Options

First real attempt, C&C appreciated

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited July 21, 2013 in People
I recently picked up a few flashes from a local photographer who is upgrading, and so has begun a whole new learning curve for me. I'v never really used flash before, so it's been a steep learning process but I'm liking what I get for portraiture. A few days ago I talked a friend of mine into putting on something pretty and coming over to model for me. I figured I would start simple and learn the flash, so I just used the 580 EX on camera. I had the diffuser down, but otherwise no light modifiers. I'm rather pleased with my results given the simple setup, but what would everyones far better trained eyes suggest I do in the future?

_MG_8072-L.jpg

_MG_8071-L.jpg

_MG_8062-L.jpg

_MG_8060-Edit-L.jpg

Thanks!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    #1 is the poorest of the bunch for me. Don't like that bright elbow stabbing me in the eye. The exposure on the bkg and her is actually pretty good so big congrats for that.

#2 is really nice except for that pesky arm up. You have her posed in a very feminine S curve, that is very flattering. Bring that arm down and you've got a superior shot. Again same area so the exposure is great.

#3 like the bokeh and a great hair light using the sun. Her head is angled a little much for my taste. Your exposure is nice but that flash creates very small catch lights in her eye.

#4 Is just a plain old fun shot. Lots of blow highlights but it is a fun shot.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    Great first try!

#1 is a keeper if you crop the left hand side; nice shot other than the elbow.

#2 could lose some headroom but has potential

#3 is great - a little close for me (I'd like more below her chin), but overall a nice shot

Keep at it - these are on the right track!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    The 1st 2 shots are in complete shade. You actually don't need flash at all in these. In fact it will tend to just "flatten" the light. Don't use your flash in this situation. Now shot 3 is different. Your subject is somewhat backlit from the sun so exposing for her skintone on her face might be more difficult..so direct on camera flash is suitable to balance out the light (set it at -3EV TTL, no need to use the diffuser thing). This is called fill flash. You use it in direct or dappled sunlight to lift shadows on your subject. It worked out well in this shot and it is your strongest shot.

The last image...no! just doesn't work.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2013
    Thanks all! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, so hopefully I can get her back over soon so that I can put your advice into action.
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2013
    I Like the two last pictures , with the last one a bit less bright.

1 and 2, are less because of the arm pitt . In the first one the arm and arm pitt are overwhelming the picture. The second one, is very nice, but again the arm pitt and truncated hands and fingers make it less appealing. The model is great.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer