Options

A Camera that takes AA batteries

Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited July 18, 2013 in Cameras
We are looking to replace a old Canon SX20, the camera must use AA Batteries and have a good zoom like the Canon SX. Any recommendations.

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited July 17, 2013
    The Sony Cyber-shot H200 comes to mind. Uses AA batteries, has a 26x zoom with optical IS, similar form-factor to the Canon SX-20 IS. (One reviewer mentions that this body is picky about the type of AA it uses.)

The Pentax X-5 also has a 26x zoom with optical IS.

The Nikon Coolpix L810 has a 26x zoom with ED elements and optical IS. (I do see on 2 sites a recurring theme of the Coolpix L810 being slow to focus.)

Nothing from Canon in that form-factor using AA batteries, but the Canon Powershot SX160 IS appears to still use AA batteries. Zoom is 16x and does have optical IS. (Much smaller form factor.)

In good light I suspect that any of the above can do a decent job.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    SX160 isn't bad, but the flash sucks. It takes forever for it to charge on AA batteries. I bought one to replace my mom's old P&S that also took AA (forgot which Canon) and other than the flash being extremely slow to charge (even with fresh batteries) it's not a bad travel cam.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Sony Cyber-shot H200 comes to mind. Uses AA batteries, has a 26x zoom with optical IS, similar form-factor to the Canon SX-20 IS. (One reviewer mentions that this body is picky about the type of AA it uses.)

The Pentax X-5 also has a 26x zoom with optical IS.

The Nikon Coolpix L810 has a 26x zoom with ED elements and optical IS. (I do see on 2 sites a recurring theme of the Coolpix L810 being slow to focus.)

Nothing from Canon in that form-factor using AA batteries, but the Canon Powershot SX160 IS appears to still use AA batteries. Zoom is 16x and does have optical IS. (Much smaller form factor.)

In good light I suspect that any of the above can do a decent job.

Thanks for the feed back I will put those to her
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    SX160 isn't bad, but the flash sucks. It takes forever for it to charge on AA batteries. I bought one to replace my mom's old P&S that also took AA (forgot which Canon) and other than the flash being extremely slow to charge (even with fresh batteries) it's not a bad travel cam.

Thanks Jim