP4 compression came about as a means of compressing video images rather than still images in such a manner as to save space but not be visually different. (As with JPG, I think MP4 mostly succeeds at its goal too).

So these subjective things, does the image look the same, does the music sound the same, does the video look the same, CAN be studied. And if you want to know if B&W is less distracting in some manner that COULD be studied. Perhaps not precisely, but studied to some degree sure.

Still its been an interesting read. I actually thought about my own racing photography from a few years back. While I dabbled a lot in B&W conversions I realized that in many cases the color versions are better. The green of the grass, the colors in the car bodies and the paint graphics, the color in helmets, etc. Color is part of the soul of a race car image.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    RyanS wrote: »

Thank you Earache. Perhaps it is best that I am not BD's student. I perceive that I would absolutely fail his course. That wouldn't stop me from taking it, however. I'm entitled to my opinion as BD is entitled to his. I hope that we can rationally discuss ideas without resorting to name calling at all. The world would be a dull and dreary place if we always agreed. Quite frankly, I very much enjoy a contrary point of view. By hearing an alternate viewpoint I am able to re-examine my position and ask myself "Wait, do I _really_ think that?" I have found these types of conversations to be some of the most meaningful ones to engage in. I *like* being challenged.

I would hope I'm mature enough to admit that I may be the fool. And if I am, then I accept that it is okay to be one. Only by accepting such a position could I hope to change my point of view. If I wasn't willing to change, then I wouldn't have so much as clicked on this forum post to begin with.

Thank-you Ryan for taking the time to respond to all the contributors to this thread - as Richard noted it was probably time for the folks to mix-it-up a little bit.
    Your viewpoints are detailed, outcome oriented, and gently expressed in your (self-described) self-effacing manner - probably a positive example for us curmudgeons.

I agree that viewpoint/challenge/debate/discussion are all desirable modes for learning and so, change - my point was, it can (should?) be done without in-civility and useless, rhetorical, non-responses.
    To me, your focused, better technique illustrates my point.
    Allowing for differences in communication styles, none of us must accept (I understand your willingness to do so as a function of learning modes) the label of Fool or (now for me) BS'er to contribute/benefit from these discussions.
    I think it is a shame that such is passed-off as Authoritative and "Artistic" is this forum, however, I do recognize this is probably a classic example of a "personality conflict" - likely more unresolvable than Color vs. B&W... so, I yield and return to my cell. mwink.gif

Actually, the best thing about this thread is the opportunity to see Harry's unparallelled B&W image of the Masaai - WOW, again.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    :duel Ah, how nice to see some fighting in here again. It's been ages. mwink.gif

Well, we've had the B&W v color argument over and over. I think the best observation came from seastack, who succinctly said, color is harder. The great photographers of the first half of the 20th century didn't have much choice--color sucked and was a huge hassle. Technology has made us luckier, so it becomes an aesthetic decision.

I agree with most of what BD had to say in his article, but the old saw “When you shoot a person in color, you see their clothes; when you shoot them in black and white, you see their souls" is catchy but utter nonsense, IMO. It makes me crazy whenever I read it. Ever see Annie Leibovitz's portrait of the Bush inner circle in Vanity Fair?

6a00d8341cc90353ef011570462c8b970b-pi.jpg

Would it have worked better in B&W? Why? It ain't broke.

OK, so that's just one example, but I'll repeat a point I have made before. Consider the history of art. The greatest portrait painters--Rafael, Rembrandt, Leonardo, Van Dyck, Velázquez, etc.--all could have painted in B&W but chose color. There was a reason for that, I suspect. Of course, as painters and not photographers, they had complete control of the palette, so color didn't have to be unruly, as it often is outside the studio. But don't give me any bullshit that soul was lacking in their work, or that somehow it would have been better in B&W.

Not only could they have painted in monochrome, Richard, they actually did, occasionally. One term for the technique is Grisaille.

I first came across the term, grisaille, at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art , which displays several grisailles of C M Russell.

"Color kills shape", as J Maisel used to say.

Interesting discussion in this thread.thumb.gif

I do find I agree with the thread of BD's article, concerning monochrome versus color photography, which is well worth reflecting on. Maybe because I used to buy my Tri-X in 100 foot rolls too...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 10, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Not only could they have painted in monochrome, Richard, they actually did, occasionally. One term for the technique is Grisaille.

