Options

RAW conversion: Adobe 1998 or sRGB

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited August 19, 2004 in Finishing School
What color space does everyone use when converting from RAW to JPEG, Adobe 1998 or sRGB, others? What default color space does everyone use for JPEG files in general? Is it the same all the time?
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Thomas,

I've been having trouble with this lately myself!

I've been bringing in RAW images in Adobe 1998. When I used Imageready or Save For Web... to generate a JPEG, the mode was switched to sRGB, and the results were horrible. I've started using Convert to Profile... (from the Image menu) to convert to sRGB before I use Imageready or Save for web. On the other hand, DoctorIt brings his RAW images in to Photoshop in sRGB and doesn't have to worry about the conversion.

To answer the second part of your question, any JPEG that is intended for display on the web should probably be in sRGB format.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Hey Thomas...I always convert to Adobe 1998 before post-processing. My prints come out great from the local Ritz Photo place.
    tmlphoto wrote:
    What color space does everyone use when converting from RAW to JPEG, Adobe 1998 or sRGB, others? What default color space does everyone use for JPEG files in general? Is it the same all the time?
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 19, 2004
    I believe it comes down to whether you will display on the web or print via consumer printers like Ritz, Shutterfly, Ofoto, and smugmug's printer, EZ Prints. If you do, the only real choice is sRGB because the web and those printers assume you use sRGB. Adobe 98 will give a washed-out look.

Adobe 98 is a good color space, but it's used for professional pre-press.

Here's more info: http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    I believe it comes down to whether you will display on the web or print via consumer printers like Ritz, Shutterfly, Ofoto, and smugmug's printer, EZ Prints. If you do, the only real choice is sRGB because the web and those printers assume you use sRGB. Adobe 98 will give a washed-out look.

Adobe 98 is a good color space, but it's used for professional pre-press.

Here's more info: http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color
    This is confusing to me.ne_nau.gif Scott Kelby in his new PS CS book says to use Adobe 98 because of the larger color gamut, but if all of the digital labs are assuming sRGB then this is not good advice as Baldy states above. Do all labs assume sRGB? I was under the mistaken impression that the labs would read the profile and print accordingly. I believe that my printer (Canon i9900) reads the profile, why don't the digital labs do this?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com