Options

How about sharing what's not going to be supported any longer?

Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited August 2, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
For many years now smugmug has been the best at customer service, but simply blindsiding a bunch of us by no longer supporting certain features without notice leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I wake up one morning to dozens of emails from clients asking what happened to my slideshows on my website.

You emailed and plastered this upcoming "unveiling" everywhere, why not a simple email saying that after 10 years, you're no longing supporting the old flash slideshow?

I've become accustomed to not getting update notices about new things coming from smugmug, but come on, this was just plain wrong to simply abandon a platform without so much as an email saying that it was ending.
Steve

Website

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    How about reading the posts by Baldy (which I also echoed)? :D
    I think you'll be happy.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    You emailed and plastered this upcoming "unveiling" everywhere, why not a simple email saying that after 10 years, you're no longing supporting the old flash slideshow?
    The fix to the slideshow has been on the help page for quite awhile, most didn't realize that the gallery
    key was needed until I guess they finally tightened up the security recently.

Smugmug needs to put out a notice when a help page has a code change so anyone using it can update their code.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    How about reading the posts by Baldy (which I also echoed)? :D
    I think you'll be happy.

That would be fine for those who have regular time to spend on the forum. Other notices get blasted everywhere, including emails and facebook. From all the posts regarding this it seems that a lot were unaware of the change. Smugmug has a lot of customers who don't use this forum.

In more than 6 years of being a customer I've only had two complaints and the good folks here have helped solved those complaints.

Thank you Allen for posting the way to fix this.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    From all the posts regarding this it seems that a lot were unaware of the change
    You didn't get an email? Everyone was emailed afaik.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    IFrames are no longer supported. So if you embed pages from elsewhere on your site, you'll need to find a workaround. This is a pain for me as I use this for a decent contact form
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I am not getting any emails about the new smugmug, also where can the post by baldy be found?

i really don't want to change anything on my smugmug pages, i worked a ton to get it where it is, and it works extremely well for me.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    holzphoto wrote: »
    I am not getting any emails about the new smugmug, also where can the post by baldy be found?

i really don't want to change anything on my smugmug pages, i worked a ton to get it where it is, and it works extremely well for me.

http://news.smugmug.com and if you don't go there, try Facebook, the rest of this forum.

Oh and check your email addy on SM or your Spam folder. If you didn't get the email I seriously doubt it's SM's fault.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    http://news.smugmug.com and if you don't go there, try Facebook, the rest of this forum.

Oh and check your email addy on SM or your Spam folder. If you didn't get the email I seriously doubt it's SM's fault.

Do you think it's SM's fault that we can't see the new site? I have a feeling the servers took a huge hit. Any idea when those of us that tried to migrate/preview but got nowhere will be able to do so?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Jeffro wrote: »
    Do you think it's SM's fault that we can't see the new site? I have a feeling the servers took a huge hit. Any idea when those of us that tried to migrate/preview but got nowhere will be able to do so?

wave.gif Jeffro

I'm not privy. Email the heroes.
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I haven't had any issues any time I've been on today.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    i am worried about smugmug, my gut is telling me to start downloading my images because they will not survive.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I haven't had any issues any time I've been on today.

You were luckier than me. All seems to be fine now, but so far I'm not sure I like my new home page better than my old home page....time will tell.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    dmacccadmaccca Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    wave.gif Jeffro

I'm not privy. Email the heroes.

Tried to email them yesterday as I was needing some immediate help. Finally got a response two hours later with just a stock answer to go check some help documents. Then emailed them back and didn't get another response till 5 hours later. If they are going to be getting a lot more involved with new changes and features, people are going to need more immediate customer service. This email only customer service thing was probably great when SM was a lot more simple to use.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    You were luckier than me. All seems to be fine now, but so far I'm not sure I like my new home page better than my old home page....time will tell.

I got my homepage to look pretty similar to the legacy page. Sure it needs tweaking, but I like it so far.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    dmaccca wrote: »
    Tried to email them yesterday as I was needing some immediate help. Finally got a response two hours later with just a stock answer to go check some help documents. Then emailed them back and didn't get another response till 5 hours later. If they are going to be getting a lot more involved with new changes and features, people are going to need more immediate customer service. This email only customer service thing was probably great when SM was a lot more simple to use.

What was the big rush? It's not like you HAD to unveil yesterday so your site is still as it was and you have time to set it up.

I'm pretty sure they were swamped and a little patience would go a long way. IMO
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    dmacccadmaccca Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    What was the big rush? It's not like you HAD to unveil yesterday so your site is still as it was and you have time to set it up.

