Options

Deleting "Phto Sharing by SmuMug" footer in the New Design

2»

Comments

• Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    You CAN remove anything you want. SmugMug cannot tell you what not to remove from YOUR site as long as you are paying for it. Don't let anyone scare you. Here is the thread about removing all SM branding in New SmugMug: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237115
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Two things:

1.) Yeah, I think SmugMug should change the minimal blurb to say something like "professional photo proofing by SmugMug" for both of the top-level business accounts. That's a GREAT idea, and I'm sure the SmugMug team would be willing to implement something like that.

2.) Having said that, I WILL BUY YOU A FERRARI if you can prove that you've ever lost any customers or sales because of the whole "I can't have my customers seeing this" thing. I work at a wedding studio that shoots mostly $5,000-$15,000+ weddings, and we use SmugMug. It is utterly absurd to worry about this, you guys are just being OCD about miniscule visual details, and let's be honest, a little snooty too.

While we're being honest, let's just get this out: clearly this is just an issue of brand differentiation, the perception of prestige as a professional photographer, and the fact that you guys think SmugMug is a name that detracts from your professionalism, that you don't want your customers clicking away to an external site that caters to "un-professionals"... The hilarious thing is, Pictage does this but 1000x worse WRT the "leaving your personal page"thing. And yet Pictage is assumed to be one of the most professional solutions out there, just because they only cater to hard working pros.

I can tell you right now that if you're worried about standing out from the crowd, you're wasting your time with minor details like this. Every bit of energy you expend fussing about an issue like this, is energy you could invest in your current or future clients, or your craft as a photographer. In this day and age we can no longer succeed soley based on professional appearance and the fact that we only use professional services. The wedding album industry is a great example of something that, in my opinion, is ripe to implode as more companies start doing business directly with the masses. If you want to stand out and succeed as a professional, the ONLY remaining ways to do that are by delivering consistently creative, unique images, and personal service!

Use the CSS code if you absolutely must, but personally I'll proudly display a SmugMug link, especially if they adjust it to reflect the professional account status.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    You CAN remove anything you want. SmugMug cannot tell you what not to remove from YOUR site as long as you are paying for it. Don't let anyone scare you. Here is the thread about removing all SM branding in New SmugMug: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237115

Yeah, and they can't tell you not to use Javascript...

I think that's a little over the top. When you move into a hosting site of any sort, you agree to terms and conditions from the provider. Even if you use your own hardware, there's going to be rules from the ISP. Different rules, different places, but paying for "it" is not the same as complete control over "it".

I think they have a nice balance -- there's an obvious and documented way people can turn it off if they insist, they aren't (so far) taking that away, but they are saying you need to leave it. I for one compromised by showing their name but instead of just the phrase I turned it into a login/logout. Still branded, but more useful. And they let me do that.

But they didn't HAVE to.
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I for one compromised by showing their name but instead of just the phrase I turned it into a login/logout.

Yeah, I had that too, but then changed it a little bit so that the "SmugMug" text is still there, but I included my Referral code in the link for when someone clicks to check out SmugMug and may sign up. I figure, why not use it that way.

For the Login/Logout, I shortened it to just 2-3 letters ("In/Out") and made it a few lines below the SmugMug link, out of the way and blended close to the black background colour (dark grey) so it's not seen so easily by others.
    It's just for me anyway and I can mouseover the area to find it.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Without further investigation, I don't know whether it has something to do with how I've got my background pinned and/or the SmugMug plan I'm on (Power), but I'm not upset by the way the 'Powered by SmugMug' wording appears on my site.

Unless a visitor scrolls the background up (and as I do to log on, but which I don't want any visitor to do or even know about), the wording isn't visible at all on my home page, and is very tiny and faded on other pages!
  • Options
    DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Two things:

1.) Yeah, I think SmugMug should change the minimal blurb to say something like "professional photo proofing by SmugMug" for both of the top-level business accounts. That's a GREAT idea, and I'm sure the SmugMug team would be willing to implement something like that.

