Options

Rainy boots

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited July 26, 2013 in People
Again experimenting with flash and stupidity. I haven't taken any pictures in a while, so I really wanted to get some today...but it rained all day. What the heck, I love rain, and I don't melt, so I set out to find some cool shots. I came across a little stream, and thought it would be perfect. I had one flash on camera turned down to barley act as a fill, and another at camera left right next to me just to bring up the rain drops.

Trying to focus and frame on open water and then run out there and stand in that spot with the timer going can be interesting.
i-5B9TFmf-L.jpg

i-ccZ4gWR-L.jpg

However, to make things more interesting, not only was it raining on my camera (and I didn't have a proper rain cover so the lens was fully exposed to the cats and dogs...) but the tripod began to sink into the sand...and I began to notice that the water was rising about 2in per minute...no time to be precise, no time to adjust flash setting or positions, and no time to mess with a sinking tripod and re-frame...
i-GQv6zSZ-L.jpg

i-5jDzHgg-L.jpg

Given the limitations on time to adjust things, what do you guys think? I prefer the two with me to the side rather than the middle.

Thanks!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    For me 2 is the best, because of the subtile light and the composition (1/3). Could be a nice commercial shot. Well done.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    I like the last one.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    All I can think of is there is no way I am going to set my camera and flashes down in the rain to take anything except once in a lifetime shots. I can't afford to be frying my gear. :D

But I do have a rain coat for my camera that I pack if the weather looks iffy.

Sam
  • Options
    Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    I'm torn between those same two as well. I like the added drama of having the camera tilted as it sank into the sand and the heavier rain of that last one.

Sam, the off camera flash was sealed inside a new ziplock bag, and I had a 1gal bag over the on camera flash which also covered the camera body. I'm shooting a 5D MKII with the 70-200L for these, so the lens and body are also weather sealed. Not that I blindly let it get wet, but most of what I do is adventure/travel photography, so this isn't exactly the first time my gear has been rained upon.

Clark
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    I'm torn between those same two as well. I like the added drama of having the camera tilted as it sank into the sand and the heavier rain of that last one.

Sam, the off camera flash was sealed inside a new ziplock bag, and I had a 1gal bag over the on camera flash which also covered the camera body. I'm shooting a 5D MKII with the 70-200L for these, so the lens and body are also weather sealed. Not that I blindly let it get wet, but most of what I do is adventure/travel photography, so this isn't exactly the first time my gear has been rained upon.

Clark

Good to know you took some precautions. Still I would not call the 5D II or the 70-200 L weather sealed but water resistant which is very different. Water can definitely enter the camera's interior via the camera / lens interface, as well as through buttons, battery door, and CF card door.

Keeping the camera w/lens under your jacket and or with a rain jacket should be sufficient in a light rain or drizzle but I wouldn't just carry it in the open while walking in the rain.

Then again I may just be paranoid. :D

Also good to know you haven't had any issues.

Sam