Options

hot and humid

jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
edited July 19, 2013 in People
I apologize for posting in this thread, but I really couldn't find a more appropriate location. Feel free to move it if necessary. I just need opinions, please.

I have a shoot at a grad party tonight. It's outdoors and the weather will be 95 and extremely humid. My home has a/c, thankfully, so my gear will be traveling from 70 degrees low humidity into basically a humid oven when I go outside. I have never shot in this weather so I don't know if there's anything I need to be worried about with regard to condensation, or if there are any precautions I should take.

Anyone have thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    I remember last year I was on a cruise and my camera/lense would fog up every time i brought it out from my ac'ed cabin. I would just bring it out and let it adjust for about a 20 minutes before turning on. I heard keeping your camera/lense in a air tight bag when stored would help. when in situations like so. Im assuming the time it takes from your place to the shoot location should be enough to adjust to tempature.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I do bag everything it in the winter, before I bring it back inside. If I just need to let it acclimate, that's no problem. I was worried about condensation. Two bodies plus four lenses (yes I always bring it all:) is a lot to bag if I don't have to.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    If you area is fairly air conditioned you have to gradually acclimate your camera to the outside in small steps. Put it in a room close to the garage and close a door so it iisn't quite ac'ed. Then out to the garage etc.

Or you can hit it with a hair dryer to warm up the lens and body before you go outside.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2013
    Will do. I have a small bedroom that is used mainly for storage, that has the vent closed. I'll park it there for a few hours before I take it out.

Thanks
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    Inside, put your lens/camera in a sealed plastic bag with as little air as possible. Then let it warm up to
    outside temperature before removing from the bag. Set bag in direct sunlight if possible. Moisture condenses
    on cold objects.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2013
    Thanks, Allen. I just wasn't sure if 70 degrees counted as "cold" in this situation.