I'm pretty sure they were swamped and a little patience would go a long way. IMO

Seriously, do people not forget that we are the paying customers and not the other way around? Paying for a service and needed customer support and it wasn't there. Very simple. If it were a free service I could understand completely and be very patient. I'd have patience with the fact that they are doing a major launch of something and they might be busy. However, I'm paying a good chunk of money for the service and expect customer service when needed. If they had prepared better, they would have had extra customer service people ready and waiting for questions and support.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    dmaccca wrote: »
    Seriously, do people not forget that we are the paying customers and not the other way around? Paying for a service and needed customer support and it wasn't there. Very simple. If it were a free service I could understand completely and be very patient. I'd have patience with the fact that they are doing a major launch of something and they might be busy. However, I'm paying a good chunk of money for the service and expect customer service when needed. If they had prepared better, they would have had extra customer service people ready and waiting for questions and support.
    Seriously, yes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your legacy site right now. It still looks and functions the same way. What I was referring to was the customer service question. And a big hunk of change huh. By my public education math, that is about $25 dollars a month you are paying. I'm sure you make that in less than an hour of photography work.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    You didn't get an email? Everyone was emailed afaik.

Andy I didn't get an email. Could you tell me when it was sent. I'll check my spam folder and see if it's there.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited August 1, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Andy I didn't get an email. Could you tell me when it was sent. I'll check my spam folder and see if it's there.

I received 2 - E-Mails relating to The New SmugMug:

Title: "Unveiling the New SmugMug"
    Date: Tue, Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Title: "The New SmugMug is Here"
    Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Depending upon your e-mail configuration, it's possible that the earlier e-mail may have already been purged from your spam folder (if you auto-delete spam older than 7 days).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    coastphotocoastphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013

The big rush was that my site was not like it was before the change, all my subcategory links were broken. When logged in they worked, but if you were logged in, the link went straight to the other category, not the subcategory. sent an email to support - Who just 2 days before were helpful right away with another inssue, (they even told me to bookmark their address in case i needed to get them again) After no response in 4 hours, and customers calling trying to find their missing gallereies, i was forced to hit the botton to convert and unveil the new site. spent the rest of the day trying to make it resemble something reasonable.

But that was not how i planned to spend my day - redesigning a perfectly good website.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    coastphoto wrote: »
    The big rush was that my site was not like it was before the change, all my subcategory links were broken. When logged in they worked, but if you were logged in, the link went straight to the other category, not the subcategory. sent an email to support - Who just 2 days before were helpful right away with another inssue, (they even told me to bookmark their address in case i needed to get them again) After no response in 4 hours, and customers calling trying to find their missing gallereies, i was forced to hit the botton to convert and unveil the new site. spent the rest of the day trying to make it resemble something reasonable.

But that was not how i planned to spend my day - redesigning a perfectly good website.

I guess I was a lucky one because I have encountered one issue that wasn't caused by me. wings.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I received 2 - E-Mails relating to The New SmugMug:

Title: "Unveiling the New SmugMug"
    Date: Tue, Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Title: "The New SmugMug is Here"
    Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Depending upon your e-mail configuration, it's possible that the earlier e-mail may have already been purged from your spam folder (if you auto-delete spam older than 7 days).

I did receive those emails and if it stated in those that the old slide show was not being supported anymore I missed it while reading them. My apologies. It was an easy fix with the help desk, but I did try to fix it through here (different thread) and that was complex.

The new smug looks wonderful and when I have time to sit and play with it I'm hoping to move over to it. Think I'll wait till things settle down some :D

Thanks Ziggy thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013

I don't work for SmugMug. But my wife has a site, and she got the email. And EVERY SINGLE person I know personally got the email. Check your spam, and check your email settings.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I don't work for SmugMug. But my wife has a site, and she got the email. And EVERY SINGLE person I know personally got the email. Check your spam, and check your email settings.

I know you don't work for smug. I checked my spam and from July 1 to today (all that's there) and there isn't a smugmug email in it. If it came out before that I don't know.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I know you don't work for smug. I checked my spam and from July 1 to today (all that's there) and there isn't a smugmug email in it. If it came out before that I don't know.

But wait.. in your prior reply you said you did receive the emails :D I'm confuzzled .......
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013

Yes Andy I did say I received the emails about the 'new smug' and I did apologize if I missed any reference to the slideshow changing.

I didn't get an email saying the slideshow I was using wasn't being supported anymore and if I didn't change it - it would come up blank asking to 'log in'. Doesn't matter Andy .. it's fixed now. I just wish I had gotten an email letting me know instead of phone calls from people. As I said .. if missed reading about this in the emails sent out about the 'new smug' I apologize.

In the original posting this was mentioned and this is what I'm referring too.

I wake up one morning to dozens of emails from clients asking what happened to my slideshows on my website.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Yes Andy I did say I received the emails about the 'new smug' and I did apologize if I missed any reference to the slideshow changing.

Hey, sorry - I didn't mean to imply anything - I see that you got the "new announcement" email wave.gif