2.) Having said that, I WILL BUY YOU A FERRARI if you can prove that you've ever lost any customers or sales because of the whole "I can't have my customers seeing this" thing. I work at a wedding studio that shoots mostly $5,000-$15,000+ weddings, and we use SmugMug. It is utterly absurd to worry about this, you guys are just being OCD about miniscule visual details, and let's be honest, a little snooty too.

While we're being honest, let's just get this out: clearly this is just an issue of brand differentiation, the perception of prestige as a professional photographer, and the fact that you guys think SmugMug is a name that detracts from your professionalism, that you don't want your customers clicking away to an external site that caters to "un-professionals"... The hilarious thing is, Pictage does this but 1000x worse WRT the "leaving your personal page"thing. And yet Pictage is assumed to be one of the most professional solutions out there, just because they only cater to hard working pros.

I can tell you right now that if you're worried about standing out from the crowd, you're wasting your time with minor details like this. Every bit of energy you expend fussing about an issue like this, is energy you could invest in your current or future clients, or your craft as a photographer. In this day and age we can no longer succeed soley based on professional appearance and the fact that we only use professional services. The wedding album industry is a great example of something that, in my opinion, is ripe to implode as more companies start doing business directly with the masses. If you want to stand out and succeed as a professional, the ONLY remaining ways to do that are by delivering consistently creative, unique images, and personal service!

Use the CSS code if you absolutely must, but personally I'll proudly display a SmugMug link, especially if they adjust it to reflect the professional account status.

=Matt=

Wow. Thanks for telling me the real reasons why I don't want the "Powered by Smug" footer on my site. I've clearly been deluding myself for years as to why I don't want it. But, since I'm not a professional wedding photographer, I obviously don't have a clue about these matters anyway.

How's that for snooty?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Yeah, and they can't tell you not to use Javascript...

I think that's a little over the top. When you move into a hosting site of any sort, you agree to terms and conditions from the provider. Even if you use your own hardware, there's going to be rules from the ISP. Different rules, different places, but paying for "it" is not the same as complete control over "it".

I think they have a nice balance -- there's an obvious and documented way people can turn it off if they insist, they aren't (so far) taking that away, but they are saying you need to leave it. I for one compromised by showing their name but instead of just the phrase I turned it into a login/logout. Still branded, but more useful. And they let me do that.

But they didn't HAVE to.

I don't even know what to tell you:) You obviously have made all the conclusions already and set you mind to some direction you are comfortable with. I actually read the TOC along with everything that I was offered at the time I bought the service. The harassment from SM to force me to keep their footer intact - is an illegal action. If it is not a big deal for you - that's your right. You can bend and dance to whatever music SM plays for you- it's your life, your choice. If you really want to know what is going one, read my blog on this issue: http://www.michaelshapirophotography.com/Blog/Post20130209/. If you care to read and, perhaps, try to understand, you will see that even such a famous figure as Michael Bonocore admitted to hide the footer in a way he told me is not permitted. But, hey, if you are willing to compromise on your rights as a consumer - good luck for you:)
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    The harassment from SM to force me to keep their footer intact - is an illegal action.
    Really? HARRASSMENT from SmugMug - tell us about it, or is this another over-reaction?
    Thank heavens for some sanity and realism from Matthew Saville and others.
    Do you really think your customers throw their hands up in horror and go scurrying off to find another photographer, perhaps with a Zenfolio account, to take their photos?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Wow. Thanks for telling me the real reasons why I don't want the "Powered by Smug" footer on my site. I've clearly been deluding myself for years as to why I don't want it. But, since I'm not a professional wedding photographer, I obviously don't have a clue about these matters anyway.

How's that for snooty?

Yeah, a little snooty, I think you missed the point... The "reasons" don't matter, I just wanted other professionals to be honest about their reasons. If you're not a professional, then that whole paragraph about reasons simply doesn't apply to you.

Of course as a hobbyist my philosophy still applies with regards to energy expenditure. Instead of clients to please, you have your own personal life and adventures that you could be putting your energy into... So if you ask me, as a hobbyist you have it better than the pros!

Pro or amateur, I'm just trying to convince you to get on with your life and spend less time beating a dead horse on the internet. We have a CSS fix if we need it. So go out and take pictures!

=Matt=
  • Options
    DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Yeah, a little snooty, I think you missed the point... The "reasons" don't matter, I just wanted other professionals to be honest about their reasons. If you're not a professional, then that whole paragraph about reasons simply doesn't apply to you.

Of course as a hobbyist my philosophy still applies with regards to energy expenditure. Instead of clients to please, you have your own personal life and adventures that you could be putting your energy into... So if you ask me, as a hobbyist you have it better than the pros!

Pro or amateur, I'm just trying to convince you to get on with your life and spend less time beating a dead horse on the internet. We have a CSS fix if we need it. So go out and take pictures!

=Matt=

Thanks, Matt, for your level-headed response. You are fundamentally correct in your assertion.

I have become a bit sensitive to some of the posts I've come across lately here on Dgrin that seem to discount or dismiss the significance of other people's particular wants or needs for their Smugmug websites. Dgrin is, after all, the place to talk about that. But, I know that you are an earnest and well-intentioned poster on this forum and I apologize for my snide comment.

I think some of us (well, me, anyway) are just feeling a bit fried by the various bugs, changes, and uncertainty introduced in the new Smugmug release. Thanks again, Matt, for your reasoned reply.

(BTW, I didn't say I wasn't a professional photographer, I said I wasn't a professional wedding photographer. But I'll cop to still having it better than wedding pros! :D )
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    Really? HARRASSMENT from SmugMug - tell us about it, or is this another over-reaction?
    Thank heavens for some sanity and realism from Matthew Saville and others.
    Do you really think your customers throw their hands up in horror and go scurrying off to find another photographer, perhaps with a Zenfolio account, to take their photos?

Caroline

I was told -in writing - that removal of the footer advertising SmugMug is not allowed. It goes against advertised features of the product they sold me and against TOC. Is this good enough explanation of harassment? They kept telling the same thing to other clients. How about a car manufacturer for the vehicle you have sends you a letter informing you that you are allowed to drive only 10 miles per day?

But regardless of the above - why do you associate SmugMug footer issue with photography business? Do you relly think that only photographers use SmugMug? There are many other businesses, totally unrelated to photography, that use SmugMug to advertise their services and products on the Internet. Any justification you can come up with why these businesses should have other company's advertisement in their footer? Hey, don't get me wrong... when a business uses some free hosting service - of course there will be some form of advertisement.. such as "Powered by Verison..." or similar, right? correct? Do you remember SmugMug being free? I suggest you know the facts (read my blog) before accusing me of overreaction. If you have absolute proof I am not telling the truth - say it.

UPDATE: OMG! Caroline! Where is the SmugMug footer on YOUR site??????? :D
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I don't even know what to tell you:) You obviously have made all the conclusions already and set you mind to some direction you are comfortable with. I actually read the TOC along with everything that I was offered at the time I bought the service. The harassment from SM to force me to keep their footer intact - is an illegal action. If it is not a big deal for you - that's your right. You can bend and dance to whatever music SM plays for you- it's your life, your choice. If you really want to know what is going one, read my blog on this issue: http://www.michaelshapirophotography.com/Blog/Post20130209/. If you care to read and, perhaps, try to understand, you will see that even such a famous figure as Michael Bonocore admitted to hide the footer in a way he told me is not permitted. But, hey, if you are willing to compromise on your rights as a consumer - good luck for you:)

Well, for someone who doesn't know what to tell, you have a lot to say. :)

I did read your posting. I understand where you are coming from. I am not a lawyer, but I've spent my life around I.T. contracts, and I think you are simply incorrect.