Well, yeah, but grisaille is little more than a footnote in the history of painting. A renaissance court painter would have quickly lost his job if he presented one to his patron. Mostly, it was an academic exercise for students. Interestingly, if you read the Wiki link and think about it, sometimes it was actually used much in the same way Dan Margulis uses B&W in his picture perfect workflow.

That's not to say that monochrome has no place in painting. Picasso's Guernica is one of the most powerful images ever; it's pure greyscale and part of its impact comes from that. Still, most of the photorealist painters working today do color, not monochrome.

Just to be clear: I love B&W and use it all the time. I only object to giving some transcendental value to it. Historically, it was simply a necessity, as was the use of prime lenses as opposed to zooms, which weren't very good until relatively recently. Sometimes it's the right choice, but it's just ridiculous to be dismissive about color. I know full well that BD is not dismissive about color, but the clothes/soul quote he cited is, and that's what set me off here.
    edited July 10, 2013
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I understand BD's reluctance to try to study the topic, Ryan. Photography and art is very subjective, and it would seem therefore hard to study and certainly hard to quantify. But what I think you are wanting, Ryan, is not a study of whether people LIKE black and white better, but whether the lack of color helps people to focus on different aspects of an image. And that probably can be studied.

JPEG compression came about after studying how the visual system interprets visual data and what data can be thrown away and still not fool the eye. (To me, JPG mostly succeeds at that goal.) MP3 compression came about after studying the auditory system and knowing what parts of a complex audio system can be thrown away and not affect the sound quality. (To me, it fails at what it tries to do. Sure it saves file space, but it drastically impacts the sound). And MP4 compression came about as a means of compressing video images rather than still images in such a manner as to save space but not be visually different. (As with JPG, I think MP4 mostly succeeds at its goal too).

So these subjective things, does the image look the same, does the music sound the same, does the video look the same, CAN be studied. And if you want to know if B&W is less distracting in some manner that COULD be studied. Perhaps not precisely, but studied to some degree sure.

Still its been an interesting read. I actually thought about my own racing photography from a few years back. While I dabbled a lot in B&W conversions I realized that in many cases the color versions are better. The green of the grass, the colors in the car bodies and the paint graphics, the color in helmets, etc.

" Color is part of the soul of a race car image.

And therefore it belongs in images of auto racing.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 10, 2013
    A few responses:

Lensmole, you we expecting formulae? At discussion about black and white and color is about personal creative choices. You don't like mine? Good for you.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that you have gain over the years and your ability to cut through the crap. No, I was not looking for a formula but rather some consistency. I do understand that cameras are simply designed to capture light. However, when you add colored filters in the process you are also adding noise to the image and less dynamic range...but now with the ability to convert your image back to a B/W with all those fancy hue adjustments, which you would not be able to do without the colored filters. Now, if you were still shooting your Tri X you would have had to add the filters to your lens beforehand, depending on your own creative choices. This is a totally different way of shooting and thinking when it comes to making B/W images. The cameras processing software that produces color images has more to do with the quality than the sensor, but the key here is processing software in the camera. B.D you are still allowing your students to use processing software and when you convert images "you" are using processing software. Do you consider it B/W photography when you and your students convert images using in camera processing software? I just thought I would mention some of the liabilities.
    edited July 11, 2013
    I do not allow them to use in camera bw conversion, and in fact urge them to shoot RAW. As to filters, fair enough, but...keep in mind that one different grades of paper, and then filters with the magic of multigrade papers, do produce black and white prints. You're not expecting consistency from me, are you? :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 11, 2013
    I do not allow them to use in camera bw conversion, and in fact urge them to shoot RAW. As to filters, fair enough, but...keep in mind that one different grades of paper, and then filters with the magic of multigrade papers, do produce black and white prints. You're not expecting consistency from me, are you? :-)

Why not three different cameras for creative choices one for color,monochrome and just for fun infrared.
    Personally I would rather choke myself to death than ever process a color picture especially in lightroom. Color has never looked real to me. I have tried it but I actually feel kind of sick just looking at it.

