What to charge

Candidshot56Candidshot56 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 24, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
I am a and portrait, rock band and fine art photographer. Recently I was asked to shoot inside a nursing home candid photos of the building and the residents. This may take over several days to do. As I am not use to shooting in this type of situation although I have shot weddings and events I am at a lost as to what to charge I assume each day should take no more than 4 hours, plus travel to and back. Any insight will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

Comments

• mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2013
    I am a and portrait, rock band and fine art photographer. Recently I was asked to shoot inside a nursing home candid photos of the building and the residents. This may take over several days to do. As I am not use to shooting in this type of situation although I have shot weddings and events I am at a lost as to what to charge I assume each day should take no more than 4 hours, plus travel to and back. Any insight will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rick

I moved this over to the "Mind Your Own Business" Forum.

Well this is the age old question, that really has no right or wrong answer.

Usually for these types of jobs, I would charge $150 per hour on site, and deliver all "good" photos to the client to use as they wish.

What is a "good" photo? Sharp, in focus, and not repetitive. If I take 5 photos of the same guy in succession, I will just pick the best out of the 5.

Again this is just my rate. I have no problem telling people who ask how much I would charge, but I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where prices are much higher.
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I moved this over to the "Mind Your Own Business" Forum.

Well this is the age old question, that really has no right or wrong answer.

Usually for these types of jobs, I would charge $150 per hour on site, and deliver all "good" photos to the client to use as they wish.

What is a "good" photo? Sharp, in focus, and not repetitive. If I take 5 photos of the same guy in succession, I will just pick the best out of the 5.

Again this is just my rate. I have no problem telling people who ask how much I would charge, but I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where prices are much higher.

Right. Figure out what you need to make hourly and go from there. I try to be around $200/hr. All depends on where you are. Looks like you are in NY so you should be able to get a good amount.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com