Options

I have just discovered....

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 25, 2013 in People
Lightscape overlays (google it if you don't know what I'm talking about). Please excuse me while my flare-loving self giggles with glee at the thought of nailing perfect flare every time without having to shoot dozens of extra images for, even if I can't always get it in camera because of angle/cranky exposure/cranky AF/client who keep turning head the wrong way/sudden cloud cover/insert impediment of choice.

As you were. I'll calm down in a moment. :D

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    haha..like a school girl!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    Which Lightscape Overlays did you go with?
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    For now, Kaleidescope. I have my eye on the greatergatsby ones, too, but the former had a free trial package to give a whirl. So I did. Happy happy!

Yes, Qarik, I am giddy. GIDDY!!
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    Declaring myself as king of sun flare on this forum, I must say they are pretty awesome..BUT easily executable without em! :)
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    I bow to your sunflare awesomeocity (truly), but since I appear to be the queen of "Why did that light circle have to hit exactly on her boob?" and "gorgeous flare, shame about the focus" and "crap, we had to shoot an hour too early to get perfect light" almost-but-not-quite shots ...... the idea of having some helpers up my sleeve is pleasing. Most pleasing.... :D
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    I bow to your sunflare awesomeocity (truly), but since I appear to be the queen of "Why did that light circle have to hit exactly on her boob?" and "gorgeous flare, shame about the focus" and "crap, we had to shoot an hour too early to get perfect light" almost-but-not-quite shots ...... the idea of having some helpers up my sleeve is pleasing. Most pleasing.... :D

Haha! I've run into all those problems, but here are some helpful protips for you to achieve epic sunflare:

1. Make sure your camera is set to spot metering and only enable to the center AF point (especially since you are using the mkii since their AF system is garbage)

2. Found a good spot for flare? Awesome. Move away from the flare at the same distance from the subject, autofocus so your camera can easily detect the subject, recompose the shot back to the flare, and tap down that shutter to get a perfectly in focus shot. If this doesn't work, switch manual focus and zoom in in live view for tack sharp focus.

3. Having trouble controlling flare? Angle the lens a little upward or downward. Still not working? move around the subject in a circular motion to see where the flare looks best, have her pose to compliment that flare, and shoot away. (The last tip is to better control that boob flare XD).

Of course, like anything else, it's a learning curve. Still a nice find though! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    thumb.gif

Great tips! I'm always on the center AF point on the 5dII, but I admit I usually shoot into the sun while shooting other setups too, and forget to turn to spot metering (whoops) - may be why my results are often so unpredictable. It may be a good time to use the back button focus lock, too; haven't experimented with that, but I may at some point.

One other Q for you: when shooting into the light, I often find that I am LITERALLY blind - I can't see through the viewfinder haze and just have to hope the camera finds the subject and AF's. Are you actually seeing the flare results in the viewfinder?

Just to clarify for anybody who thinks I have turned into a spray, pray and fix it in post shooter: I would never want to rely only on post effects for this, but I love being able to control it a little more after the fact when needed (emphasis on "needed"). I HATE the flare "effect" in PS and have never added it in my life - sooo fake looking - but carefully used these look entirely natural to me. And I'd never heard of them before, hence why I got so excited. (It's obvious, really, since there are now textures for just about everything including clouds, but it never even occurred to me to add it when needed!)
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    While you sound excited, I hope you don't overdo it with the flaring. mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    thumb.gif
    Great tips! I'm always on the center AF point on the 5dII, but I admit I usually shoot into the sun while shooting other setups too, and forget to turn to spot metering (whoops) - may be why my results are often so unpredictable. It may be a good time to use the back button focus lock, too; haven't experimented with that, but I may at some point.

One other Q for you: when shooting into the light, I often find that I am LITERALLY blind - I can't see through the viewfinder haze and just have to hope the camera finds the subject and AF's. Are you actually seeing the flare results in the viewfinder?

Spot metering will give you the most control. I actually never switch out of that mode. Mainly shooting lifestyle/PJ work, I'm always entering different lighting environments, so I feel this mode gives you the most creative control for light.

That's really strange. So when you look through the view finder with sunflare shots, you just see haze? If you snap a shot, does it show up find when you view through live view? I'm able to see the flare without a problem. A quick solution would be to shoot in live view for flare to see how the shot would look, give it the okay, switch off live view, and recompose/shoot the shot as you normally would. If I were you, I'd go get it serviced for a cleaning and see if they can fix that for you. It will make your life a LOT eaiser :D
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    Oh, it's not the camera - it's my vision/eyes (and I'm prone to "sunblind" when I'm not looking through the viewfinder too). I shoot without my glasses and use the diopter adjustment to get "close enough" for most things, but when the light is really strong my eyes just won't focus right!! It's also why I do NOT trust my manual focusing..........................
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2013
    I think I need a link.
    Tried googling.. and my results were not all that great.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2013
    While you sound excited, I hope you don't overdo it with the flaring. mwink.gif

(missed this response Ted - sorry!)

Nooooooo............. Would be easy to do that (new toys!!) but I promise to be tasteful and restrained. And ALWAYS try to get it in camera first :)