Options

Customer Support

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Eventually, experience will teach you that no vendor is perfect. All of them have quirks, faults, and lame stuff. Your job as a professional photographer providing goods and services to your customer is to navigate this swampland of inefficiency and frustration so that the customer does not have to.

A simple problem for me may be a big problem for the vendor. It might just be that the vendor doesn't want to provide a certain product or service too. I know I am that way. I don't do video. And no amount of complaining or other carrying on will make me do it. I have my reasons for it, but someone who is totally interested in video won't understand my reasons. Sure it is a simple thing to implement from the customers standpoint, but it just ain't gonna happen.

This is also why you need to grow. If you are doing this for real, then you need to have at least a pocketfull of vendors that can provide what you need. Some do X really well, some do Y, a few do X and Z, and there is that on great one that does an awesome Z. This is the challenge you face. Figuring out the who, what, where, when, and why of the vendor, product, and service landscape.

And it all begins with you taking responsibility for doing these things yourself. Which up until now, it sounds like you are trying to offload onto others. That is the shortcut to failure my man icon10.gif

No more "ya, but"s from you :-)

As Yoda might say, "Do, or do not...there is no ya, but's."

Shay, I appreciate your response and opinion, however...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 5, 2005
    What can you not understand this?
    Hey Glenn,

Very honestly and with much respect to your needs, we're not the service for everyone and don't try to be. There are many alternatives from great companies who do provide telephone support, give out customer's physical addresses, etc.

We don't offer phone support for the same reason Amazon doesn't: we'd have to raise our prices too much and we're focused on superb email support.

In fairness to everyone, and especially to our other pros, we can't let one of our most valuable resources get drawn into endless debate with a customer after it becomes apparent we're not the solution for them.

We have to draw the support line somewhere and I've asked Andy to focus his time on the pros we can satisfy.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    What if this thread started this way?
    Andy, You obviously are having trouble following the trouble here. No where have I said anything about colors or anything else. I did not realize that by asking questions on this forum that it was being tallied up in order to provide excuses later.

Again, THE ONLY trouble I have had are 1) Shopping cart back button, 2) No address information on customers, 3) No order information on customers other than an order number and the photos they ordered.

And for the refund, the problem is that i'm leaving town in the morning and won't be back for a month. I can't have my site down that long while I looked for other services.

I honestly am blown away at what an arguement is being put up over something so silly.
    Glen and others. Imagine for a second a very different path this thread could have taken. What if Glen's first message sounded like this:

[Imaginary First Posting by Glen in this Thread]

I got a request today from two different customers to help me figure out when their packages would arrive. Though I know they probably recieved information about this in an email, apparently they didn't remember that or didn't know what to do with it or didn't keep it and they were calling me to ask for my help. Since I think of them as my customers and have built a relationship with them, I really wanted to help them as quickly as I could. At first I didn't know how to help them get that information. I looked, but couldn't find the info anywhere in my control panel. After asking smugmug via an email, they were able to help me answer the questions for my customers and, though it took longer than I wanted, I was able to get back to my customers and answer their questions.

So ... now the feature request part of this posting. Though we did eventually get the answer for my customers, there were a number of things that could have gone a lot smoother and could have made the user experience that much better.

First, apparently my customers did not understand the confirmation email they received and did not realize that it provided an ability to track their packages. I haven't studied that email in detail to offer specific suggestions, but apparently it didn't work as intended for these customers.

Second, when my customers did contact me, it took much longer than any of us would have liked to answer their question. They were calling on the phone and I was unable to answer them via the phone because I had no electronic connection to any of the information. Instead, I had to take their issue, do some research and then contact them later when I got the answer. I would like to be able to offer more timely customer service than that. Also, since my customers have a relationship with me, they wanted to get this information from me, not from some other company that they didn't have a relationship with.

Third, this was a fairly time consuming process to get this information for my customers. Not only did it cost my customers time, but it cost me a bunch of time and it cost smugmug some time helping me get this information on their behalf.

All of this seems like it could be improved a lot if smugmug thinks about ways of improving items 1), 2) and 3). Item 1) is about rethinking how this email works and what it is and isn't effectively communicating. Since my customers were confused or didn't understand how to solve their own problem from the contents of this email, there are probably others also having the same problem and I would be surprised if that doesn't show up in smugmug's own support calls.