Are you right they sold you something and did not deliver and/or removed that feature -- absolutely. The advertising you mention seems pretty clear. But that's my point entirely -- they changed. They took away javascript after offering it as a feature. They took away a ton of features.

You can call it a change of direction, a bad idea, an unfriendly act or other subjective judgments.

To say it is "illegal" however, is what I mean by over the top. That implies it either rises to the level of fraud, or that it violates your contract with them.

If you look in their terms of use (the current claims to date from 2011), you see that you agree to any changes in the "Terms of use, and any other terms, policy or guideline governing your use of the site, at any time in its sole discretion". You also agree to waiving right to receive specific notice, and are told to review the terms "and any other applicable policies or guidelines on the site".

It seems clear to me that they can arbitrarily (and without even an obligation to refund your money) change their policies in any way they want, even to making your site no longer work.

BUT THEY DIDN'T. Or maybe more precisely they did, but did so in a mild fashion with a wink and a nod, and provided (indirectly through user participation they tolerate) a way to let you get away with non-conforming behavior. And even that's covered in #13 where they say "failure to enforce such rules in some instances does not constitute a waiver of our right to enforce" (though contextually one might argue this only applies to explicit Terms of Use not policies and guidelines).

I'm not taking issue with your complain they promised one thing and did not deliver. Though I think other posters have nailed the "no harm no foul" aspects even of that. But I do believe you weaken your own case by trying to argue the illegality of this. There's just no sign that Smugmug actually violated the law. Again, I am not a lawyer. Are you? Have you consulted one?

Is getting explicit vs implicit permission to do something you are already permitted to do WORTH it?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I was told -in writing - that removal of the footer advertising SmugMug is not allowed. It goes against advertised features of the product they sold me and against TOC. Is this good enough explanation of harassment?

I assume they told you this because you asked.

I shoot sports. Often I find myself looking for better angles. I've climbed on old bleachers, into the beds of golf carts to shoot over fences, waded into ponds, climbed embankments, and just gone into areas the public is not invited. I do not do this as an employee of the owner of the venue. I do not do it by stealth. They see me, no one complains. I'm often not the only photographer there, and some are much more adventurous than I.

Consider however -- I send them a written request, "can I go out into the non-public area X, and climb up onto a golf cart to shoot over that fence" and expect written permission. No manager is going to provide that without checking with their insurance company and/or lawyer, and I will get a flat "no - all guests must remain in the marked, permitted areas".

But I would never ask that question, as I don't want to know the answer. There is a time to ask permission, and there is a time instead to ask forgiveness.

Heck, next thing you know, you'll want me to ask my wife's permission for another piece of cake for desert, instead of just getting one while she gives me a dirty look but doesn't complain. Imagine how well asking for that permission in writing would go? eek7.gif
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013

It's at the bottom left, but I've increased the padding in the footer to push it down the page, a tip in one of the SmugMug videos, not even CSS code :)

UPDATE: I read your blog, really it's time to just move on.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thanks, Matt, for your level-headed response. You are fundamentally correct in your assertion.

I have become a bit sensitive to some of the posts I've come across lately here on Dgrin that seem to discount or dismiss the significance of other people's particular wants or needs for their Smugmug websites. Dgrin is, after all, the place to talk about that. But, I know that you are an earnest and well-intentioned poster on this forum and I apologize for my snide comment.

I think some of us (well, me, anyway) are just feeling a bit fried by the various bugs, changes, and uncertainty introduced in the new Smugmug release. Thanks again, Matt, for your reasoned reply.

(BTW, I didn't say I wasn't a professional photographer, I said I wasn't a professional wedding photographer. But I'll cop to still having it better than wedding pros! :D )
    Trust me, as someone who has been a SmugMug user since the days of the $99 pro account *AND* the ability to completely remove SmugMug branding entirely from my page, I have seen and felt my fair share of frustrations with their development, feature requests, etc. And nobody loves being OCD about visual details like me.

