Monitor Contrast Check - Lightroom

d1v1dd1v1d Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 24, 2013 in Finishing School
Would appreciate a pointer on how to calibrate my monitor for Lightroom - it's a widescreen Dell digital monitor. I often make minor contrast adjustments in Lightroom for scanned film shots. Logging in on my laptop, it looks like contrast may be a bit too strong. Is there a good way to calibrate contrast so viewers don't see overly contrasty images?

Comments

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    welcome to the forum , d1v1d

before i bought Spyder is used THIS PAGE for tuning the monitor

use it on both screens and it should be reasonable correct
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 23, 2013
    Is the screen on you laptop calibrated? You cannot evaluate how your desktop monitor is by looking at an un-calibrated lap top screen. Is your laptop a matte screen, or a high glossy screen?

A better way to judge is if good prints match your calibrated desk top monitor, after calibration with a good colorimeter, like the i1D2 or the Spyder, on Colormonkee.

You have no control how other folks monitors are adjusted, unless they have carefully calibrated their monitors as well.

Are you using a calibration tool/colorimeter to calibrate your desktop monitor?

Many computer monitors are designed to be quite contrasty, as that catches the eye of viewers, and helps generate sales of the computers.

Good calibrated monitors tend to look a bit flat, more like matte paper, say, that highly saturated high contrast computer game monitors.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
    d1v1d wrote: »
    Would appreciate a pointer on how to calibrate my monitor for Lightroom - it's a widescreen Dell digital monitor. I often make minor contrast adjustments in Lightroom for scanned film shots. Logging in on my laptop, it looks like contrast may be a bit too strong. Is there a good way to calibrate contrast so viewers don't see overly contrasty images?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/