Items 2) and 3) can really only be improved by offering me some sort of online access to the information that my customers are asking about. I realize that that might be some significant development work, but I did want to explain why the current situation is less than ideal. Since I'm in a customer and relationship business, I wanted to take the time to describe this issue that is keeping me from offering as great a customer experience as I'd like to. I hope you understand why I'm asking for this and please let me know if you have any questions about this request.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    John, great post - and thanks for taking the time to make it! I'm just going to answer a few things inline - addressed to all in general rather than you in specific.
    jfriend wrote:
    So ... now the feature request part of this posting. Though we did eventually get the answer for my customers, there were a number of things that could have gone a lot smoother and could have made the user experience that much better.

First, apparently my customers did not understand the confirmation email they received and did not realize that it provided an ability to track their packages. I haven't studied that email in detail to offer specific suggestions, but apparently it didn't work as intended for these customers.

No doubt we could improve the order conf emails - and we're looking at that now. Not promising how & when but it's very important to us, and we know how important it is to our customers!

It's trackable by them if they choose 2nd day or Next day. We need to do a better job at saying in the email that they can go to fedex.com and plug in the tracking number, or give them a clickable link that also contains the tracking number - we're investigating both. The email clearly does tell them to email us if they have any questions at all.
    jfriend wrote:

Second, when my customers did contact me, it took much longer than any of us would have liked to answer their question. They were calling on the phone and I was unable to answer them via the phone because I had no electronic connection to any of the information. Instead, I had to take their issue, do some research and then contact them later when I got the answer. I would like to be able to offer more timely customer service than that. Also, since my customers have a relationship with me, they wanted to get this information from me, not from some other company that they didn't have a relationship with.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Expanded, customized help pages on your site, telling your customers to email help@smugmug.com and they'll answer any questions they might have. In your thank you note that you email to your customers - why not include the same thing? Most of our pros have this down pat - they'd rather be shooting than dealing with "when's my order coming."
    jfriend wrote:
    Third, this was a fairly time consuming process to get this information for my customers. Not only did it cost my customers time, but it cost me a bunch of time and it cost smugmug some time helping me get this information on their behalf.
    SmugMug is totally geared and ready to get your customer's queries, even mundane ones like "I placed my Economy order two days ago, and I don't have it yet, where is it????" Better to let SmugMug help deal with it and keep everyone happy, and you shooting more.
    jfriend wrote:

All of this seems like it could be improved a lot if smugmug thinks about ways of improving items 1), 2) and 3). Item 1) is about rethinking how this email works and what it is and isn't effectively communicating. Since my customers were confused or didn't understand how to solve their own problem from the contents of this email, there are probably others also having the same problem and I would be surprised if that doesn't show up in smugmug's own support calls.

Items 2) and 3) can really only be improved by offering me some sort of online access to the information that my customers are asking about. I realize that that might be some significant development work, but I did want to explain why the current situation is less than ideal. Since I'm in a customer and relationship business, I wanted to take the time to describe this issue that is keeping me from offering as great a customer experience as I'd like to. I hope you understand why I'm asking for this and please let me know if you have any questions about this request.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    :uhoh Ok...so I may be in way over my head here but im gonna chime in. I agree with the initial poster and it would be great to see these things. But the thing is smugmug is essentially the middle man. You know what I mean? They do all the processing and such. The reason I signed up here is becuase I dont want to do it on my own. But I do like the idea someone posted about hyperlinked tracking info in the emails and also maybe telling the customers more directly that express shipping isnt trackable.

Im out for now.. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    :uhoh Ok...so I may be in way over my head here but im gonna chime in. I agree with the initial poster and it would be great to see these things. But the thing is smugmug is essentially the middle man. You know what I mean? They do all the processing and such. The reason I signed up here is becuase I dont want to do it on my own. But I do like the idea someone posted about hyperlinked tracking info in the emails and also maybe telling the customers more directly that express shipping isnt trackable.

That was far too nice. Say hello to my little friend!!! :gun2
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:

wave.gif Hi CW - thanks for the great feedback - we really appreciate it.
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    personally, my customers understand that i don't handle the orders, smugmug does. they know that i don't handle their credit card, print their pictures, or ship them. i haven't had any problems at all.

in regard to the issues at hand, smugmug is a very reasonable company and they know what they're doing. they know the problems and are working on what they can. i love to see smugmug's support staff responding to these issues on the forum and how dedicated they are to our problems. thanks smugmug!

i hope this was somehow useful.

and glen, i don't know where you can find a better service than smugmug, but i wish you luck in finding one.