Options

My first post ever. I would love to have some feedback

dragonfly923dragonfly923 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 30, 2013 in People
I have never posted any of my pictures on a forum before, I would love to get some feedback.

I recently got my first DSLR(Nikon 3200) and I am still learning. I was big into photography in high school, but back then I only used 35mm with my Nikon FM. Life caught up to me and kind of took over for a while. I have now gotten back into the swing of things, but wouldn't you know it when I start to have a bit of fun my Minolta 7000 Maxxuum would finally decide it was time to give up on me(hence the new cam).

So here I am asking for some advice on how I can make my shots better. Please help!

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2013
    more cooperation and a better background headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    First off, welcome tothe forum. You will find that this is a great place to get feedback on your photography.

Now with respect to your photo, I find that photos like this often evoke an emotional response in people who know the subject, but leave people who do not know the person depicted scratching their heads. Perhaps if you let us know what it was you were trying to accomplish with this photo we could offer useful pointers. Who is the person? How did you set the shot up and why? What are you trying to convey with this image? It was once said that: "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail." Let's talk through the process and see if we can't get you to where you want to be.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Welcome and keep posting, it's the only way to improve. Just remember CC is just an opinion so listen with a thick skin.

Two of the most important items, exposure and color you've got spot on for my eye so a big congrats on that. You can have the best of everything else but if those two are off you're in trouble. You photo to me does not have visual impact as there are too many things happening, ie.....his hand blocking his face, the cup and spoon, the sky, the brick wall, the grass, the tree, the house. Ones eye bounces all over the photo and never settles in to the main focal point (unless its the hand). If so not sure what you're trying to say.

Do a few searches on Youtube for lighting, composition, and whatever else you might be wondering about. There is a wealth of information there but remember it is just someones point of view and we all differ on that.

Keep posting.