Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 17, 2013
    #2 is lovely. thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    No. 2 is lovely indeed. First one? Eh. But...Horizons are...horizontal. And number one is a good, strong image; no gimmicks required. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    a little dark?

Thank you for your feedback! I am still tweaking my processing a little bit at a time. Firstly to satisfy myself and secondly the viewer hopefully something that fits both requirements.
    Richard wrote: »
    #2 is lovely. thumb.gif

Thank you for commenting Richard ! Much appreciated !
    bdcolen wrote: »
    No. 2 is lovely indeed. First one? Eh. But...Horizons are...horizontal. And number one is a good, strong image; no gimmicks required. :-)

Thank you B.D.! It is not often I see a Bull Terrier they were almost exclusivity bred for fighting bulls and bears that were tied to a post. I have a gimmickless camera that only allows me control over ISO,Shutter speed,aperature and of course manual focus and no color option. I feel more connected to the camera than I do with auto focus and all the other bells and whistles. Intuitively it feels like the right choice for me . I have been concentrating on processing and leaving things like cropping for my final edits,but I seem to be more successful lately in my framing while composing.

Photography is not about tricks or gimmicks,it is about (seeing something) and how to best capture it.Quote B.D Colen.
    edited July 20, 2013
    Damn! I meant number 2, which is by far the better image.;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2013
    I think #2 is far better also, a personal contact between the dog and owner. I wouldn't tweek them anymore, wouldn't know how. I think the content of the photo has far more to do with the photo than how well it is tweeked.
    edited July 20, 2013
    Damn! I meant number 2, which is by far the better image.;-)

I was under the impression that good street shots need a bit of natural tilt.:lol
    DonFischer wrote: »
    I think #2 is far better also, a personal contact between the dog and owner. I wouldn't tweek them anymore, wouldn't know how. I think the content of the photo has far more to do with the photo than how well it is tweeked.

Thank you DonFischer ! I agree with all of the above not much of a story or emotion in the first but I find it visually appealing to my eye and also the dog kind of reminds me of the smooth coat Fox Terrier stick his nose into the gramophone on the old R C A record label.
    edited July 21, 2013
    For whatever it's worth - Photo one is a perfectly nice shot of a sitting guy and a standing dog, neither of whom are particularly interesting or appealing to my eye. The image is more than a bit shadow-ridden, and not with shadows that have any appeal. Image 2, however, is a lovely shot of a man and his dog, showing the connection between the two. It has particular appeal because of the contrast between the relatively large guy, and little foofy dog. As I said, I can do without the tilt - I can always do without false tilts, but I like the image none the less. It is also far better composed and exposed than image 1.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 21, 2013
    For whatever it's worth - Photo one is a perfectly nice shot of a sitting guy and a standing dog, neither of whom are particularly interesting or appealing to my eye. The image is more than a bit shadow-ridden, and not with shadows that have any appeal. Image 2, however, is a lovely shot of a man and his dog, showing the connection between the two. It has particular appeal because of the contrast between the relatively large guy, and little foofy dog. As I said, I can do without the tilt - I can always do without false tilts, but I like the image none the less. It is also far better composed and exposed than image 1.

Very much appreciated B.D. ! Just to let you know the image was composed as seen, not necessarily intentional but no tilt was added in post
    processing. I hate shooting on sunny days.