20130711-L1001984-L.jpg
    edited July 11, 2013
    lensmole wrote: »
    Why not three different cameras for creative choices one for color,monochrome and just for fun infrared.
    Personally I would rather choke myself to death than ever process a color picture especially in lightroom. Color has never looked real to me. I have tried it but I actually feel kind of sick just looking at it.

20130711-L1001984-L.jpg

You're not going to get me to bite, Mole rolleyes1.gif, other than to note that many of us used to carry one or two bodies loaded with Tri-X, and another body or two loaded with slide or color negative film. For me, one of the main advantages of digital, is that my camera always is loaded with every form of color and black and white film, at every iso, and I can make infinite choices for each frame. clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2013
    Sigh... I was hoping for some "clarity" here as I've started thinking a little more seriously about and making attempts at B&W processing. Guess not. It occurs to me that every hobby/interest I have has a message board equivalent of this. For example, don't ever go to a vintage motorcycle forum and ask about "correct" motor oils. Such is life I suppose...

Oh and no offense to Harry but I prefer the color version... shrug.. I think it a spectacular shot and I honestly went right to the eyes on both of them. I'd wager that A well printed version would be sublime and somewhat breathtaking. 2 cents..
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    Sigh... I was hoping for some "clarity" here as I've started thinking a little more seriously about and making attempts at B&W processing. Guess not. It occurs to me that every hobby/interest I have has a message board equivalent of this. For example, don't ever go to a vintage motorcycle forum and ask about "correct" motor oils. Such is life I suppose....

Clarity of what? When to use black and white and when to use color?

It's simple. With a DSLR, when the image opens, it will be in color unless you have
    your camera set to black and white.

Step 1: You look at the image.

Step 2: You process it in color.

Step 3: You think it might look more interesting in black and white,
    so you process it in black and white.

Step 4. You decide which one you like. The digital workflow allows you
    to save both.

Forget "soul" and all that stuff. Go with the one you like.

There is a step 5: You link to it here and then read the comments
    about how people would like to see the color version if you posted
    it in black and white, or they would like to see the black and white
    version if you posted it in color.

Posting a link to both is wimpy.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited July 11, 2013
    Sigh... I was hoping for some "clarity" here as I've started thinking a little more seriously about and making attempts at B&W processing. Guess not. It occurs to me that every hobby/interest I have has a message board equivalent of this. For example, don't ever go to a vintage motorcycle forum and ask about "correct" motor oils. Such is life I suppose...

Oh and no offense to Harry but I prefer the color version... shrug.. I think it a spectacular shot and I honestly went right to the eyes on both of them. I'd wager that A well printed version would be sublime and somewhat breathtaking. 2 cents..

First "rule," superduckz - there are no "rules." :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2013
    tonycooper wrote: »
    clarity of what? When to use black and white and when to use color?

It's simple. With a dslr, when the image opens, it will be in color unless you have
    your camera set to black and white.

Step 1: You look at the image.
    ok

step 2: You process it in color.
    in any of a trillion possible ways but sure. I'm with you.

step 3: You think it might look more interesting in black and white,
    so you process it in black and white.
    "in
    "interesting"? THAT covers a LOT of ground but OK

step 4. You decide which one you like. The digital workflow allows you
    to save both.
    Mmkay..

Forget "soul" and all that stuff. Go with the one you like.
    oh ok. Never mind. Color then. I prefer it. The b&w attempts are just to see if there's a there there. I get it but i don't "get it i suppose..

there is a step 5: You link to it here and then read the comments
    about how people would like to see the color version if you posted
    it in black and white, or they would like to see the black and white
    version if you posted it in color.
    yeh... Been there.
    posting a link to both is wimpy.

thanks.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2013

No offense taken Steve. Its OK that you like the color version better. You're wrong of course because you don't agree with me. :D A printed version of that capture (B&W of course) will be on my office wall soon.

There never will be clarity on the B&W v. color discussion. Its in the eye of the individual photographer. The picture I posted was a real moment for me. My buddy, Andy, and I laid down on the course and shot while the Maasai warriors raced around and over us, covering us with dust and dirt (that's one of the reasons for their smiles). I recall that moment often and when I recall it, its in black and white.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"