How can I fix this problem

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited July 23, 2013 in Sports
How can I fix this, in camera when im shooting? To me the first 2 look too harsh (even if I drop the exposure in LR I still dont like the way they look, the whole sign becomes too dark with shadows) and the third has nice soft light. Is there something im my camera settings I can do? Obviously the first 2 were taken in the same spot, sun to my back right about 45-90* and the third the sun was covered by clouds.
Any help?

July13-1018-L.jpg

July13-1029-L.jpg

July13-259-L.jpg
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    Shoot on overcast days. There isn't anything you can do for midday sun, it is what it is.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    also reduce your saturation a bit on the first two - that will definitely help.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    I quite like them, I don't see a problem. I guess reduce saturation a little, reduce contrast a little. Also try a lower shutter speed to blur the tires and convey speed.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    I think they look fine to me. You could try changing your white balance on your camera to Cloudy. I find that this helps in full sun.
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    Thanks for the comments. Ive been messing around and lower the saturation and contrast does help some, thanks. photo dad, wouldn't shooting in cloudy raise the color temp therefor giving the images a somewhat more saturated look?
    D300s D90

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    To me, the first 2 are perfect. This is how I strive to shoot moto. Bright vibrant color. Hard awesome light.

#3 is puketacular in comparison. It looks like a dreary overcast day. I would warm it up, and up the exposure and contrast.
    edited July 18, 2013
    Zero, thanks for the input, they were all actually shot within a few hours of each other. The last one the sun had ducked behind some clouds.
    D300s D90

edited July 18, 2013
    In the end you can not control the sun, clouds or weather. Unless you bring a few big lights and set up each shot. mwink.gif
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    Not sure if you're doing this, but I might suggest shooting in RAW format so that you have more editorial flexibility. Once you've blown a jpeg it is rather hard to correct it.

Shooting in direct, overhead sunlight is just a bear. I try to be sure I'm not blowing any highlights, then bring up the shadows in the post. WIth a bit of work on the curves I can get decent exposure in the shadows and still have the highlights unclipped.
    edited July 19, 2013
    I think exposing for no unclipped highlights makes no sense at all. There are things that you see that are just white and just black. If you expose for no clipped highlights you will lose pop and loose contrast in photos.
    edited July 19, 2013
    Shooting in raw is really not an option. I click off over 2k images in a day. Raw just takes up too much card space.
    D300s D90

• JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    Shooting in raw is really not an option. I click off over 2k images in a day. Raw just takes up too much card space.
    That seems like an awful lot of pictures. How about trying to be a little more selective on your shots to save space?
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited July 22, 2013
    I shoot motocross race and obstacle course races. I need to get multiple shots of each racers as they pass.
    D300s D90

• DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    I'm guessing you can't just set yourself up any where you want. First two photo's got hit right in the side by the sun. Doing field trial dogs I found that I really needed to pay attention to where I set myself up in relation to the bog's break away. With dogs standing on point, I don't get to chose much so have to take what ever I can get. I have a number of photo's of dog's on point and good light direction, mostly set ups though. Those are really nice photo's you took, I'd be tickled pink if I had taken those. In some thing's, you get the light you get. Either take in that light or take nothing.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    the think I notice is the background is a little distracting in the first one. If you had stood slightly to the left the guy and that other bike would not be visible. Could take them out in PS but it would be some work. Overall, I think they look good.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 22, 2013
    DonFischer wrote: »
    I'm guessing you can't just set yourself up any where you want.

It depends on the track and organizer's decisions about where you can go. The thing to do is try and walk the track and figure out where the sun is gonna be and work around the sun so it's mostly behind you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the three images except maybe the saturation in the first too-but not by too much.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 23, 2013

A typical day for me as well...I just have an extra card or two in my pocket. Memory is really cheap.
    edited July 23, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I think exposing for no unclipped highlights makes no sense at all. There are things that you see that are just white and just black. If you expose for no clipped highlights you will lose pop and loose contrast in photos.

OK, specular highlights are fine if clipped; anything on the main subject with texture or detail is not IMHO. A clipped white jersey just looks bad to my eye. There are other exceptions, like a subject in shadow with a really bright background that is not relevant to, or even distracting from, the subject. I don't mind clipping in this scenario. However, when the subject has anything more than specular-induced clipping, it looks bad to my eye. Maybe that's just me...
    edited July 23, 2013
    I guess they arent as bad as I thought, thanks for the positive response's.
    D300s D90