(Not) Making a Badge

beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinningPosts: 854Registered Users Major grins
edited August 31, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Struggling to make a badge with the new SM.

In the old SM it went something like: Owner Share > Show Off > Slideshow/Badge

I can't find a similar clickpath in the new SM.

I found http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93259 but that's not been updated since Apr 19, 2013 08:28AM PDT
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

  • richWrichW SmugMug QA Southern CaliforniaPosts: 938Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Struggling to make a badge with the new SM.

    In the old SM it went something like: Owner Share > Show Off > Slideshow/Badge

    I can't find a similar clickpath in the new SM.

    I found http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93259 but that's not been updated since Apr 19, 2013 08:28AM PDT

    I'm not sure what the status of the 'Show Off' button is. I'll send a message over to the product team and let them know it's missing.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the status of the 'Show Off' button is. I'll send a message over to the product team and let them know it's missing.
    Thanks for that. I do hope that badges don't get added to the growing list of things that we've been robbed of.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Keep Thou my Feet Posts: 1,933Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Struggling to make a badge with the new SM.

    In the old SM it went something like: Owner Share > Show Off > Slideshow/Badge

    I can't find a similar clickpath in the new SM.

    I found http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93259 but that's not been updated since Apr 19, 2013 08:28AM PDT

    Why, why, why, was every help page not updated BEFORE the release? I'm just incredulous that there seems to be surprise at all the questions, and then features we begged for in the request forum & eventually got, we're supposed to go there and beg for again because it's now lost again. I have badges and slideshows embedded and linked all over the place, so now if I'd even hit "migrate" they'd probably all disappear. And once I'd publish, they'll disappear for sure.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • BowoBowo Beginner grinner Posts: 5Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2013
    I have badges and slideshows embedded and linked all over the place, so now if I'd even hit "migrate" they'd probably all disappear. And once I'd publish, they'll disappear for sure.

    I migrated to the New Smugmug and all badges and embeddable slideshows kept on working (for now I guess). The New Smugmug does not have these wonderful features anymore. While these features are gone for now, I read that the developpers take into concern our demands, so let's all ask for these features, and maybe they will be added again. I really need them for my sites.

    http://www.focusgeraardsbergen.be
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Keep Thou my Feet Posts: 1,933Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Bowo wrote: »
    I migrated to the New Smugmug and all badges and embeddable slideshows kept on working (for now I guess). The New Smugmug does not have these wonderful features anymore. While these features are gone for now, I read that the developpers take into concern our demands, so let's all ask for these features, and maybe they will be added again. I really need them for my sites.

    http://www.focusgeraardsbergen.be
    Oh my gosh. I'm glad they still work (for now) but I can't imagine why they wouldn't have them available in the new SmugMug! They encouraged us to use these all over the internet, which we did. In fact, many of us were still finding new ways to use them! I have them on several other websites; in fact, one is a store which uses the slideshow badge/widget to show their furniture wares. It looks wonderful. It angers me that we should have to beg to get this back in the new SmugMug.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • JSmockJSmock Big grins Posts: 22Registered Users Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Unfortunately, according to the new faq, the badges and embedded slideshows are not available in the new SmugMug

    3) What features are available in Legacy that are not currently available in the new SmugMug?

    Gallery comments

    Communities

    Map This

    Thumbs down

    Custom RCP message

    Show Off (badges and embeddable slideshow)

    I have a website that has hundreds of embedded slideshows that are a big part of the website. I've asked the 'heros' if the slideshows will still work if I unveil but they refuse to answer me. They skirt around it and send me to the new faq but in 5 tries, they will not give me a straight answer. Very unusual for the usually helpful heros and frustrating for me since I've been a paying customer for over 6 years and I need to know one way or the other.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Keep Thou my Feet Posts: 1,933Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    JSmock wrote: »
    Unfortunately, according to the new faq, the badges and embedded slideshows are not available in the new SmugMug

    3) What features are available in Legacy that are not currently available in the new SmugMug?

    Gallery comments

    Communities

    Map This

    Thumbs down

    Custom RCP message

    Show Off (badges and embeddable slideshow)

    I have a website that has hundreds of embedded slideshows that are a big part of the website. I've asked the 'heros' if the slideshows will still work if I unveil but they refuse to answer me. They skirt around it and send me to the new faq but in 5 tries, they will not give me a straight answer. Very unusual for the usually helpful heros and frustrating for me since I've been a paying customer for over 6 years and I need to know one way or the other.
    NO maps either?? Are you serious? No. Please.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the status of the 'Show Off' button is. I'll send a message over to the product team and let them know it's missing.

    I hope this is going to be available. I use that feature all the time. I make a new one every week.
    Rich
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I know this is not an answer we're looking for but Flikr offers an embeddable slideshow if you need to embed one into a web site. http://flickrslidr.com/
    Rich
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Keep Thou my Feet Posts: 1,933Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    rkw624 wrote: »
    I know this is not an answer we're looking for but Flikr offers an embeddable slideshow if you need to embed one into a web site. http://flickrslidr.com/
    Yes, that would be especially sad for me, because I have no photos on Flickr (I'm scared of the way they evidently strip out your data) and also my slideshow badges embedded elsewhere all link back here to certain galleries on SmugMug, where my photos live. You would THINK that SmugMug would want this business.... the more people who see that & come here, the more may get the idea to host their photos here, right?! Ahh goodness. I feel like I understand nothing around here anymore (about how the upper echelons of Smug brains are working) Anyway, I know you're trying to help find workarounds though, so in that regards-- thank you!!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Mosaic badge - any news?
    Anybody hear anything about badges and the mosaic badge in particular.
    Rich
  • guyguy Major grins Posts: 189Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    rkw624 wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything about badges and the mosaic badge in particular.

