Options

Password-protected galleries seem to break the new Smugmug

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 14, 2013 in SmugMug Support
With a site wide password, even after entering the PW, a visitor sees a big blank white page in the Sophie design.

With the sitewide pw turned off, I can now pull galleries but the homepage with Recent ignores any password protected ones. If I disable pw on individual galleries, the 'recent images' box that I put on my homepage doesn't seem to pull any galleries that were recently protected.

I guess a way to fix this MIGHT be for me to remove all passwords except for the sitewide one. However, I do not see anyway to do this short of going gallery by gallery. Is there a bulk edit? And, I would really, really, really hate to do this only to find that a visitor with a sitewide pw entered would still get a blank home screen...

Finally, I can't find anyway to Feature a photo for a gallery.

Comments

• Options
    AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    eoren1 wrote: »
    With a site wide password, even after entering the PW, a visitor sees a big blank white page in the Sophie design.

With the sitewide pw turned off, I can now pull galleries but the homepage with Recent ignores any password protected ones. If I disable pw on individual galleries, the 'recent images' box that I put on my homepage doesn't seem to pull any galleries that were recently protected.

I guess a way to fix this MIGHT be for me to remove all passwords except for the sitewide one. However, I do not see anyway to do this short of going gallery by gallery. Is there a bulk edit? And, I would really, really, really hate to do this only to find that a visitor with a sitewide pw entered would still get a blank home screen...

Finally, I can't find anyway to Feature a photo for a gallery.

I have migrated aswell and find I have the same problem, however when i removed the PW, saved changes and reapplied the PW the gallery showed up.
    I also wondered about the feature image and it took me ages to find it rolleyes1.gif
    Whilst viewing a gallery, choose customise settings, gallery settings and there under basics settings is feature image.
    HTH
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    So I disabled ALL gallery passwords and only kept a site wide one. However, when a viewer goes to my site, the homepage is blank (even after entering the sitewide password) rather than showing the latest photo feed.

I tried Alan's trick above but it doesn't work for me. Latest photos only show up when sitewide pw is turned off
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    So it sounds like your New SmugMug site is live? I am assuming it has to be if you have visitors testing this for you. Can you please PM me with the site and the sitewide password so I can go ahead and test?

Thanks!

Michael
  • Options
    photorathphotorath Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    I think I am having a similar problem where my password protected galleries are not working. When someone I send the link to logins in with the gallery password, the images don't show up, just the little error [x].
  • Options
    tomjay6tomjay6 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    I am having same problem
    I am having the exact same problem as eoren1. I tried multiple design templates, but the Home page is always blank to my visitors. I am a bit surprised this did not surface during testing, as this is the default page and many people use site-wide passwords.

All of my folders are public, and I have a site-wide password to keep the gallery private. The new Shadow template works correctly when I am logged in as the site owner.

When my family are viewing the gallery with the site-wide password, however, the following problems occur:

1. Home link: 6 recent galleries do not appear
    2. Browse: works correctly
    3. Search: 0 search results on every search (see file 2)
    4. Keywords: list appears, but pressing on a link returns 0 results.

I have scoured the help pages, and tried for over an hour to reconfigure every setting I can think of, but can't get it to work correctly.

I emailed support (case 486699) and got a generic email reply from Kevin Wilson:

"At this time, those features (Recent Galleries, Search, and Keywords) are having troubles. We are working furiously to get them and running full throttle. :)"
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Support wrote me back that this appears to be a bug and they are working on it...
  • Options
    RuneRune Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    +1
    Same problem here. An error (icon with an X) is displayed for my images in the password protected galleries, when not logged in.

Hope you can give this bug priority, since it makes all the affected galleries unshareable.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Hiya Eyal,

I sent you a PM. Could you send me the link to the gallery in question?
  • Options
    AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hiya Eyal,

Is there a chance it is Browser specific?

I seemed to have cleared it when working with Safari on my Mac, but using Firefox and IE on my Laptop shows the same galleries as before with a blank?
  • Options
    GrumpybeardGrumpybeard Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    Experiencing the same problem.

If I am logged in as owner all feature pictures are shown as I have authorisation.

A new visitor to my site will not see any feature picture of a password protected gallery until after they have submitted the correct password for that gallery. I checked this by clearing cache then navigating to my site (on iPad with Safari).

I hope this can be resolved soon as I wish to share the new look galleries.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hiya Eyal,

PM'ed back but it is the homepage
    After entering the sitewide pw, a visitor is greeted by a big white page with a menu and nothing else.
    Meanwhile, I can see the Recent Image collage

Checked on Safari and Chrome on Mac as well as on iPad
  • Options
    n1r0tn1r0t Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    I'm having the same issues as Grumpybeard and Rune. Although it's not ALL password protected galleries, just the bulk of them. Please help!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Any updates on this?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Over one month later...nothing??? really???
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    I have the same problem. I've been following this issue and Smugmug have added it to their Bug Fix To-Do List.
    But the SM folks appear to be snowed under with with the new Smug. Who knows how long it will take? Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    milkweedphotomilkweedphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    This is not good.

After much hemming and hawing about making a move to Squarespace I decided to stay with Smugmug bc it seemed, after playing with the new customization, that I could get what I needed without having to migrate my galleries. But there are too many problems. Passwords breaking your site? Layout getting completely screwed up on an iPad? These are basic functionalities of a 2013 website.

Not to mention that even after creating a custom domain I am stuck with the 90s "www" before my site name in the address bar. Ack. Wish I'd played more before committing for another year.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins

Not to mention that even after creating a custom domain I am stuck with the 90s "www" before my site name in the address bar. Ack. Wish I'd played more before committing for another year.

Uh, apparently you didn't read the awesome help page for custom domains :)

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340 it tells you right there how to set up your domain so that it works without www

like http://moonriverphotography.com
  • Options
    I did read that. And mine, typed in without "www," gets a "www" popped in front--just as moonriver does--as the page appears in the browser. It isn't a huge deal. I personally don't like how it looks. I would prefer that that "www" not appear in the address bar. But, bigger fish to fry. Thanks for the link though.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    I did read that. And mine, typed in without "www," gets a "www" popped in front--just as moonriver does--as the page appears in the browser. It isn't a huge deal. I personally don't like how it looks. I would prefer that that "www" not appear in the address bar. But, bigger fish to fry. Thanks for the link though.

That's not SM doing anything. It's your browser :) Try http://ibm.com or http://google.com
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2013
    You are correct.

I'm being paranoid.

Thank you.