Options

5D2 to 6D

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited July 15, 2013 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
With the current deals at B&H regarding the 6D and 5D3 bundles, I was considering buying a 6D. Has anyone upgraded from a 5D2 to a 6D ? I use center point focus, and have no trouble locking on, even in very low light. I have posted several pics demonstrating this, however, the 6D is a bit smaller, with newer technology. I don't shoot sports, or any other fast action photography, but mainly still life, portraits, landscapes, etc. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :thumb Thanks for looking.
Have a good night :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    Over to FM...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited July 9, 2013
    Using DXOMark, which provides a somewhat measured approach based on DXO Optics Pro as the RAW converter, the primary image advantage to the 6D vs 5D Mark II is in the dynamic range (DR). In DR the two cameras start out more similar than different, but by ISO 1600 there is about a 1/3rd stop advantage to the 6D. By ISO 25,600 the 6D shows around 1 2/3rd stops better.

Both DPReview and The Digital Picture (TDP) mention the extra sensitivity of the 6D AF section, and TDP does mention that the AF system of the 6D is noticeably worse than the 5D MKIII, but they seem to indicate the 5D MKII is more similar than different to the 6D.

For your stated purposes of "... still life, portraits, landscapes, etc." the 6D is certainly up to the task, but won't really provide much benefit until the very high ISOs.

Indeed, just moving to a more compatible RAW image processor may mitigate the differences between the 6D and the 5D MKII, and my testing indicates that Capture One Pro (C1P) is a much better choice for RAW processing than Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), both for noise signature at high-ISOs and for default tonality (although a custom ACR profile can be built so that ACR and C1P look very similar.)

Finally, while the 6D does have a faster shooting rate than the 5D MKII (4.5 fps vs 3.9 fps), and a slightly deeper shot buffer, plus a faster image processor which allows many more JPGs in a sequence, the 6D shutter is decidedly less durable with a rating of 100,000 vs the 5D MKII rating of 150,000. The 6D shutter is also flash-sync rated at 1/180th while the 5D MKII is rated at 1/200th.

My suggestion is to try C1P first to see if their RAW conversion engine yields enough advantage of 5D MKII images at high-ISOs to render the decision moot.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    A 6D would make sense for your uses, but it's a pretty minimal upgrade. I think the only reason to go from a 5D2 to a 6D would be if your 5D2 is about to die or you need a 2nd body. Some nice features of the 6D are the silent shutter mode (not totally silent, but much more discrete) and in-cam HDR which I don't think you really need for landscape if you use a good raw converter, but I find it very handy for real estate.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2013
    5D2 to 6D
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    Thanks for the feedback thumb.gif Looks like I'll stay with ma 5D2 for now, since the iq is about the same. I don't shoot high iso anymore, so I wouldn't see a difference in 13" x 19'' prints. Still, for the price of everything in that bundle, the 6D would be under $1200. Thanks again.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    Thanks for the feedback thumb.gif Looks like I'll stay with ma 5D2 for now, since the iq is about the same. I don't shoot high iso anymore, so I wouldn't see a difference in 13" x 19'' prints. Still, for the price of everything in that bundle, the 6D would be under $1200. Thanks again.
    Jim...

the 6D has a few more features but you probably wouldn't notice much difference.
    As the price goes down it does get more tempting though!
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    5D2 to 6D
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    the 6D has a few more features but you probably wouldn't notice much difference.
    As the price goes down it does get more tempting though!

Morning Brett,
    Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated thumb.gif As I mentioned before, I'll stick with ma 5D2. It serves all my current needs, but the 6D bundle was sooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks again,
    Jim...