Three choices for entry

AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited December 6, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
42337877.jpg

3a7fd671.jpg

6c4be2de.jpg

I took these tonight. I'm having a hard time choosing between these three.
If anyone has any suggestions on which one to use, or how to make them better, please speak up =).
Nikon D50
Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Comments

• cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    wow.
    Oh wow. I love the saturation! thumb.gif

The middle one would probably be my favorite from a colors perspective, but the contents of the right hand glass just make it feel oddly over manipulated or over digitially massaged... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but somehting about that purple/peach/green stripe and the green/violet one below it just doesn't fell right.

The bottom one I like a lot from an abstract perspective, and the colors are gorgueous, but I guess I don't see as much reflection as in the first one. If I were trying to pick one, I think I'd go for the first... it has a great balance of reflected and direct image, and wow, those colors.clap.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Cabbey,
    Your comments are very helpful!
    I do understand what you mean about the middle one, because I feel the same way. However, those honestly are not far off the original colors, oddly enough. Maybe if I made the colors like the first one.

Non-PS Original colors:

5dd7915d.jpg
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    I like the second one without any color corrections/minuplations. The first one I like as well but the white line going through the picture bothers me. Are these glasses? Very cool idea. I really like abstact images. I was going to do do an abstarct reflection picture as well.
    edited December 5, 2005
    ShannonW: Yes, they're glasses filled with water. One has a small amount of blue food coloring in it, and the other has a larger amount. There's actually three glasses there, but you can only see the two I guess. The yellow thing is a straw. They're sitting both on a mirror and/or on a thin cookie tray with a lip. I just put a little water on it and used some soap.

Makes for pretty good setup for taking water drop/splash photos =). Just have some bright lights (I just use two white, 500w halogen work lights - like $10 each at a hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot). Careful though, as halogens get pretty hot - esp 500w. When I had them set close to the water it would actually make the thin film of water steam (it was kinda cool - the steam was in a tornado type shape - got some okay pictures of that too).

Here's two more I took as possible entries, and an edited version of #2:

2630000b.jpg

0670c868.jpg

27db0261.jpg
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    Cabbey,
    Your comments are very helpful!
    I do understand what you mean about the middle one, because I feel the same way. However, those honestly are not far off the original colors, oddly enough. Maybe if I made the colors like the first one.

Non-PS Original colors:

5dd7915d.jpg

Am i being a pain if i say i do like this one best actually? The one you manipulated the colors on, looks a little too "screamy" to me.
    I also like the first one of your original three.

Ivar.
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    ShannonW: Yes, they're glasses filled with water. One has a small amount of blue food coloring in it, and the other has a larger amount. There's actually three glasses there, but you can only see the two I guess. The yellow thing is a straw. They're sitting both on a mirror and/or on a thin cookie tray with a lip. I just put a little water on it and used some soap.

Makes for pretty good setup for taking water drop/splash photos =). Just have some bright lights (I just use two white, 500w halogen work lights - like $10 each at a hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot). Careful though, as halogens get pretty hot - esp 500w. When I had them set close to the water it would actually make the thin film of water steam (it was kinda cool - the steam was in a tornado type shape - got some okay pictures of that too).

Very creative thought process. I still like the second untouched version.

0670c868.jpg

27db0261.jpg
    I seriously love these! iloveyou.gif Great perspective and cool color! I can't decide between color or B&W but If I had to pick hmmmm......the color?? Ya know it does not bother me that the top is really light it adds to it. I know others may not like it b/c it looks over exposed.
    edited December 6, 2005
    Thank you very much guys. I think I'm gonna go with this one for now. This is the second one, completely un-PS'd except cropping, border, and sharpening.

reflections001.jpg

Though... that first one is really tempting me. And, Ivar, of course it's not a pain.
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight