20D & THE 24-105

madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited December 7, 2005 in Cameras
Howdy All

Its xmas time so its time for the communal xmas present; a new lens.
After narrowing it down to either a wide angle or a 'street' lens I am still at a loss as to what to get :dunno

I have the 100-400 IS L so i have been spoilt by L glass. Now all the consumer grade lenses i have in the above ranges seem soft. From doing the rounds of the review sites I am seeing widely varying opinions on the 24-105 on a 20D. Does anyone around here using that combo have any opinions they would care to share??

Down the wide angle of town I am currently torn between the 10-22 (good reviews but the ef-s bothers me) and the 17-40L (again good reviews but not really wide on a 20D).
I can see a long day at the camera shop testing lenses :D

Cain
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    On the 10-22, I own it because I didn't see myself getting rid of the 20D anytime soon. While the 5D is "affordable" for a full frame sensor, it's still $3000 and that's some cash for a non pro.

So if you plan on keeping the 20D for some time, I will say buy the 10-22 with confidence. It's a superb lens that is very sharp and akin to having the same focal length as the 16-35 on a full frame.

• madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Howdy Khaos

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Though given the cash I would go a 1DMkII N rather than a 5D, as the extra AF points would be nice. Again though the 10-22 doesn't work on that body.
    Having said that I cannot see me having one of those for quite awhile :):
    I would say the 10-22 is in the lead at the prior to any testing.

To put a dampener on the whole thing, my preferred local shop doesn't have any 24-105s or 17-40s in stock. They are even running low on 10-22s. There aren't too many camera shops here that stock the more expensive glass.

Cain
    "One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    I'd go for the 17-40 f/4L (that's what I did anyway). It's got the expected quality factors of an L lens and will work on a full frame if you ever go down that route. I guess it depends on what you plan on using the wide angle lens for. I wanted wide shots for landscape but found I can get what I want using the 17-40 and stitching photographs in post processing.

Erich