Options

Blog and Bio Page

bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited August 25, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Can anyone point me to instructions for putting a blog and bio page in the new customization please?
“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited July 30, 2013
    Can anyone point me to instructions for putting a blog and bio page in the new customization please?
    For a bio page you can create a page (as opposed to a gallery). If you look at my site, the Kaleidoscope, Gallery, and About links on the navbar all open pages.

Blog - there isn't a blog, but depending on how many blog entries you write you could use a page as a blog. Michael Bonocore uses pages for his blog entries - http://www.mb-photography-sf.com/Blog.

I still have my blog in blogger. It matched the look of my old site; today I changed it to match the look of my new site. Links to my unveiled smug site and blog are below.

--- Denise
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Thx Denise!
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    For a bio page you can create a page (as opposed to a gallery). If you look at my site, the Kaleidoscope, Gallery, and About links on the navbar all open pages.

Blog - there isn't a blog, but depending on how many blog entries you write you could use a page as a blog. Michael Bonocore uses pages for his blog entries - http://www.mb-photography-sf.com/Blog.

I still have my blog in blogger. It matched the look of my old site; today I changed it to match the look of my new site. Links to my unveiled smug site and blog are below.

--- Denise

Denise, I'm going to give Michaels blog page a shot, since I'm not a big blogger just more for content. How is he doing that? Creating a page and adding images then connecting to a page?? Or is it a page then connected in some other way?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Denise, I'm going to give Michaels blog page a shot, since I'm not a big blogger just more for content. How is he doing that? Creating a page and adding images then connecting to a page?? Or is it a page then connected in some other way?
    Connie -
    I believe Michael's blog entry links to a page that contains other pages. The pages within that blog page are pages containing text and photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Connie -
    I believe Michael's blog entry links to a page that contains other pages. The pages within that blog page are pages containing text and photos.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, yes playing with it and seeing that now, but can't figure out how to get those separate blog pages on the main blog page.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thanks Denise, yes playing with it and seeing that now, but can't figure out how to get those separate blog pages on the main blog page.
    Each blog entry will need to be a separate page containing text and photos. Then the top level blog page will need to include the individual blog pages.

I just created a test page. For the content on the page I selected Navigation... Pages. I was then able to select other pages to show on the page that I was building. You will want to select an image to represent each page so you'll have images on the page you'll be referencing as your blog.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Each blog entry will need to be a separate page containing text and photos. Then the top level blog page will need to include the individual blog pages.

I just created a test page. For the content on the page I selected Navigation... Pages. I was then able to select other pages to show on the page that I was building. You will want to select an image to represent each page so you'll have images on the page you'll be referencing as your blog.

--- Denise

Ahhh! thanks, I think the Navigation page is the answer! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    To add to this if you already started a blog there is a "Feed" block you can use which is what I am going to be using when I unveil. Its supper easy to use and this way you can intergrade say a blog you've already started right onto your site. I was having a really hard time trying to figure out what code to use for the Smugmug Templet Nav Bar so I decided to use a "Feed" block instead and it works just fine.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    ko04 wrote: »
    To add to this if you already started a blog there is a "Feed" block you can use which is what I am going to be using when I unveil. Its supper easy to use and this way you can intergrade say a blog you've already started right onto your site. I was having a really hard time trying to figure out what code to use for the Smugmug Templet Nav Bar so I decided to use a "Feed" block instead and it works just fine.
    Keep in mind that a feed is just that - your posts in date order. If you would like folks to be able to go back to previous posts based on labels or on dates they will still need to go to your blog.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Keep in mind that a feed is just that - your posts in date order. If you would like folks to be able to go back to previous posts based on labels or on dates they will still need to go to your blog.

--- Denise

Good to know Denise, you always have great insight. I will keep that in mind I'm working on getting a custom nav bar with my own coding so If I get that then I will have no problem matching my code since I've done that before. Anyways thanks again for the insight!