But a few years ago, it came to "do or die" for me and thankfully I chose to almost completely eliminate social media and online discussions from my diet. And it saved my life. I certainly still come here when I need help with something mission-critical, or when I want to make a feature suggestion. But I just cannot afford to beat dead horses anymore. And from time to time I come online to try and help others see the light, (such as right now, when as I've said a dozen times there exists a CSS fix for this whole issue so I have no idea why people are still ranting about it...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    .....But regardless of the above - why do you associate SmugMug footer issue with photography business? Do you relly think that only photographers use SmugMug? There are many other businesses, totally unrelated to photography, that use SmugMug to advertise their services and products on the Internet. Any justification you can come up with why these businesses should have other company's advertisement in their footer? Hey, don't get me wrong... when a business uses some free hosting service - of course there will be some form of advertisement.. such as "Powered by Verison..." or similar, right? correct? Do you remember SmugMug being free? I suggest you know the facts (read my blog) before accusing me of overreaction. If you have absolute proof I am not telling the truth - say it.

Unless Zenfolio or Pictage have SmugMug accounts and are trying to advertise their own services, I don't see how you have a point here.

There are INNUMERABLE paid internet services that still insist on putting at least some small linkback on their sites. Wordpress is chock-full of them.

Furthermore, every business usually reserves the right to change their product / service offerings / options at any time. Once again, there are INNUMERABLE examples on the internet of paid services that have changed or removed features.

The only reason I can possibly imagine why this thread is not DEAD is the fact that maybe you are all just worried that if you use the CSS fix, SmugMug may find you in breach of contract and close your account. Either that or, you're just debating on principle the fact that SmugMug has stated that it's not allowed, and is making it just slightly more difficult to actually do than if they had just given you a button.

Either way, you be crazy...

http://youtu.be/qh3qNrEBO9k
  • Options
    TimSebringPhotographyTimSebringPhotography Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2013
    AharonD wrote: »
    Thank you rolleyes1.gif

Yes, thanks! I think its ridiculous that business pros can not remove this normally -- the main SM page says "100% Customizable"... False advertising otherwise!
  • Options
    grosloulougrosloulou Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Yes, thanks! I think its ridiculous that business pros can not remove this normally -- the main SM page says "100% Customizable"... False advertising otherwise!

personnally i am not choked about adding smugmug footer on my page because proud of using it.
    It is just a pity we can't customize it a little bit.

for instance i'd like to have it on gallery pages but not on home pages in the middle of my collage :

here you see i hide it bottom right with login :
    http://www.labrophotography.com/

best regards
    marc
  • Options
    JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    Or at least let us change the wording. I'm not nor is smugmug 'Sharing' my photos, I'm selling them. How bout Site hosted by Smugmug Pro or something to that effect???

i agree with you about changing it to hosting not sharing. I don't want people wandering off my site either.
  • Options
    JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    Mima wrote: »
    Thx! clap.gif

Although i also hide the login link since i always log in via the smugmug site itself. after login it refers me back automatically to my site. the less clutter the better ;)

clap.gif it worked for me too. thanks. Now if I can just get rid of the share button and keywords I would be set.
  • Options
    MartinJDMartinJD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    I applied this script to my site - Click for Info

My site - Example

Can be tailored as you see fit...
  • Options
    fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    MartinJD wrote: »
    I applied this script to my site - Click for Info

My site - Example

Can be tailored as you see fit...
    Hi Martin
    before I put my hands on the CSS I'd like to ask you if I, as a Power plan subscriber, can amend the footer with the code you used for your website.
    Fabio
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    here you go - this depends on the "Login" being after the "Powered by ...", so if your theme (or SM) changes that this will no longer work.
    .sm-page-powered-by A:first-child
    {
       display: none;
    }

...assuming you turned off the main footer via the theme settings and all you have left is the little one.

a.s.

Thank you for this!!
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro