B&W COUPLE help please.....

ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited December 6, 2005 in People
Hey, I am having trouble with this conversion to black and white. It is under exposed a little. Can anyone help this picture. And should I post the original?

Comments

• ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    I also have this one but this is facing the other direction.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    How are you converting to b&w?
    edited December 5, 2005
    How are you converting to b&w?

Image\mode\grayscale and then I went into curves and played around a bit.
    edited December 5, 2005
    Ok,first of all grayscale is one of the worst methods for b&w.
    What software are you using?
    edited December 5, 2005
    Ok,first of all grayscale is one of the worst methods for b&w.
    What software are you using?

Photoshop 7 So how should I convert it? I know I could use the brush tool and then chande it to saturate and I did but, it looked the same. Maybe I was doing it wrong. ne_nau.gif Apperantly I am doing something wrong. rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 5, 2005
    I would look here for some tips.I like using channel mixer myself.
    edited December 5, 2005
    I would look here for some tips.I like using channel mixer myself.
    Thanks you so much John...WOW I never knew about the channel mixer and it is awesome. Ok this is my first revision what do you think?
    edited December 5, 2005
    Looking much betterthumb.gif
    Try cranking it up a notch with selectice color layer.Use black.white & neutral up or down and some cruve adjustments.
    edited December 5, 2005
    ok, I am starting to go cross eyed :wow ha ha

this one is a little warmer toned but I am still struggling with grain. I am sure it's just b/c of the exposer. It was freezing up there and she didn't give me but a few minutes up there. I wish I would have gone up there first and metered everything. Lesson well learned.

Thanks again.
    edited December 5, 2005
    that looks worse on drgin that it did in photoshop....:cry Back to the drawing boards....
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Hey Shannon, here's my try on this one.

47249753-M.jpg

It seems to me, that your picture was nicely exposed for the grooms white jacket, leaving the faces rather under exposed, especially the groom's.

I tried to brighten his face by selecting it and putting on it's own layer. I used a curves adjustment to lighten it a bit.

After that, I used a Kevin Kobuta action for the BW conversion and added a little grain. The background did nothing for me, so I cropped to this square format.

They look like a fun couple (and a beautiful bride), I hope you enjoyed the wedding.
    edited December 5, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Hey Shannon, here's my try on this one.

47249753-M.jpg

I tried to brighten his face by selecting it and putting on it's own layer. I used a curves adjustment to lighten it a bit.

After that, I used a Kevin Kobuta action for the BW conversion and added a little grain. The background did nothing for me, so I cropped to this square format.
    WOWclap.gif You made this picture look amazing! See I need to learn more about PS What is a KEvin Kobuta action?

It seems to me, that your picture was nicely exposed for the grooms white jacket, leaving the faces rather under exposed, especially the groom's.

I didn't really slow down enough when we were outside not thinking to take different meter readings. So yes it did expose for his jacket. Thanks goodness I will be able to recover these.

They look like a fun couple (and a beautiful bride), I hope you enjoyed the wedding.

It was an awesome wedding! The band was great and everyone was dancing!Although the bride arrived 15 min before the ceremony started and the groom was 5 min. late for the ceremony and they were not dressed! :jawdrop
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Shannon, Kevin Kuboto's Photoshop actions can be found here. They are a collection of effects that you can use in your workflow. Quite expensive, but I've found them to be really good when I need to process a lot of files quickly.

Almost as good, and free, is a Photoshop plug-in called Virtual Photographer. Check it out here.

If you want to learn more about post processing, check out Scott Kelby's books as well as the digital darkroom forums here. Some of the folks here are very knowlegable, you will find a ton of good info.
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Shannon, Kevin Kuboto's Photoshop actions can be found here. They are a collection of effects that you can use in your workflow. Quite expensive, but I've found them to be really good when I need to process a lot of files quickly.

Almost as good, and free, is a Photoshop plug-in called Virtual Photographer. Check it out here.

If you want to learn more about post processing, check out Scott Kelby's books as well as the digital darkroom forums here. Some of the folks here are very knowlegable, you will find a ton of good info.

wow, learning a lot about B&W, which i use a lot for work, photographing hardware (yawn).

for my fun stuff, i found this site and am having success using these:

pixel genius
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff