Options

Gallery Organization

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited August 13, 2013 in Weddings
Hi, All. I used to post a bit around here a couple years ago, but life has been crazy with the addition of our first kiddo. Anyways...

I've been puttering around on the new SmugMug. Love the potential! But it has really made me think about how I organize my galleries. Right now my clients find their photos by clicking on their names in a long list (seen here). On my end, I have them sorted out like this (the bolds are categories/subcategories):

Weddings>Year>Couple's Name (and sometimes I've gone so far as to make additional smart galleries like "Getting Ready", "Ceremony", "Portraits", etc.)
Portraits>Type>Couple's Name

But now I'm thinking that using the couple's names as a category wouldn't be so bad.
Couple's Name>Engagement
Couple's Name>Wedding>Getting Ready

Am I completely overthinking this? That sort of gets rid of using "events" in a way, but I'm not sure how much they are going to be really supported in the new SmugMug in the first place. :dunno
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    My plan is

Weddings> Year> Couple's Name> Getting Ready
    Weddings> Year> Couple's Name> Ceremony
    Weddings> Year> Couple's Name> Formals
    Weddings> Year> Couple's Name> Reception
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    My plan is

I think this is the best way to do it, however I noticed that the orignal poster is linking to event pages, not categories or sub-categories.

It is unfortunate that we currently cannot just link our clients directly to a main events page, however until they improve that organization I personally prefer to just send my clients a direct link to their event page.

In the future, I would love to see SmugMug just combine the Events and Folders. They would function just the same as a Category or Subcategory. Unfortuately right now events can contain galleries from multiple parent categories, so I can see how this would become extremely complicated. But then again they were able to pull off "Smart Galleries", so I think they can figure out how to turn events into regular folders...

I would also love to have the same new back-end organization for my events as my folders and galleries. Having a massive long list of events is just terrible, considering that I work for a studio that does 150+ weddings per year.

Until then, we're stuck organizing each "gig" within a different folder structure, and then unifying them by creating a separate event page.

With that in mind, here are a few suggestions:

Weddings > Year > Month > Client's date and name > Galleries with sorted images from wedding day
    Engagements > Year > Month > Galleries with client's date and name
    etc. etc. etc.

OR, if you're a lower volume business, you can simplify it:

2013 Weddings > Client's date and name > Galleries with sorted images
    2013 Portraits > Galleries with client's date and name
    2014 Weddings >
    2014 Engagements >
    etc. etc. etc.

The important thing to remember is that you want your system to be as simple as your client volume can allow. If you're only shooting ~20 weddings and ~20 portrait sessions per year, you probably only need yearly categories, and you can either do it within main "Weddings" categories, or you can just break it down with one main category and combine both years and the subject into one main category.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013

In the future, I would love to see SmugMug just combine the Events and Folders. They would function just the same as a Category or Subcategory. Unfortuately right now events can contain galleries from multiple parent categories, so I can see how this would become extremely complicated. But then again they were able to pull off "Smart Galleries", so I think they can figure out how to turn events into regular folders...

I would also love to have the same new back-end organization for my events as my folders and galleries. Having a massive long list of events is just terrible, considering that I work for a studio that does 150+ weddings per year.

=Matt=

Agreed!!!

Even though I am going to arrange my galleries as I stated above, I still use Events to share with customers so they can mark favorites. So... I'll be adding those 4 galleries to an Event as well as a "Folder"...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    My plan is

I do a similar thing. IN a way , it doesn't make too much diference as I send them an email as to where to find them.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Agreed!!!

Even though I am going to arrange my galleries as I stated above, I still use Events to share with customers so they can mark favorites. So... I'll be adding those 4 galleries to an Event as well as a "Folder"...

Yeah and I think that to keep things simple for me in the future, I may even start bunching engagements and weddings within the same folder, somehow. I'm thinking of just putting all engagements in the wedding folder for that respective client, and eliminating my "Engagements" category altogether. Then creating a new separate one for "portraits" that only include one-off sessions such as family portraits or seniors or whatnot. I don't do many portrait sessions that aren't attached to a wedding, so this kinda makes sense!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    That's what I finally did as well. thumb.gif
    Yeah and I think that to keep things simple for me in the future, I may even start bunching engagements and weddings within the same folder, somehow. I'm thinking of just putting all engagements in the wedding folder for that respective client, and eliminating my "Engagements" category altogether. Then creating a new separate one for "portraits" that only include one-off sessions such as family portraits or seniors or whatnot. I don't do many portrait sessions that aren't attached to a wedding, so this kinda makes sense!
  • Options
    karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Good post some helpful info here, something I have pondered myself
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think I was just over thinking it. I don't do a ton of weddings a year anymore, but keeping the backend organized for myself is more my concern. So I'm sticking with Weddings>Year>Couple and still using events to group shoots for the same couple/family together. Now if only I could feature events and have a photo show up instead of the blank box so I wouldn't have to do the coding myself. :)
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User