Options

Unveiling the new SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    esheatoesheato Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2013
    I'm excited to see the new site. I understand growing pains, so no worries from me.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
  • Options
    starsong1966starsong1966 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    Wow!
    shniks wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. I am really worried that this transition will ruin my website. I spent so much time customizing the look and feel and get compliments all the time on it. I hope they have an option for those of us with heavy customizations to continue using that. I can't imagine starting all over again and rebuilding my site.

Cheers,

Nikhil, your site is very nice indeed!mwink.gif Excellent and very captivating photography! :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    TalkieT wrote: »
    I'm getting ever more nervous about the obvious avoidance of answering the question about effect on customisations.

So simple to defuse, but they choose not to.

Ouch

N
    Talkie, I've known you a long time. Go read the other threads and see this is NOT a problem you should be worried about. And relax. Then enjoy the awesome, on your own schedule. (pronounced "shedule") :D:D:D
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Well, today's the day.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Nikhil, your site is very nice indeed!mwink.gif Excellent and very captivating photography! :D

Thanks Connie. How're you doing? :D My issue now is that I might need to switch to another hosting site (livebooks, squarespace etc.) given that I believe SM will not allow customization in the new form. It's a bummer as I spent so much time on my site (including color matching etc.) and having my business cards printed to reflect my site logo and colors.

On the positive side, I have a little time to shop around and make the move to another hosting site. It's been a good run with SM, now it's time to bid adieu. ne_nau.gif

Have a good one,
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    This is what i've been waiting for. Hats off to Baldy & the crew. Job well done!
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I am very pleased. Good job guys.

This may sound corny.... But this is my take. Everything looks and feels new, yet somehow feels so familiar and comfortable.
    Duke
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    One question - is there a good way for built in blog support? That is the one thing I haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    GeorgespyrosGeorgespyros Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Hello,

i saw the presentation, it was exactly (almost) what i was looking for. In fact i had already contacted various web designers to get a similar look to my site, but smugmug really got there first.

Is there a list of changes? one by one?

One of the biggest things still missing, for me, is package price for digital downloads. This is a life saviour for me.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    I watched the presentation too, nice upgrades, if you can find them, which I can't. Hit the migrate / preview button....still no new site.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    absolutely nothing on my screen
    I'm sure it'll sort it'self out in some way ne_nau.gif but when I go to my smugmug site there is nothing visible. I can see the source code but nothing, nada... zilch.. I'm not bothered, it'll come back... right???eek7.gif

lynn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    lynnma wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll sort it'self out in some way ne_nau.gif but when I go to my smugmug site there is nothing visible. I can see the source code but nothing, nada... zilch.. I'm not bothered, it'll come back... right???eek7.gif

lynn.smugmug.com
    there.. you see??? it's back .. phew! that was weird. clap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    lynnma wrote: »
    there.. you see??? it's back .. phew! that was weird. clap.gifclap

Still scares the crap out of you when that happens. I know it did me.

My site has done a few weird things today, but show the new one, isn't one of them.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited July 30, 2013
    Trying to get into my account settings returns "Forbidden" headscratch.gif And obviously, I'm logged in to be able to get to that command, so I have no clue to what's going on.

EDIT: Its back. I guess the entire site was down for maintenance a few minutes ago.

EDIT2: It did it again. SM is down.

Up again.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Thanks smugmug for the new features. Great work.
    My site is renew just written a few steps.
    http://jchmportafolio.infoinnova.net

What I miss is to put put some javascript for customizations.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk 4
  • Options
    jxnpxjxnpx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2013
    Very excited for these changes!

I hit the migrate button which says it will be 1-2 minutes. Almost 2 hours later, still no preview. Anyone else having issues?

Also noticing that my basic Chrome popup blocker extension is blocking people's galleries when I visit example sites. :-/
  • Options
    Dayv27Dayv27 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Made the switch.
    What the heck. I like it. I'm not one who likes change, and I liked the "old" smugmug. But after about two hours of playing around with the new stuff, I kicked it live. I can still see places that I'm going to have to touch up.

The only "how do I" that really is getting me is I'd like to be able to create a link to an individual page that lists all top level folders instead of having it at the top or in my case, bottom of the home page. Any help there?

www.umlautphotography.com
    My wife says if I buy one more lens she's going to leave me. I'm sure going to miss her.

www.umlautphotography.com
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    jxnpx wrote: »
    Very excited for these changes!

I hit the migrate button which says it will be 1-2 minutes. Almost 2 hours later, still no preview. Anyone else having issues?
    :-/

Same here, except it has been "just" 45 minutes for me. I'm still seeing this:
    "This usually just takes a minute or two, but it could take longer. This page will automatically refresh when we're finished, but feel free to browse to other web pages and come back later. We'll also notify you via email when we're done."
    I have no idea how far along the migration is. Too bad there wasn't a progress bar or percentage counter or something... ne_nau.gif
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Same here, except it has been "just" 45 minutes for me. I'm still seeing this:

I have no idea how far along the migration is. Too bad there wasn't a progress bar or percentage counter or something... ne_nau.gif

I did mine over 4 hours ago, it's still the same old site. rolleyes1.gif

I think there's a whole lot more going on behind the scenes than we could even imagine.
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    It makes me wonder if they probably should have done a more gradual roll-out, like... <*gasp/cringe*> :uhoh Facebook has done in the past?
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    It makes me wonder if they probably should have done a more gradual roll-out, like... <*gasp/cringe*> :uhoh Facebook has done in the past?

I mentioned that in another thread, but more like from pro accounts on down....and not just open the flood gates.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I set aside tonight to migrate my site... still waiting it's been over an hour...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    jxnpxjxnpx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2013
    For those who have successfully migrated, whats the URL for your preview sandbox? I feel like my migration should be complete after three hours, but no clue how to preview my new site. Thx!
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Im very happy with the changes, updated my site today and very easy process, a little headache figuring out html pages but once I saw the option to create a page it was a done deal. So happy with the new look and easy customization now!!! Amazing update you guys gave us.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    VacuBlasterVacuBlaster Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2013
    What new SmugMug, I've been trying for 6 hours now and still no new site and no responses from the Smug Heroes either. The only thing I have seen of the new site is the Rounding Up Your Stuff page. So far this is hopeless and the fact that not even a response from the help team is not good at all.

What is going on?????

VB
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    What is going on?????
    There's about a million people (well, not really, but you get my meaning) all trying this at the same time. I migrated my site this afternoon, shortly after the announcement, and it took about 3 minutes.

Here's a post from Zac in another thread about migration times:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1883174&postcount=15
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    A reply from the Smug Heroes at last apologising for the delay and telling me to wait until tomorrow as they weren't expecting that there would be such a delay for some people. What ever happened to 'User Testing', perhaps if they had done a proper gradual rollout instead of the big fanfare that has obviously fallen silent for many people, we would be up and running now.

NOT impressed SmugMug, not at all.

VB
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    There's about a million people (well, not really, but you get my meaning) all trying this at the same time. I migrated my site this afternoon, shortly after the announcement, and it took about 3 minutes.

Here's a post from Zac in another thread about migration times:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1883174&postcount=15

Well that's a consequence of the big fanfare style rollout, I would have hoped that they expected this and were ready for it? Didn't they realise that everyone would want to try it out straight away?

VB
  • Options
    KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    No issues with migrating here. All in all excellent stuff guys!