    I haven't seen a single thread where a SM employee even addresses the loss of badges!

    I'm not holding my breath for their return, it's the first time I've gone through an upgrade where a whole bunch of great features were taken away & its still called an upgrade :^(..
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,492Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    I use the mosaic badge in about every blog post going back years.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Keep Thou my Feet Posts: 1,933Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single thread where a SM employee even addresses the loss of badges!

    I'm not holding my breath for their return, it's the first time I've gone through an upgrade where a whole bunch of great features were taken away & its still called an upgrade :^(..
    Is this in "Feature Requests" yet? (then again, I don't know if it's much use until they figure out what the heck they're gonna do about JavaScript) Maybe it should be though, because I just saw MBonocore is not bothering to read the Support thread if possible because he's trying to work through Feature Requests.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Is this in "Feature Requests" yet?
    Why should it be in "Feature Requests"? I consider anything that we had in Legacy and lost in New to be a Bug to be fixed.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Anybody hear anything about badges and the mosaic badge in particular? Anybody from SmugMug care to reply to this question? I have an excellent customer of mine that would like an answer. Me too!
    Rich
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Posts: 2,299Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Why should it be in "Feature Requests"? I consider anything that we had in Legacy and lost in New to be a Bug to be fixed.

    Beardedgit,

    A bug is a part of a product that has a default, causing it not to behave properly. This is not a bug, since this was not included in the New SmugMug, and therefore, nothing is broken. The bug/feature argument will do nothing to help keep this process orderly. I know what I am doing here, and everything, whether it be a bug or feature requests, gets looked at and carefully analyzed. Whether I submit this as a bug or a feature request changes the ultimate outcome or time frame in no way.

    So yes, this is a feature request. I have added it to the feature request forum.

    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240000
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Beardedgit,

    A bug is a part of a product that has a default, causing it not to behave properly. This is not a bug, since this was not included in the New SmugMug, and therefore, nothing is broken. The bug/feature argument will do nothing to help keep this process orderly. I know what I am doing here, and everything, whether it be a bug or feature requests, gets looked at and carefully analyzed. Whether I submit this as a bug or a feature request changes the ultimate outcome or time frame in no way.

    So yes, this is a feature request. I have added it to the feature request forum.

    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240000
    Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Please feel free to delete mine.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Posts: 2,299Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Please feel free to delete mine.

    No worries. No need to delete thumb.gif

    Just want everyone to know that no matter if it's a bug or feature request, it will be getting the same attention. I just want to try to keep these forums in as much order as possible....which, as you can tell, is no easy task. :cry
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    No worries. No need to delete thumb.gif

    Just want everyone to know that no matter if it's a bug or feature request, it will be getting the same attention. I just want to try to keep these forums in as much order as possible....which, as you can tell, is no easy task. :cry
    OK, but please hear me out regarding the bug/feature request thing. I have badges, created in Legacy, embedded in blogs etc. They still work but now that New SM has no Badge facility, I can no longer maintain/edit those badges. That's why I consider it to be a bug - not because we can't create, but because SM no longer allows us to maintain/edit. What say you?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Posts: 2,299Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    OK, but please hear me out regarding the bug/feature request thing. I have badges, created in Legacy, embedded in blogs etc. They still work but now that New SM has no Badge facility, I can no longer maintain/edit those badges. That's why I consider it to be a bug - not because we can't create, but because SM no longer allows us to maintain/edit. What say you?

    Software changes. Some things are added, some things are taken away. This was not included in the New SmugMug. So to bring it back, would be a feature request.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Understood.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Beardedgit,

    A bug is a part of a product that has a default, causing it not to behave properly. This is not a bug, since this was not included in the New SmugMug, and therefore, nothing is broken. The bug/feature argument will do nothing to help keep this process orderly. I know what I am doing here, and everything, whether it be a bug or feature requests, gets looked at and carefully analyzed. Whether I submit this as a bug or a feature request changes the ultimate outcome or time frame in no way.

    So yes, this is a feature request. I have added it to the feature request forum.

    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240000

    Thank you.
    Rich
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Posts: 2,299Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Sorry guys. Badges, in the state that you know them, will not be added to the New SmugMug.
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,492Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Sorry guys. Badges, in the state that you know them, will not be added to the New SmugMug.
    Will there be something to replace it with?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Not grinning Posts: 854Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Sorry guys. Badges, in the state that you know them, will not be added to the New SmugMug.
    Understood, I guess we can't win 'em all.

    Are you at liberty to explain why they won't be added?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Posts: 2,299Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Understood, I guess we can't win 'em all.

    Are you at liberty to explain why they won't be added?

    Allen, we aren't sure. The product is ever evolving, so we will have to wait and see.

    Bearedgit, In order to be able to maintain a healthy/updated code base to build out the New SmugMug, is my guess....
  • rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Sorry guys. Badges, in the state that you know them, will not be added to the New SmugMug.

    Wow, nothing like being hung out to dry. This has got to be one of the most poorly handled situations I have seen in quite a while. Nothing like PO ing your customers and ours.
    Rich
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,492Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Wow! Now they're not allowing Flash on other sites? Seems to me all they have to so is fix the code
    so it draws from the new content.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
Sign In or Register to comment.