It's not about color

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited July 21, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Not these photos, anyway. I did a short series at the
March Against Gun Violence here in Orlando yesterday.
All 26 images in my gallery at:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/March-Against-Gun-Violence/30608762_t532XG
All but one in color because I like it that way for this group.

This shot pulled out for the group because it shows that the routine
of dog walking goes on while others have a message to deliver.

2017-07-17-09-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2013
    Tony, are you aware of how incredibly far your photography has come since you first started posting here? This is a consistently strong set of images, one you never could have, or would have, shot back when. In terms of the subject matter, framing, willingness to visually engage with the action and subjects, these might as well be by another photographer. Congratulations!

A to the question of color: color is the language of modern photo journalism, which is the genre into which these images fall. It is indeed appropriate. However - :-) - look at each page of thumb nails, and notice how they eye is drawn immediately to the reds in th images in which its present.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2013
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Tony, are you aware of how incredibly far your photography has come since you first started posting here? This is a consistently strong set of images, one you never could have, or would have, shot back when. In terms of the subject matter, framing, willingness to visually engage with the action and subjects, these might as well be by another photographer. Congratulations!

Thank you for the comments. Heady stuff, indeed.

I've made some slight changes in my shooting style. I shoot an entry-level
    Nikon D60 with the kit lenses and no live view. (I figure if I ever outgrow my camera,
    I'll upgrade, but that hasn't happened yet.) I go out now with the 18/55 and leave
    the 55/200 in the bag. That forces me to get closer and engage.

I shoot much lower than I used to shoot. I'm now more conscious of the lens
    being at eye level to the subject. With the child in one photo, and the lady in
    the wheelchair, I got down to one knee to get to eye level. That seems to help.

A to the question of color: color is the language of modern photo journalism, which is the genre into which these images fall. It is indeed appropriate. However - :-) - look at each page of thumb nails, and notice how they eye is drawn immediately to the reds in th images in which its present.

I followed the dictate of "There's a story here". To me, it wasn't just about
    people. It was about people with signs. Their story was in the signs. They
    used colors, primarily red, to make the signs more eye-catching. To reduce
    those signs to black and white seemed to minimize the story they wanted to
    tell. It seemed to blend the signs in with the overall image, and that wasn't
    the story I saw.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2013
    Well thought out decision - as was moving to the wider lens from the sniper scope.;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed